Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise after repairs

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/06, 12:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise after repairs

I recently had my 2005 GT repaired at a Ford dealership - there was a bent axle which caused my front left wheel bearing to fail (and a host of other issues that I don't think are related)... so they replaced the axle and wheel bearing and the car drives fine... however about 80% of the time when I start the car until about 10 minutes of driving, there is a clicking sound coming from that same area. It seems to go away once the car is warmed up, which is also confusing to me. Any ideas what this clicking could be? Should I rush it back immediately? Its been about a month...
Old 9/19/06, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by geoffpelosi
I recently had my 2005 GT repaired at a Ford dealership - there was a bent axle which caused my front left wheel bearing to fail (and a host of other issues that I don't think are related)... so they replaced the axle and wheel bearing and the car drives fine... however about 80% of the time when I start the car until about 10 minutes of driving, there is a clicking sound coming from that same area. It seems to go away once the car is warmed up, which is also confusing to me. Any ideas what this clicking could be? Should I rush it back immediately? Its been about a month...
Replaced wheelbearing and now theres clicking.. I have not dealt with the wheel bearings on the 05's.. are they a cartridge type (no adjustment)? I know with my Rangers that if they're not adjusted perfectly the bearings basically eat themselves. Have a warranty? No reason not to bring it in.
Old 9/19/06, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

I guess I'm confused... I don't see how a bent axle can cause a front wheel bearing to fail... since the axle is in the rear. I can certainly see the rear axle bearing failing... but.. huh?
So, because of that.. I guess I'm not understanding which area the clicking is coming from.. the axle or the front wheel bearing?
Old 9/19/06, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bet he meant the Spindle.
Old 9/19/06, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by manystangs
I bet he meant the Spindle.
I can assume... but I didn't want to make an *** out of him..... oops.. I might already have done that.
Sorry Geoff.
Was it the spindle they replaced? And to help with your problem.. if you want to try to iscolate it yourself, jack the front of the car off the ground, spin the wheel by hand and listen for where it's coming from. See if you can see anything obvious... something tapping on the dust cover or something. It might be something that you can see... otherwise take her back in and get her looked at.
Old 9/19/06, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by clintoris
I can assume... but I didn't want to make an *** out of him..... oops.. I might already have done that.
Sorry Geoff.
Was it the spindle they replaced? And to help with your problem.. if you want to try to iscolate it yourself, jack the front of the car off the ground, spin the wheel by hand and listen for where it's coming from. See if you can see anything obvious... something tapping on the dust cover or something. It might be something that you can see... otherwise take her back in and get her looked at.
Dust cover is a noise culprit waaaaay too often. All of the female friends would bring their cars to our house in college when they had a weird noise. You'd be surprised how many times a little handpressure on the shield fixes even the ugliest noises. But... we always had to ask them how the heck did you manage to bend that ? and of course it was always I bent one before on my Ranger, but I can atleast go back and show you the exact rock and how I managed to smack it.
Old 9/19/06, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Dust cover is a noise culprit waaaaay too often. All of the female friends would bring their cars to our house in college when they had a weird noise. You'd be surprised how many times a little handpressure on the shield fixes even the ugliest noises. But... we always had to ask them how the heck did you manage to bend that ? and of course it was always I bent one before on my Ranger, but I can atleast go back and show you the exact rock and how I managed to smack it.
there are just some things that you know not to ask...
Old 9/20/06, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

there are just some things that you know not to ask...

Yeah, like.. "how much did that cost?"
Old 9/20/06, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Yeah, like.. "how much did that cost?"
... one of many...
Old 9/20/06, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

I guess I'm confused... I don't see how a bent axle can cause a front wheel bearing to fail... since the axle is in the rear. I can certainly see the rear axle bearing failing... but.. huh?
So, because of that.. I guess I'm not understanding which area the clicking is coming from.. the axle or the front wheel bearing?

I'm honestly not very good with body repairs, but after I picked up car up initially from a non Ford repair shop, I noticed an extremely loud buzzing/humming coming from the car... the scumbag body shop told me it was normal road noise, I brought it to Ford, and they told me the axle and housing needed replacing and that the axle caused the wheel bearing to fail. Now I have the clicking sound that I wrote about initially and its tough for me to find the time to bring it back to Ford, but I definitely will have to. I don't even have a jack around to lift it up and spin the wheel to identify the noise. I'm not sure how to check the dust cover or anything else without a jack. I guess the best option is bring it to Ford for an entire day. Thanks everyone.
Old 9/21/06, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

yeah, that sucks.... most people don't have the time to go sit and wait, which means that you have to inconvenience someone else to go with you to drop the car, etc.
that sucks.
Originally Posted by geoffpelosi
I don't even have a jack around to lift it up and spin the wheel to identify the noise. I'm not sure how to check the dust cover or anything else without a jack.
have you thought about using the jack in the spare tire well?