2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Chevy isn't afraid . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 06:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt+December 6, 2004, 5:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97svtgoin05gt @ December 6, 2004, 5:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 3:03 PM
They can't admit it at all, though for the 06 Model year the Impala and the Monte Carlo are getting redesigned and SS Models will have the LS1 v8.

The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the V8 is coming soon.

Ford hit a homerun with the Mustang, but the Five Hundred is pretty weak offering.

Right now I don't think GM's big goal is to compete with the Mustang, I think they know this and don't care.
Not sure I completely agree that the 500 is a "weak" offering. True, the Duratech offers only 200hp in a large sedan, but shortly, the DT 3.5 will be here offering 250hp. That combined with the CVT and the AWD will put it in a class by itself among it's piers from the US. Not sure I can name another full size 250hp v-6 sedan with CVT that's as nice for under 30K. [/b][/quote]
They better restyle the 500 and quick. Bland styling is killing the GTO.
Old 12/6/04, 06:45 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+December 6, 2004, 9:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ December 6, 2004, 9:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@December 6, 2004, 5:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1
@December 6, 2004, 3:03 PM
They can't admit it at all, though for the 06 Model year the Impala and the Monte Carlo are getting redesigned and SS Models will have the LS1 v8.

Ford hit a homerun with the Mustang, but the Five Hundred is pretty weak offering.

Right now I don't think GM's big goal is to compete with the Mustang, I think they know this and don't care.

Not sure I completely agree that the 500 is a "weak" offering. True, the Duratech offers only 200hp in a large sedan, but shortly, the DT 3.5 will be here offering 250hp. That combined with the CVT and the AWD will put it in a class by itself among it's piers from the US. Not sure I can name another full size 250hp v-6 sedan with CVT that's as nice for under 30K.
They better restyle the 500 and quick. Bland styling is killing the GTO. [/b][/quote]
The Five Hundred is selling well, unlike the GTO. Time will tell if the Five Hundred will continue to sell well.
Old 12/6/04, 06:47 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you all noticed? They are trying to make that POS corvette wanna be Cobalt all cool....

Saw it at the auto show, it is a Piece of Crap- all plasticy like a neon and such. Yeech!
Old 12/6/04, 06:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by BeachFord@December 4, 2004, 7:21 AM
Chevy has solved its problem! Announcing the purchase of a fine Yugoslavian car firm by General Motors. And coming soon......The Yugo SS!

In case you didn't know (and you probably didn't), Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore.

Now there is Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, and Serbia & Montenegro.

By the way, few years ago there was Yugo on the cover of Car And Driver called "'Vette Killer." It was faster than Z06.

Wanna race? Yugo bellow is not one that was in Car And Driver, but with only 230 hp it can reach 0-60 mph in 4.3 sec and 1/4 mile in 12.8 sec.

Old 12/6/04, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt+December 6, 2004, 5:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97svtgoin05gt @ December 6, 2004, 5:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 3:03 PM

Not sure I completely agree that the 500 is a "weak" offering. True, the Duratech offers only 200hp in a large sedan, but shortly, the DT 3.5 will be here offering 250hp. That combined with the CVT and the AWD will put it in a class by itself among it's piers from the US. Not sure I can name another full size 250hp v-6 sedan with CVT that's as nice for under 30K. [/b][/quote]
While 300 does not have a CVT tranny you CAN get one with a 250HP 6 for under 30.

With the new duratec, and AWD its going to be pusing over 30.
Old 12/6/04, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 3:03 PM

The Impala, Monte Carlo, and Grand Prix are getting the LS4, not the LS1.
Old 12/6/04, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by jarednt1+December 6, 2004, 8:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jarednt1 @ December 6, 2004, 8:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1

Not sure I completely agree that the 500 is a "weak" offering. True, the Duratech offers only 200hp in a large sedan, but shortly, the DT 3.5 will be here offering 250hp. That combined with the CVT and the AWD will put it in a class by itself among it's piers from the US. Not sure I can name another full size 250hp v-6 sedan with CVT that's as nice for under 30K.
While 300 does not have a CVT tranny you CAN get one with a 250HP 6 for under 30.

With the new duratec, and AWD its going to be pusing over 30. [/b][/quote]
The Grand Prix GTP has 260 hp and MSRP at $27. No CVT though.
Old 12/6/04, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 2005RedzzGT@December 6, 2004, 7:35 PM
Drove the chevys, all of them-as a dare, please. They don't compare.
Give me a TrailBlazer/Envoy over an Explorer ANY day. The engine in the Trailblazer the 4.6l V6 cranks out 275hp while the OPTIONAL engine in the Explorer only cranks out 239hp.

While the cobalt can NOT compete with the GT model mustang at all. The cobalt SS puts out 205hp with a supercharger. While not enough to drop a Mustang GT that is enough to drop a v6 stang. $21,995 for a cobalt SS w/ 18 inch rims and leather fully loaded is a great price.

I do agree however that there is no way you can compare a Monte Carlo or Cobalt to a Mustang GT.
Old 12/6/04, 07:28 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt+December 6, 2004, 7:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97svtgoin05gt @ December 6, 2004, 7:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by USA-Adam@December 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-clintoris
@December 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
I have a question, and I know it's off topic, but speaking of NASCAR, since the Ford 500 is replacing the Taurus, I'm assuming that it will be the Ford car for NASCAR?
can anybody speak to this?

Well, first of all, the Five Hundred alone is not the replacement for the Taurus. The Five Hundred and the Fusion are going to fill that niche with two different size cars. My guess is that the Fusion will ultimately end up covering the Taurus's absence, although there is a good chance that Ford may just pull out of NASCAR completely considering the lack of good PR that they are getting out of it. I'm not really sure why the manufacturers are even in NASCAR anymore. The cars are all basically the same now anyway, with all the rules and "parity" .. kinda lame really. Also, with all the restrictions on the cars these days in efforts to "save the teams money," I'm not really sure what "gains" technologically are being made when that is considered. Let's keep in mind these cars are still using carburated power and pushrod power .. not that that is bad, but it's not "wave of the future" .. not innovative at all. I expect the big three to just plain pull out eventually.
You're crazy. They'll never pull out. NASCAR is the biggest grossing $$ wise of all professional sports. Bigger attendance, larger fan base, and more loyal. I don't see an end in sight for it at all. [/b][/quote]
I know we are getting kind of off topic, but I think one of the "Big 3" (term used loosely) will be pulling out of NASCAR in the future, and Ford may just in fact do that. Each manufacturer spends ~$120M in NASCAR . . . . the return on investment just isn't there as compared to the past.

The "new" fan base could care less about which car their favorite driver . . drives. (I think Dale Jr., and maybe even Jeff Gordon are the only drivers that have a Huge Chevy following. People would go nuts (in an angry fashion) if Jr. came to the track driving a Ford, or a Dodge.)

If NASCAR had their way they would rather have a "NASCAR" car. A spec car more or less . . .which is about what the cars are today.
Old 12/6/04, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Evil_Capri+December 6, 2004, 8:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil_Capri @ December 6, 2004, 8:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@December 6, 2004, 7:37 PM
Originally posted by USA-Adam@December 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-clintoris
@December 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
I have a question, and I know it's off topic, but speaking of NASCAR, since the Ford 500 is replacing the Taurus, I'm assuming that it will be the Ford car for NASCAR?
can anybody speak to this?

Well, first of all, the Five Hundred alone is not the replacement for the Taurus. The Five Hundred and the Fusion are going to fill that niche with two different size cars. My guess is that the Fusion will ultimately end up covering the Taurus's absence, although there is a good chance that Ford may just pull out of NASCAR completely considering the lack of good PR that they are getting out of it. I'm not really sure why the manufacturers are even in NASCAR anymore. The cars are all basically the same now anyway, with all the rules and "parity" .. kinda lame really. Also, with all the restrictions on the cars these days in efforts to "save the teams money," I'm not really sure what "gains" technologically are being made when that is considered. Let's keep in mind these cars are still using carburated power and pushrod power .. not that that is bad, but it's not "wave of the future" .. not innovative at all. I expect the big three to just plain pull out eventually.

You're crazy. They'll never pull out. NASCAR is the biggest grossing $$ wise of all professional sports. Bigger attendance, larger fan base, and more loyal. I don't see an end in sight for it at all.
I know we are getting kind of off topic, but I think one of the "Big 3" (term used loosely) will be pulling out of NASCAR in the future, and Ford may just in fact do that. Each manufacturer spends ~$120M in NASCAR . . . . the return on investment just isn't there as compared to the past.

The "new" fan base could care less about which car their favorite driver . . drives. (I think Dale Jr., and maybe even Jeff Gordon are the only drivers that have a Huge Chevy following. People would go nuts (in an angry fashion) if Jr. came to the track driving a Ford, or a Dodge.)

If NASCAR had their way they would rather have a "NASCAR" car. A spec car more or less . . .which is about what the cars are today. [/b][/quote]
I think that they would to, each car is now on a common templete.
Old 12/6/04, 07:44 PM
Cobra R Member

NASCAR side note - each one takes a small break in between models - just think back to T-Bird -> Taurus days...

fans point of view: the only Ford driver I can see myself cheering for is Sadler... Being a longterm Bowtie fan its going to be hard next season...
Old 12/6/04, 07:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 9:22 PM

Give me a TrailBlazer/Envoy over an Explorer ANY day. The engine in the Trailblazer the 4.6l V6 cranks out 275hp while the OPTIONAL engine in the Explorer only cranks out 239hp.

While the cobalt can NOT compete with the GT model mustang at all. The cobalt SS puts out 205hp with a supercharger. While not enough to drop a Mustang GT that is enough to drop a v6 stang. $21,995 for a cobalt SS w/ 18 inch rims and leather fully loaded is a great price.

Trailblazer vs Explorer on the track... yes, take the Trailblazer ANY day. But Ford didn't design the Explorer to do great in the 1/4 mile. If we compare driveability, comfort, etc for SUV's... give me the Explorer ALL DAY LONG!

The Colbalt... I still hate it. I don't even know why. Maybe I have issues.:crazy: The Mustang, even w/ a V6, is still American Muscle. The Colbalt, even though it's a GM, still screams Rice-a-Roni.

As always, IMO! eace:

I guess that's why there's more than one auto manufacturer.
Old 12/6/04, 08:20 PM

Here is something that I have put together, Chevy might want to look at when they are saying what is competing with what. Not saying that this doc is 100% accurate, just something that I threw together. It is only for the US big 3 manufacturers.
Old 12/6/04, 08:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You must be bored!

Pretty cool though!
Old 12/6/04, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@December 6, 2004, 9:25 PM
You must be bored!

Pretty cool though!
Yeah pretty much, didn't really care for who was playing in Monday Night Football.
Old 12/6/04, 08:27 PM
FR500 Member

please GET REAL
Old 12/6/04, 08:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jarednt1+December 6, 2004, 8:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jarednt1 @ December 6, 2004, 8:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1

With the new duratec, and AWD its going to be pusing over 30. [/b][/quote]
Won't deny the 300s viability as a strong compeditor, however, time will tell. If it's got the legendary (COUGH COUGH) Chrysler reliability and quality, 300s will peter out with issues by 40,000 miles.
Old 12/6/04, 08:30 PM
FR500 Member

i like that

pony car: mustang gto
Old 12/6/04, 09:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+December 6, 2004, 8:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (05GT-O.C.D. @ December 6, 2004, 8:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 9:22 PM

Trailblazer vs Explorer on the track... yes, take the Trailblazer ANY day. But Ford didn't design the Explorer to do great in the 1/4 mile. If we compare driveability, comfort, etc for SUV's... give me the Explorer ALL DAY LONG!

The Colbalt... I still hate it. I don't even know why. Maybe I have issues.:crazy: The Mustang, even w/ a V6, is still American Muscle. The Colbalt, even though it's a GM, still screams Rice-a-Roni.

As always, IMO! eace:

I guess that's why there's more than one auto manufacturer. [/b][/quote]
I disagree with your assumption on the TrailBlazer, it handles very well (for an SUV), and nice power output. I have driven both vehicles, the TrailBlazer was a very comfortable car. Yes the Explorer is a nice vehicle, but I think a TrailBlazer rides just as nice. With the added features like OnStar and XM Satellite Radio (Factory installed) it really has some advantages.

I do AGREE, I think un fair for Chevrolet to claim the cobalt is American muscle. Its more pandering to the Civic, EVO,WRX crowd.

I think however, GM needs to gain steam with Chrysler and get people excited about a car. Ford needs to do this somewhat as well, besides the Mustang they really have no other car that can gather excitement like the 300 did. The Five Hundred still has some potential it’s a very good-looking car. All they really need to do is put at least 50 more HP but another 100hp would be nice.
Old 12/6/04, 09:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt+December 6, 2004, 9:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97svtgoin05gt @ December 6, 2004, 9:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jarednt1@December 6, 2004, 8:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jarednt1

With the new duratec, and AWD its going to be pusing over 30.
Won't deny the 300s viability as a strong compeditor, however, time will tell. If it's got the legendary (COUGH COUGH) Chrysler reliability and quality, 300s will peter out with issues by 40,000 miles. [/b][/quote]
I think Chrysler has fixed allot of there reliability and Quality issues. With MB buying Chrysler I think it has fixed their quality. Sadly though I think MB quality has gone down hill since then.

We must also remember one thing, Ford does not have the greatest track record with Quality and Reliability.

Of course that’s my opinion.

Sorry Brad I know this is getting way off topic of this board.

Quick Reply: Chevy isn't afraid . . .