2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Carpet is wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/05, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled up the floormat on the drivers side, and found that the carpet is getting worn out beneath the gas pedal where my heel rests. The car is only 4 months old and I have a hole in the carpet. :angry: Is the carpet in the 05 that cheap? The floormat looks like new but the carpet underneath is already completely worn out. Has anybody else had this problem? I can't decide if I should take the car back to the dealer for replacement of the carpet, or just pull the orginal carpet and replace it with a better grade.
Old 10/6/05, 06:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Haven't had any wear problems yet, but I did notice while I vaccuum it, the carpet does seem to be of rather cheap quality...at least compared to what I have in my 13-year old Camry.
Old 10/6/05, 11:09 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The carpeting is cheap. I plan on getting an aluminum dead pedal and heel plate for mine over the winter. My dead pedal is wearing down.
Old 10/6/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

How is the carpet wearing out under the floor mats? :scratch:

It looks like same stuff my friend has in his 300C. It's OK for a Mustang, but a loaded $45K Chrysler? Heck the carpet in the trunk of my old Lincoln looked nicer!
Old 10/6/05, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

The original mats are very cheap and one of the first things I replaced.
I got some real nice thick personalized mats from http://www.ggbailey.com/.
I would recommend them highly.
Old 10/6/05, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

The carpet is worn completely down on mine to. My foot rests against the hump on the side at the gas pedal and its gone down to the backing.
Old 10/6/05, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

i just got the rubber floormats today from fordparts.com and they suck..narrower than the stock carpet ones. looks like it's from a totally different mustang! doesn't have the same lines at all! I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow..looks like whoever designed these were on crack.
Old 10/7/05, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Adrenal@October 6, 2005, 5:54 PM
The original mats are very cheap and one of the first things I replaced.
I got some real nice thick personalized mats from http://www.ggbailey.com/.
I would recommend them highly.

It's not the floor mats Adrenal. I bought expensive aftermarkets before I even got the car. (couldn't stand the red floormats) The floor mats that I put down are like new, what's worn out is the carpet underneath the floormat by the gas pedal where my heel rests. I can't figure out how it can wear through the base carpet when there are thick floorpads covering the spot without a mark on them.

From what some of the others have said, it sounds like Ford gave us some really cheap carpet. So If I have the dealer replace it with original it will just wear out again in 4 months. Rather than take it back under warantee, I guess I'm going to have to pull the carpet and put in a better grade.
Old 10/7/05, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Do the replacements have the correct gripes on the underside? If so then there should be no cause for premature wear of carpeting! Too lazy to go look, is the O5 minus the vinyl at the pedals? Penny pinchers, better to save the costs of their salaries and put out a quailty product.

Remember modifications can void manufactures warrantys! Best to find a mod friendly dealer for this problem.

On a side note, I have heal wear on my Cobra floor mat. Not the carpet.
Old 10/8/05, 10:08 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue with the carpet. Below/in front of the clutch the carpet is worn all the way to the backing. It's pretty bad considering the carpet is black and the wear spot is a whitish color. I've only had my car for a month. . other than this, and the quirks of the shaker 500, there's nothing wrong with my car...i still do love it! I'll probably take it in for the carpet within the next month or so.

ds
Old 10/8/05, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

The hook on the floor that holds the driver's mat in place has torn loose, leaving a hole through the carpet. Anyone had that happen?
Old 10/8/05, 09:19 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guess I will have to check out my carpet. When I bought a cavalier back in 95 the carpet ended up having some bald spots after a few months. Carpet was replaced twice. After the last time never had the problem again. I guess they finally went to a different supplier for the material. Hopefully FORD does the same thing.
Old 10/8/05, 10:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Nazgul@October 8, 2005, 7:47 PM
The hook on the floor that holds the driver's mat in place has torn loose, leaving a hole through the carpet. Anyone had that happen?
Dale AKA redfire snake had that happen in his 03 cobra, stock car, 10k miles. ripped the hook right out of it, normal driving too, nothing extravagant, just over time..
Old 10/11/05, 03:06 PM

The hook on mine is still attached, but has torn a hole in the carpeting so you can see the painted metal below. My GT is 6 mos. old and has all of the carpet wear described above. Really cheap stuff for sure.

I purchased a set of the "running pony" charcoal mats shortly after getting my GT. Whoever made these obviously didn't use a correct '05 template because they are way too small for the foot wells. A number of times I've actually caught my heel on the mat edge while driving. I wouldn't recommend these mats to anyone either. :notnice:
Old 10/12/05, 10:49 PM
Closet American

And we wonder why so many people won't touch domestic vehicles. Cheap, flimsy interiors are just one example of a systemic problem with North American auto manufacturers...and a big part of why they are experiencing financial losses while companies like Toyota are making record profits.

It ain't rocket science, Ford. C'mon, get with the program. We could see that this new Mustang had a cheap interior from the get! :notnice:
Old 10/13/05, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 12, 2005, 10:52 PM
And we wonder why so many people won't touch domestic vehicles. Cheap, flimsy interiors are just one example of a systemic problem with North American auto manufacturers...and a big part of why they are experiencing financial losses while companies like Toyota are making record profits.

It ain't rocket science, Ford. C'mon, get with the program. We could see that this new Mustang had a cheap interior from the get! :notnice:
Yet they sell 'em as fast as they build 'em. GT's that is.
Old 10/13/05, 09:02 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by manystangs@October 13, 2005, 12:58 PM
Yet they sell 'em as fast as they build 'em. GT's that is.
Yep. But too much bad word of mouth could put a dent in sales once the novelty wears off. I just think that in this era of global competition - which is hurting both Ford and GM - that we ought to be able to build interiors that use state of the art materials and don't wear out after a few months of use. If the new Ford Fusion can get raves in the press for its high quality interior, why can't the Mustang?

No good reason...only excuses.
Old 10/14/05, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 12, 2005, 10:52 PM

Think about it, though.... do the people working in the factories for the import cars get paid nearly what domestic factory workers get paid? Not even close.... the cost of living here in the states is so high that companies have to pay their employees a ton of money just so they can survive, and it eats up their profits.... not to mention their health care costs that are going through the roof, and the cost of fuel, and manufacturing costs all together going up... To make an affordable car, domestic manufactureres are going to have to cut costs somewhere.
The alternative? Outsource our factories and labor to foreign countries so we can pay somebody nickels a day to make a car out of better quality materials.
I don't like it at all.... I'm all in favor of keeping the jobs domestic, and spending my money on domestic cars to support our domestic economy.... but that's the ugly reality of it.
Old 10/14/05, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eh? Don't think these will wear out too quickly if you like the look. 2005 Mustang Aluminum Floor Mats
http://www.crossroadzdirect.com/
Old 10/14/05, 03:56 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by clintoris@October 14, 2005, 10:32 AM
Think about it, though.... do the people working in the factories for the import cars get paid nearly what domestic factory workers get paid? Not even close.... the cost of living here in the states is so high that companies have to pay their employees a ton of money just so they can survive, and it eats up their profits.... not to mention their health care costs that are going through the roof, and the cost of fuel, and manufacturing costs all together going up... To make an affordable car, domestic manufactureres are going to have to cut costs somewhere.
The alternative? Outsource our factories and labor to foreign countries so we can pay somebody nickels a day to make a car out of better quality materials.
I don't like it at all.... I'm all in favor of keeping the jobs domestic, and spending my money on domestic cars to support our domestic economy.... but that's the ugly reality of it.
One problem with that, though: look at the Acura TL; designed and built in the US of A using American labor and paying American wages - interior quality is not an issue THERE.

Then there's Germany: Mercedes and BMW workers enjoy a better standard of living than we do in North America...and the fit & finish on their vehicles is above ours.

Point being: the argument you use above doesn't explain the use of cheap materials. If it did, then how come the Ford Fusion has a good quality interior?

There's no excuse for interior bits of the new Mustang to wear out so soon. The REAL reason is that Ford is cash strapped and cut corners in order to add to their bottom line, knowing full well that the AVERAGE Mustang buyer won't care.