2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/20, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont start!

So I have a 2006 4.0 and it had been sitting for a few months after the battery being charged for approximately 45 mins it started. The next day it started normally I went over a speed bump at about 5 mph and it died! I got a jump battery cables were loose tightened them cranks but won't start. I checked my inertia switch pushed it back in I hear the fuel pump, but still wont start. Any suggestions?
Old 10/16/20, 09:56 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Welcome to the fourm.
Going over the speed bump might have dislodged something in the engine bay. Have you checked all your connections? (Battery, alternator..etc.)

When my car wouldnt start it was the flue cut off button that was pressed, but you already did that. So thats all I can suggest for now.
Or could be a bad battery. Have you gotten it checked?
Old 10/16/20, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Welcome to the fourm.
Going over the speed bump might have dislodged something in the engine bay. Have you checked all your connections? (Battery, alternator..etc.)

When my car wouldnt start it was the flue cut off button that was pressed, but you already did that. So thats all I can suggest for now.
Or could be a bad battery. Have you gotten it checked?
I checked them all the battery is holding a steady charge at 12.9 I took it to a shop he said my engine was blown which makes no sense, I don't trust it plus they don't even do engine work there! I really think I shifted my fuel pump.
Old 10/17/20, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy V! Welcome to the forums!

So... might need to go into more detail regarding your situation. You say the engine turns over, so that's good. Questions I have are:

Does it turn over smoothly, aka, it doesn't 'lope' or 'speed up' when it may hit one of the cylinders? (This is a differential compression check, if one cylinder is toast, the engine will speed up when it tries to compress it, or it will slow down because it can't... anyway it won't be smooth and steady in any event.)

If that's good, then we have good battery, starter, engine basically. Now we go after the suck, squeeze, bang, blow part of things.

I'm going to assume the intake and any sensors thereto are ok, and the air filter is fine. I'm going to ask if there might be an issue with the throttle body just to ask it, but I'm going to assume it's ok as the car would probably start if it was just stuck closed...

Squeeze we took care of above, probably, if it's smooth turning during start, so we'll move on.

Bang is fuel and spark. You've checked inertia switch. The other check is to turn the car off, wait a little bit, then turn the car to 'on', but DO NOT start. Listen for the fuel pump. You should hear some sort of whirring then maybe a 'click' and the whirring stops. If you don't hear the fuel pump, there's your problem, fix that. What will be needed to fix it is... yeah. Maybe the pump, maybe the connectors, maybe a bad inertia switch, maybe something else... that's where the diagnosin's gonna come in.

Spark is going to be crank sensor, cam sensors, computer, coil pack, wires and plugs. So check all those. Wires and plugs would probably just cause a dead cylinder, but the rest could cause the entire engine not working.

Blow. So all that above is good, but if it can't breathe out, it ain't gonna work. Exhaust is usually pretty clear, but the catalytic converters could be plugged after a speed bump depending on what's going on. A loose/cracked substrate brought on by a slight fuel leak over time and then shocked by a bump, and boom, the car can't breathe out. Although to actually kill the engine, well, even I admit that's probably not a good chance, you'd probably have noticed it before it got to that extreme... but I still wanna mention it.

Overall, my *guess* is that you've got a ground that is not good anymore, possibly, but more likely the fuel pump just died, or the computer did, or hopefully it's just the crank sensor is bad. That last is my particular armchair waaaaay over here guess, that'd do exactly what you have. No crank sensor? Can't figure out when to hit the spark and fuel for any of the cylinders, so it just cranks and cranks... Given the suddenness, it's very likely those are the three. I hope it's not the computer, of course...

...and then I remember this: Timing chains. Oh, man, if it's somehow timing chains on that engine somehow... ... I mean, it's possible the crankshaft gears or the main crankshaft timing chain got sheared off... that'd kill the timing right quick, no way the engine runs at all if that happened. You can check that with an actual compresssion check with the gauge and all that... or just take the spark plugs out and stick a thumb in it and see if there's compression at all, and on all 6 cylinders. Thankfully, the 4.0 is *not* an interference engine, so it can be saved if it's the chains or the jackshaft... but at what cost becomes the issue. The engine *must* be pulled to fix it. The right side bank cannot be done in the car. IF it's the crank or left side you might can do it in car. Overall, very costly unless doing it yourself... so...

Hope that helps. And hope I'm not doom and gloom correct here...

Good luck! Let us know what else we may need to know to help further.

Last edited by houtex; 10/17/20 at 02:49 PM.