2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Car & Driver flaunts Hyundai as Mustang Beater...

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/07, 09:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wjones14
Consumer Reports are independent, you're right, and that guarantees they won't be biased toward their bigger advertisers. But CR's focus seems to be reliability, value, economy, and safety, with performance lower on their priority list. Most people reading this forum prioritize with performance at the top of the list, then maybe styling/personality, and then whatever order you want to put the reliability, value, economy, safety factors somewhere lower on the list. Right?

So, yes CR is independent, but they are not necessarily auto enthusiasts. The editors at Car And Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, Automobile, etc. are enthusiasts - hence there is a much different focus in those magazines than Consumer Reports.
He, he, he. See post #4 . CR is a rag that raises my bloodpressure everytime I read it. They even rank Honda lawnmowers #1 and a CR Best Buy... what a joke.
Old 12/28/07, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing that gets me the most about CR is their ranking of Toyotas as "Best Buy", even without testing them. Since their past product line was sooooo good, they don't feel it necessary to test every new Toyota before calling it a "Best Buy".
Old 12/28/07, 09:37 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

You guys have it all wrong. The reason why faster, even though the HP rating is the same and curb weight is similar is the TQ. The hyundai is like 270 TQ and the mustang is 320 TQ.

A wise man whom all of us know, once said "Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races"

This is how people are so easily misleaded thinking a 300hp V6 is just as powerful as a 300hp V8. I suspect that C&D is already aware of all this and they are just trying to hype up the car. They are being misleading though. I wouldn't call them mustang bashers since they have run positive mustang articles for the last 3 years since it came out. A ton of people are complained in the reader letter's section about how much they talk about the mustang.
Old 12/28/07, 01:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dustindu4
...This is how people are so easily misleaded thinking a 300hp V6 is just as powerful as a 300hp V8. I suspect that C&D is already aware of all this and they are just trying to hype up the car.
Ok, if anyone has this issue of C&D, open it up and count the ads. I've noticed that the "feature" vehicle of the month is usually made by the manufacturer that buys the most ad space.
Old 12/28/07, 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dustin is totally right on for HP and TQ. Torque is what really gets you moving, HP is just a derivatave of Torque anyway. Dynomometers really measure torque, then figure out HP based on the tq, from what I understand of how dyno's work.
Old 12/29/07, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

You guys have it all wrong. The reason why faster, even though the HP rating is the same and curb weight is similar is the TQ. The hyundai is like 270 TQ and the mustang is 320 TQ.

A wise man whom all of us know, once said "Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races"

This is how people are so easily misleaded thinking a 300hp V6 is just as powerful as a 300hp V8. I suspect that C&D is already aware of all this and they are just trying to hype up the car. They are being misleading though. I wouldn't call them mustang bashers since they have run positive mustang articles for the last 3 years since it came out. A ton of people are complained in the reader letter's section about how much they talk about the mustang.
I'm not sure that any of us have it wrong. No one here thinks the Hyundai will actually beat the Mustang, despite the [proposed] same horsepower rating and slightly lighter weight. But you're right, the general public looks at horsepower as the most important factor for determining power/performance. I agree with you that C&D is intentionally being misleading, like I said in the previous post, but the cover story title is sexy and provocative, and sure has stirred up the pot here. And most importantly, the blurb helps them sell magazines, which is their real goal.

On the other hand, all the specs are estimates, and the magazine article said it's not unlikely that the engine will produce more power than estimated, and performance will be better. In other words, the estimates are considered to be conservative...
Old 12/29/07, 12:50 PM

What's a Hyundai?
Old 12/29/07, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Smokeio
What's a Hyundai?
LOL! Exactly!

One year, maybe 2001 or so, Motor Trend did a comparison test of a Mustang GT versus a Dodge Stratus. WHAT? In a subsequent issue, a reader sent a letter to the editor, stating that the comparison made no sense, since most potential Mustang buyers would not even know what a Stratus was...

That said, I think we will know what a Hyundai is once this car comes out.
Old 12/29/07, 05:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless Hyundia backs it with something craxy like a 7 speed transmission, its all gears these days my friend, all gears.

Man, that reminds me, I've got this crazy idea for a 4.0 liter 600 NA V12, just need 7 or 8 gears to back it up.
Old 12/29/07, 05:38 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Unless Hyundia backs it with something craxy like a 7 speed transmission, its all gears these days my friend, all gears.

Man, that reminds me, I've got this crazy idea for a 4.0 liter 600 NA V12, just need 7 or 8 gears to back it up.
So true, so true. If the current trend doesn't slow down, soon we will have 4 door luxury cars with more gears than a Peterbilt, but none of the torque.
Old 12/30/07, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Sigh...How many have tried to prevail and failed.. From my understanding, they are talking horsepower/dollar terms, however bring it on Hundai and get your a** kicked by a legend.
Old 12/30/07, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
So true, so true. If the current trend doesn't slow down, soon we will have 4 door luxury cars with more gears than a Peterbilt, but none of the torque.
Yeah, and the same top speed of 142 mph will be in gears 5,6 and 7 at 6200, 4200 and 3210 rpms. (just numbers thrown out there)
Old 12/30/07, 10:05 AM
GT Member

jmho, but this thread is giving to much credit to a high priced ricer, but theres nothing wrong with that, I guess, lol
Old 12/30/07, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

isnt the mustang gonna get a power boost anyhow? if we cant kill em now, wait till we get that extra 25 or so hp! and i bet my SN95 would hold its own against it
Old 12/31/07, 01:34 AM

Will the hyundai be worthless after its driven off the lot, or has that changed nowadays, lol! I bought my GT for what it is, a stylish retro musclecar-I could care less what import crap is better-give me imports-I would sell them to buy goodies for my Stang.
Ever race rice up a long hill? Its hilarious-no torque.
just my 2 cents
Old 12/31/07, 01:46 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Another thing to consider (like the GT-R Corvette killer headlines) Magazines need to sell, and flashy headlines are there to generate interest. Right out the gate they know they have Mustang and hyundai enthusiasts picking up the book to see whats going on.
Old 12/31/07, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't buy the Hyundai, regardless of the technical specs, because it is *ugly. That said, as a consumer, I love competition, even if it is only "perceived" competition. Competition drives quality up and prices down for consumers. So, take your best shot Hyundai (and anyone else), so that I can reap the benefit when it comes time to get a new car.

Kevinb120, please put me down for one of your 4000hp Ford concepts. I'll take the SEL and use it as my everyday beater.

Year one with my Mustang is complete and I am still in love. I will post my thoughts on the car shortly after the holidays. Have a happy new year.
Old 1/2/08, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

People look only at HP and they cream themselves. For example I got this kid I work with who just bought an '08 G35 sedan. He goes I can beat you now, I got 6 more horses than you. I felt so embarrased for him...
Old 1/2/08, 08:04 PM
FR500 Member

i take hyundai as seriously as watching barney
Old 1/3/08, 05:05 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by viiStang
People look only at HP and they cream themselves. For example I got this kid I work with who just bought an '08 G35 sedan. He goes I can beat you now, I got 6 more horses than you. I felt so embarrased for him...

I think you should show him what his 6 extra ponies are made of.

If those cars come with the 10/100,000 warranty, their value won't hold too well just as other Hyundai models haven't held value too well, at least when going against Toyota and Honda. Has Hyundai even pulled off a RWD non-SUV to date? If they can do that and actually get enough units sold to generate a decent amount of aftermarket support to start giving Mustangs a challenge, my hats off to them. People will always talk crap about the Mustang. There is a REASON it hasn't been discontinued(although it came close once) or pulled from the market. There is a REASON you see more Mustangs on the road than anything else. It seems as if the Mustang is a milestone to most. That makes me feel great knowing the little Honda boy behind me has his eyesight fixated so hard on my tail pipes he can't see farther than his glow washer nozzles. So if this car is just going to be something else for competition and perhaps something which will, in time, make for a few good races, I say bring it on!