2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Decide, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/13, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Decide, opinions?

I'm looking to move on from my 2001 3.8L, to something a bit newer, a 2007 perhaps. Im debating whether to get a GT or the 4.0L. Suggestions, personal experience? I'm in college so I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount of cash, but still want something fun to drive, and love the look of the newer models. Thanks for commenting, I'll take all the help I can get!
Old 11/27/13, 08:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
biased opinion here, but i swear ive never had such a enjoyable car to drive as my gt/stickshift... something about the sound/feel of a V8 going thru the gears, had my 06 for 8 yrs next month, still as fun to drive as the day i picked it up.
my wifes 07 is a v6/auto/pony pkg, its fun, she likes it, weve went to the test and tune nights lots of times- i have to give her a 2 second head start to be fair though its a nice handling / nimble car with more than adequate power, but Ive only driven it a few times...would rather be rowing thru the gears in mine

I do think if her car was a stickshift 'I' would like driving it better, but she simply cant drive a manual...shes tried mine quite a few times and for whatever reason she just cant do it, guessing mostly because she has zero desire, would rather just step on one pedal and go...opinions on stick vs auto, V8 vs V6 are like ford/chevy or oil brand arguements- lots of hardnosed preferences, but we all have different tastes... I would STRONGLY suggest you hit up a few dealers and just test drive a few 4.0/4.6/auto/manual combos and see what will both put the biggest grin on your face and not be a pain in the butt for you or another driver if its a shared car... my wife cant drive mine- if she didnt have her own, that would be a problem... my mom took mine down the track once, but shes so short, she had a hard time with the clutch pedal... you really need to try a few on for size- but in my biased opinion, a V8/manual is a absolute ball to drive everyday.

whatever you choose, good luck with it... and I can just about guarantee it will be one of those cars you cant help but look back at after you park it and say' man thats a nice looking car...'
Old 11/27/13, 08:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Ask your insurance agent what the difference is in cost. If it is a major amount then the v6 is how I'd go. If it wasn't too bad, then I'd go GT if I could find one I could afford. Personally, I went with the v6. Not for economy, but I wanted something I could modify the way I wanted. I bought a Deluxe base model. I have made all the mods myself, and I feel quite satisfied with my results. I couldn't of done that if I had bought a Premium GT package. I like the power of the v6, and it is an absolute blast to drive. I run mine up in the mountains around here. I enjoy it to the max. JMO.
Old 11/27/13, 11:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can find '05-09 GT's for pretty cheap prices if you're patient. As long as you can afford the insurance, then there's really no reason to go for a V6. The V8 is much more fun to drive and you're never going to have to think, "wonder if I should have just went with the GT?"
Old 11/29/13, 08:09 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
Excellent comments and suggestions. I always forget about the insurance factor (since I'm older) but realize how important it might be. If not too bad, get that V8. Just like the beverage, it will make you feel better.
I just made the mistake of watching Bullitt the other night. Does that ever get you in the mood for a spirited drive in your 5 speed V8 Mustang!! I sure had some fun the other day on the back roads. That V8 exhaust note running through the gears is just a real high.
Good luck with your choice! Just get the best bang for your buck, and that usually means a one or two owner unmolested 'stock' example.
Old 12/2/13, 07:36 AM

Thank you for all of your comments and opinions! I will definitely have to look into the insurance costs for a guy my age, and see if I can find a 4.6l for a good price. Ha ha could have had a v8! Good one
Old 12/2/13, 08:51 AM

Very true. I have seen insurance being somewhat close for the V8/V6 cars in some areas. I remember the insurance on a corvette was cheaper then the Mustang. The V8 is definitely the way to go, the car is a lot more fun to drive and you simply cannot beat the sound of it. Once you fire it up in the morning and hear the rumble it will be tough to go for anything but a V8. The 4.6 V8 is also a very reliable motor and I love torque. Take a drive in both and see what you think. Just be responsible, its very easy to loose traction in 2nd gear.
Old 12/2/13, 04:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I just made the mistake of watching Bullitt the other night. Does that ever get you in the mood for a spirited drive in your 5 speed V8 Mustang!! I sure had some fun the other day on the back roads. That V8 exhaust note running through the gears is just a real high.
Amen to that

Good luck with your choice! Just get the best bang for your buck, and that usually means a one or two owner unmolested 'stock' example.
you never know though, mines stock/one owner, but I've flogged the crap out of it probably 100 runs at the track- at least I'd admit it, most sellers wouldnt

might be something to keep a eye out for, lots of rubber gooped up in the wheelwells and such... but really, these cars seem to take it in stride, theyre kinda made for it. long as the fluids have been changed at proper intervals (look in the antifreeze reservoir/down the oil fill cap for sludge), and the cars been washed semi-regularly, they should be pretty decent at this age. BTW, I tore my 06 apart new- IMO first places for dirt buildup/rust will be:
1) look under the air intake snorkel- behind the headlamp/core support, dirt builds up back there out of sight on the fender/bumper joint, and in the pinchwelds on back of core support
2) get a mirror/camera and look behind the 'flap' just in front of the rear wheels- all three of ours had one or both backsides of that 'flap' unsealed- crap can get between floorpan/inner wheelhouse- would be a insane job to repair if that rusts...
Old 12/9/13, 04:51 PM

get a gt with the 4.6!