To cam or not to cam! - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

To cam or not to cam!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 4/16/18, 12:20 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Florence ky
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To cam or not to cam!

Ok everyone, I need some advice! I have a 2007 mustang gt, 4.6 v8, mostly stock. Iíve done new coil packs, plugs, belts, hoses,performance I take, and tune..
I bought this car used, previous owner used it as daily driver but took great car of it! But it has 148,000 miles on it. The car is strong and runs great. I would like to do a cam, I love the loopy sound of a hot rod cam, but is it a good idea considering the mileage?
Thanks for any help!
Mustangproject07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/16/18, 04:37 PM
  #2  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2015
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Are you looking for performance gains or just a choppy rough idle?
07 Boss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/16/18, 04:39 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Florence ky
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Are you looking for performance gains or just a choppy rough idle?
Honestly the choppy idle
Mustangproject07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/16/18, 05:47 PM
  #4  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
Cavero's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangproject07 View Post


Honestly the choppy idle
What kind of driving do you do? Cams like the FRPP Hot Rods trade power on the low end for gains at high RPM. I've been told that they can be kind of a pain in the *** to drive at low speeds, like around parking lots. Hopefully someone who actually has them can chime in.
Cavero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/16/18, 06:08 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Florence ky
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly city, itís a car I just drive on nice days, not my daily! So of course when I do drive it I want it to make some noise! Ha
Mustangproject07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/16/18, 09:14 PM
  #6  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2014
Posts: 930
Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangproject07
Honestly the choppy idle
There's nothing wrong with that and I applaud your honesty.
berzerk_1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/17/18, 05:32 AM
  #7  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
05YellowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 24, 2005
Location: Delray Beach , FL
Posts: 2,217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero View Post
What kind of driving do you do? Cams like the FRPP Hot Rods trade power on the low end for gains at high RPM. I've been told that they can be kind of a pain in the *** to drive at low speeds, like around parking lots. Hopefully someone who actually has them can chime in.
I have the FRPP Hot Rod Cams and with a tune from Steeda, having a good tuner is important, I have good low end drivability. Also with the MagnaCharger I don't loose any power on the low end
05YellowGT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/17/18, 05:38 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: April 16, 2018
Location: Florence ky
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Bama rev-x tuner-
Mustangproject07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4/17/18, 11:21 AM
  #9  
Cobra R Member
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,947
Thanked 132 Times in 120 Posts
Check out the Mother Thumper cams at www.americanmuscle.com. I've been checking also, and I understand these cams are good for daily drivers. Great lopey idle too.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/compc...am-0510gt.html

FYI, if you decided to order anything from American Muscle, tell them you are a member of this forum. They will give you a 6% discount.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/17/18 at 11:23 AM.
wanted33 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 5/6/18, 09:45 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: May 6, 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangproject07 View Post
Ok everyone, I need some advice! I have a 2007 mustang gt, 4.6 v8, mostly stock. Iíve done new coil packs, plugs, belts, hoses,performance I take, and tune..
I bought this car used, previous owner used it as daily driver but took great car of it! But it has 148,000 miles on it. The car is strong and runs great. I would like to do a cam, I love the loopy sound of a hot rod cam, but is it a good idea considering the mileage?
Thanks for any help!
I have an 06 GT with 125k. I have a big cold air, short headers, off-road x pipe, TB spacer, CMC delete, 127020 comp cams and comps limiter. I use Bama tunes for life on my Rev-X and my car is an automatic with 3.73s. It starts and runs just like it did at 20k,30k,40k-100k. AM and Bama have it on lock and if they miss it, just send in data logging and they'll read it and write you a program that will put it on kill!
06Whitemare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5/7/18, 07:07 AM
  #11  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2015
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 06Whitemare View Post
AM and Bama have it on lock and if they miss it, just send in data logging and they'll read it and write you a program that will put it on kill!
Hahahah, I wouldn't let Bama tune my lawn mower.
07 Boss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5/7/18, 07:42 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 6, 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=07 Boss;7029484]Hahahah, I wouldn't let Bama tune my lawn m

Although no one asked.....My best advise would be...then don't.
06Whitemare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5/24/18, 07:39 AM
  #13  
Mach 1 Member
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT View Post
I have the FRPP Hot Rod Cams and with a tune from Steeda, having a good tuner is important, I have good low end drivability. Also with the MagnaCharger I don't loose any power on the low end
I've been trying to find a price on the magnacharger. How much did it run you? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did they stop making it?
Clark Kent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
05 GT Stang
GT Performance Mods
6
2/15/12 09:01 AM
Slims00ls1z28
General Vehicle Discussion/News
6
6/15/10 05:43 PM
05MustangFanII
SN95 Mustang
20
9/21/07 06:18 AM
virginiavenom
Rocket City Mustang Club
15
4/24/07 04:19 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors