2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Calling all Canadians, did you turn off your DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/08, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling all Canadians, did you turn off your DRLs?

I would like to get rid of my DRLs. Any of you get your local dealer to do this? I was hoping I could pull a fuse or disconnect a module, but it sounds like it is a program thing.
Old 12/30/08, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cop on my back
I would like to get rid of my DRLs. Any of you get your local dealer to do this? I was hoping I could pull a fuse or disconnect a module, but it sounds like it is a program thing.
Wait a minute! You mean the Mustangs up there in Chanukland come with daytime running lights ?! Oh wait a second! I remember seeing that on my HVBOM report as something that was turned off. It must have to be accessed by a laptop in a siimilar way they re-program the drivetrain module.
Old 12/30/08, 08:36 PM

Would like mine turned off, but I don't want a reason for cops to pull me over
Old 12/30/08, 10:37 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

they can pull you over for that?

That Canadian law is more messed up than the one you have for not being able to kill in self defense
Old 12/31/08, 12:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Chances of getting pulled over would be slim. I would drive with the fogs on with the parking lights so they would have nothing to complain about.
Old 12/31/08, 12:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by red pony
Wait a minute! You mean the Mustangs up there in Chanukland come with daytime running lights ?! Oh wait a second! I remember seeing that on my HVBOM report as something that was turned off. It must have to be accessed by a laptop in a siimilar way they re-program the drivetrain module.
Tell me you aren't serious that you didn't know that....it has been this way since 1990.
Old 12/31/08, 02:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't really see the point. Besides being illegal, there's nothing bad about being more visible day or night. If you wanted to lose the cops, ducking into an alley and pulling the e-brake up one click will allow you to turn the lights completely off and keep moving... Or so I've heard. Lol. (Doesn't stop your brake lights from coming on)

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 12/31/08 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12/31/08, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO seriously I didn't know!

Tell me you aren't serious that you didn't know that....it has been this way since 1990.
Of course I haven't been to BC. since 1985, or in canada since 1986. I guess that might explain my not being aware of it! I'm thinking that would be hard on HID headlamps and subsequently hard on the wallet!

Last edited by red pony; 12/31/08 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12/31/08, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe its just the amber "directionals" that are on? (correct me if I am wrong) similar to if one were to move their headlamp dial one click, the headlights and fogs are off but the ambers and the brake lights glow.

Originally Posted by red pony
Of course I haven't been to BC. since 1985, or in canada since 1986. I guess that might explain my not being aware of it! I'm thinking that would be hard on HID headlamps and subsequently hard on the wallet!
Old 12/31/08, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

DRLs are the headlights only. I am not trying to "black out" for the cops, I am nearly 40 and way past that. I just think the Mustangs look really cool with the park lights on with the fog lights. With DRLs, that is not possible.
Old 1/1/09, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I have also thought about turning mines off...I am worried that by them coming on all the time it may wear out the HID's
Old 1/10/09, 04:34 PM
GT Member

My 2000 Taurus had DRL on it, and I too would like to know how to disable them. Ive tried to pull the fuse under the hood and no joy... they stayed on.

I have heard that if the car was finished being built in, or set to go to Canada, it needs DRL... Some stupid law they have.
Old 1/10/09, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd prefer that that fog lights would go half bright for the DRL. New cars sold in Canada by law must have DRL - since 1990. But if you buy a new car in the US and bring it back in, it is OK without DRL. Most cars with HID usually have some kind of LED or Halogen DRL, 'cuz HID's don't work well at half power.
Old 1/11/09, 03:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can't believe I don't have an answer to the original question yet!!!
Old 1/11/09, 12:52 PM
FR500 Member

I can't believe I don't have an answer to the original question yet!!!
I'm guessing that no one has actually turned off their DRL's in Canada.

I DO know that people in the US have had their Smart Junction Box replaced, and the new ones had the DRL's enabled. In those cases, the dealers in the US were able to turn off the DRL's.

Now, if you're bringing your car from the US into Canada, you DO have to have the car Federally inspected and show that the DRL's work. The mod requires the installation and wiring-in of a separate DRL module. HOWEVER, there is no rule that says it has to be the low beams that are turned on. You could instead wire up the fog lamps. TacoBill has done this for the benefit of the forum already...

linky

Last edited by PTRocks; 1/11/09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 1/11/09, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have no problem with the logic behind having DRL's. The biggest issue I have is that some people with them forget to actually turn the headlight switch On at night therefore driving around with no tail/brake lights. Some cars have light sensors to "auto" turn the lights on. Others don't. If you have a "led" style dash like the mustangs they are lit constantly, although in white with headlight switch off. With the dash lit, some forget the tailights still need to be turned On.
Old 1/11/09, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
I have no problem with the logic behind having DRL's. The biggest issue I have is that some people with them forget to actually turn the headlight switch On at night therefore driving around with no tail/brake lights. Some cars have light sensors to "auto" turn the lights on. Others don't. If you have a "led" style dash like the mustangs they are lit constantly, although in white with headlight switch off. With the dash lit, some forget the tailights still need to be turned On.
Man you are so right!! I see that all the time here. One day, someone is going to be flying down the highway here and rear end someone that doesn't have their lights on and is using the DRLs only to see. I have lost count how many people I have either flashed or yelled at them to turn their lights on.
Old 1/12/09, 02:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Cop:

maybe try crappy tire...they sell a drl on/off kit....

(link will send you to needing postalcode...then after reclick link again)

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/produc...romSearch=true

Last edited by tom_vilsack; 1/12/09 at 02:01 AM.
Old 1/12/09, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Getting an after market kit is one thing, I need to turn off the factory one first. I know about DRL kits, I have installed 2 of them on vehicles I have imported from the States to meet Canadian laws.
Old 1/12/09, 07:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked around but have not found an answer to your question. I think it is just because, as you know, it is illegal to have your DRL disconnected. I must say though that since I drive on a 2 lane highway everyday, it sucks when some oncoming cars do not have DRL's during the day. DRL's just make it easier for me to know how much passing time I have

Quick Reply: Calling all Canadians, did you turn off your DRLs?