2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

But seriously -- why don't Mustangs have sunroofs?

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/07 | 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

What about structural integrity issues?
Old 8/29/07 | 06:36 AM
I Have No Life

My first mustang was a 77 II and they were not that bad...small car with a 302

Anyway, some things just don't belong on a mustang such as T-roof's, sunroofs, clear brake lights, undercar lighting..etc etc etc
Old 8/29/07 | 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

T-tops go well with mullets and wife-beater shirts.
Old 8/29/07 | 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAH ROFLMAO
Old 8/29/07 | 07:41 AM
I Have No Life

I had those at the time as well
Old 8/29/07 | 07:48 AM

Because sunroofs don't make the car go faster.
Old 8/29/07 | 07:50 AM
GT Member

Sunroof vs. T-Roofs....... I would not want either on my GT... have a sunroof that I hardly use in my Explorer...and had T-roof on my '84 Firebird. The t-roofs were a horror when it rained or snowed and were a total pain to take out and put in.... no funky roof for my GT. And it would sure kill the retro look of our babies...
Old 8/29/07 | 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Sign me up for a sunroof. It really brightens up the interior plus the fresh air.

Ford, call ASC!!!
Old 8/29/07 | 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Oh god, that looks awesome.

I want that on my car.
* How much does it cost installed?
* How much hotter does your car get in the summer? (My 1 week old stock AC is not cold enough for me when it's 100 degs outside... I get hot when it's over 65-68 degrees when I'm driving)
* Do you how much more it weighs and if it's not as strong (in crashes/rolling/etc)?

And... if someone comes out with a glassback that somehow magically retracts (I can't imagine where it'd retract to or how it would even be physically possible)... then all the previous concerns are out the window and I want it at any cost.
Old 8/29/07 | 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I had a Pontiac G6 rental with a sunroof. I found that I LOVED the extra sunlight, but it was useless for fresh air at speeds above 50 mph. The wind noise wasn't too bad below 50 mph, so I would give it a thumbs up for stop and go driving. However, on the highway it only serves to increase solar load and sunlight in the day, and moonlight on those werewolf-ridden nights.
I wouldn't mind having a sunroof in the GT, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have one installed.

The same applies to T-tops which seem like a lot of hassle to take off/put on, and what happens when it is suddenly raining?

I think the COOLEST idea by FAR is the power retractable hardtop convertible like on the MX-5 (yeah I know, it's a Miata). It gives you a "hardtop coupe" when the cover is on, and it becomes a convertible when you roll it down. I don't really need trunk space in the Stang, so I wouldn't mind the MX-5 at all. In fact, I was thinking about trading in the Stang for a MX-5 or a Elise. The only gripe I have about the Elise is that it is a ragtop, and the Exige coupe costs too much for an uncomfortable race car.
Old 8/29/07 | 09:30 AM
V6 Member

I wouldn't mind a sunroof that just pops up in the back a few inches. My wife has a sunroof on her car and rarely opens it all the way -- she usually just cracks it to vent hot summer air. But just having a rooftop window improves things -- I like the bright, open feel it gives the interior.
Maybe in a few years Ford will offer it up.
I like the hardtop convertible idea, too.
Old 8/29/07 | 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd definitely would have picked a sunroof option if it was available. Matter of fact, my last car before I got the '06 was a base model Cavalier with a sunroof. I used it all the time during all seasons, even winter. It's great to get that open air feeling without having the hassel of trying to wind down manual windows at highway speeds which I did a time or two. Personally I think it's time for Ford to adopt a hard top convertible option for the Mustang...at least on the higher end Mustangs (perhaps premium v6 & GT convertible and special edition GTs like GT/CS, Shelby GT, .etc). I'd like to see Ford adopt Volkswagen's strategy by having a hard top convertible roof with a built-in sunroof. If you guys have never been inside of an Eos, the thing is just phenomenal from a technological standpoint, in my opinion. To me, if Ford could adapt the Eos hardtop to a Mustang while still keeping the overall fastback look that would be the ultimate Mustang convertible for me, no matter if it had 4, 6, or 8 cylinders.
Old 8/29/07 | 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford doesn't even have a factory optioned Homelink control for the Mustang.
Old 8/29/07 | 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

LOL Truth.
Old 8/29/07 | 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LBJay
Because it might cut into convertible sales....
Doubt it, but funny.
Old 8/29/07 | 01:10 PM

yeah...when I drive my dads car...I always keep the slide back to let in natural light...I'll open it on hot days....makes the interior feel sooo much bigger.
Old 8/29/07 | 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't really care for sunroofs that open up on the outside.

Originally Posted by antdog
T-Tops, do you remember the Mustang II and how butt ugly it was.
If a car's ugly with T-Tops, it can't be that great-looking without them.

I think T-Tops can work and wish they were still around.
Attached Thumbnails But seriously -- why don't Mustangs have sunroofs?-mr2drive.jpg  
Old 8/29/07 | 03:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Green Cobra
The II just gets no love... It wasn't a bad car - just a product of its time. The Cobra and the King Cobras were pretty cool.
The thing I hated was the 4 bolt small wheels on them. The V8s shoulda had 5 bolt 15" wheels.
Old 8/29/07 | 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

The II just gets no love... It wasn't a bad car - just a product of its time. The Cobra and the King Cobras were pretty cool.
Well said...
Old 8/29/07 | 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I never said it was a bad car, I said I thought it was an ugly car. IMHO

Quick Reply: But seriously -- why don't Mustangs have sunroofs?