2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

bright light derangement syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/07 | 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Didn't the SVT foci come with factory HID (in later years)???

Either way, what's wrong with factory HID. It makes it a LOT easier to see the road. Yes, on some cars from the factory it does have glare (especially Nissans), but it's not nearly as bad as a Civic or other import in which someone has added 10000K aftermarket ones that are BLUE and glare terribly b/c they were put in factory housings.

Nothing wrong with factory HID's, except for the $1000 adder that they put on the sticker. If every car had HID's, no one would be complaining about them.
Old 1/23/07 | 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Repeat after me people: "THIS IS MY MUSTANG. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!" (From "Full Metal Jacket") Fog lights, driving lights, I don't care what they are called. They come on when the headlights come on, end of story. Why? Because this is MY Mustang..
Old 11/22/07 | 09:01 AM

Foglight override

Hey, i live in the country and i like the extra light fog lights give you. So does anyone know which pin to clip on the relay to make your foglights work with your brights on?
Old 11/22/07 | 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I drive with mine on all the time at night. Why? Because the factory headlights suck on this car. I’ve never had headlights that illuminate the road so poorly, it makes me feel bad for those without the fogs. I have the SSE grill, and had to adjust the lamps up a bit to keep the connector form hitting the bracket. No flashes yet.

Tim
Old 11/22/07 | 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think the regular headlights are very good. Much better than many other cars I have driven.
Old 11/22/07 | 09:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Meh, I get flashed every once and awhile.
Old 11/22/07 | 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bob
Meh, I get flashed every once and awhile.
Yeah, I do too. I just wish it was by a hottie.
Old 11/23/07 | 07:07 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Old 11/23/07 | 07:22 AM
GT Member

All you have to do is adjust your fog lights down a bit and the problem is solved. Remove the plastic cover over the radiator and there is 1 adjusting screw per light. That way you don't have to worry about endangering other people's line of vision and pis$ing people off.
The one thing I can't stand is the hillbillies with their jacked up 4x4's who don't adjust their headlights.
Old 11/23/07 | 10:52 AM
GT Member

Off Topic

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Repeat after me people: "THIS IS MY MUSTANG. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!" (From "Full Metal Jacket") Fog lights, driving lights, I don't care what they are called. They come on when the headlights come on, end of story. Why? Because this is MY Mustang..
I kind of like the, "This is my rifle, this is my gun" and "The only things from Texas are steers and queers" lines myself LOL.
Old 11/23/07 | 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

"I'll bet you're the kind of guy who doesn't even have the common courtesy...." "I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose"

those are my favorites!!
Old 11/23/07 | 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those are great lines

I have to agree with the regular headlights being pretty good compared to some other vehicles. I don't know about the rest of you but I had gotten the chance to utilize my "fog" lights in the fog the other night
IMO they aren't worth sh*t in the fog.
I like the look of the "fog" lights on at night also (I can tell it's a GT right away) but I always forget to turn mine on
Old 11/23/07 | 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

You are right, the "fog lights" don't do jack in the fog. I think they make it worse rather than better actually.
Old 11/23/07 | 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jasperstang01
Hey, i live in the country and i like the extra light fog lights give you. So does anyone know which pin to clip on the relay to make your foglights work with your brights on?
Not going to happen. The SMJ (Smart Junction Controller) completely controls your fog lights (and most everything else in your car other than engine and tranny for that matter). All your fog light switch does is make a very polite request to the SMJ to turn the fog lights on once all the conditions are met (aka: low beams on or head lights off, etc.) There really isn't any mechanical connection between the assorted light switches or head light relays.

When I replaced the fog lights (not much use for fog lights in the freaking desert!) with hi/lo driving lights (80w low, 100w high!), I had to create a whole interface circuit to tie into the light switch signal WITHOUT ****ing off the SMJ (that is a TOUCHY little piece!) and then use my own drivers on the interface circuit to turn on my own relays I had mounted under the hood. I COULD have patched into the wiring harness and used the stock fog light relays for on/off, but I decided to go ahead and use my own relay and minimize the splicing in my factory wiring harness.

Oh, and when anyone flashes me for having my high beams on, they won't do it again if I flash them back!
Old 11/24/07 | 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It can be done if your willing to do the work. Post #23 here tells you how.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...fog+high+beams
Old 11/25/07 | 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Factory HIDs are NOT fads. If you think they are, you are sorely mistaken. They are almost becoming standard on foreign cars because they increase the lighting distance at night, improving the overall safety. The reason they aren't standard on a lot of American cars is because the bulk of the US market wants cheap cars.

A Focus ST will cost $30k MSRP USD. Just look at the Volvo C30 T5 Version 2.0 with modest options... $33k MSRP easy. The S197 Mustang GT is probably the last sports car you will find for under $30k MSRP new. The next generation of performance cars will mostly start in the $30k range.
Old 11/25/07 | 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rocket88
I never use them, they don't seem to do much for me as far as brightness goes...
they are MUCH brighter if you turn them on

jay
Old 11/26/07 | 05:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by outdoorstom
I like how the car looks with the fogs on. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. They are perfectly legal.
+ 1

..and yes, they are really Driving Lights. Also, their brightness is nothing compared to most Trucks and SUVs on the road! Most of the oncoming traffic that flash their lights, are doing so because they see four lights lit, like in the old days when many cars had four headlights (2 lowbeams and 2 highbeams). So, regardless of their brightness, they think you must have your highbeams on. I always have my fogs turned on at night, because they illuminate areas close-by and I want to be seen better, especially by all the idiots driving in So. FL that don't obey stop signs, let alone yield to traffic that has the right-of-way.
Old 11/26/07 | 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

I havn't had that problem yet.

I do hate it when people with HID's get right on my *** at a stop light and dont turn off their lights.

I freaking hate HID's.
Old 11/26/07 | 08:04 AM

The Mustangs lights are not "driving lights" or auxillary high-beam lamps. They are actually fog lights which produce a wide bar shaped beam.
Fog lights are made in both clear and yellow lenses. Yellow lenses just reduce glare by eliminating short blue wavelengths from the beam.
Most drivers do not flash you when these lamps are on because they are actually aimed very low. High beams are aimed far ahead and therfore cause blinding/glare issues with on-coming drivers.

Quick Reply: bright light derangement syndrome