2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

bright light derangement syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/07, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seriously don't think a cop is going to hold me responsible if I stop in the middle of the road because of a gator and get rear ended. Reality has to set in sometime.
Old 1/22/07, 06:47 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeesh, people are willing to make up all sorts of things to allow them to drive like A-holes, or justify 'teaching an A-hole a lesson'.

Ever notice how everyone in front of you is driving like a Grandma and everyone behind you is a maniac?

You've only got one chance to have a damage free car. And cars aren't the only thing on the road that can get destroyed.
Old 1/22/07, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Well if it was a 1969 Mustang it would be the HIGH beams !!!!

Think about it.............
Old 1/22/07, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Jeesh, people are willing to make up all sorts of things to allow them to drive like A-holes, or justify 'teaching an A-hole a lesson'.

Ever notice how everyone in front of you is driving like a Grandma and everyone behind you is a maniac?

You've only got one chance to have a damage free car. And cars aren't the only thing on the road that can get destroyed.
I also have a radar dectector and habitually drive more then 15mph over the speed limit. And people who cruise in the left hand lane and dont pass **** me off and I like to ride there *** till they get out of my way. Im young, irresponsible and I LOVE it!
Old 1/22/07, 08:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
I also have a radar dectector and habitually drive more then 15mph over the speed limit. And people who cruise in the left hand lane and dont pass **** me off and I like to ride there *** till they get out of my way. Im young, irresponsible and I LOVE it!
Yeah, me too, unless you call 29 old. Just do me a favor and make sure your irresponsibility only kills yourself and not my family. OK moron?
Old 1/22/07, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Although Ford's basic premise behind the design of this Mustang was to retro numerous tidbits from prior generations, some design aspects are not very functional in today's world. As a former architecture major, I learned about two ways to design:

1) Function Follows Form -- Design the appearance first and the functionality follows, works only as well as the appearance will allow, and
2) Form Follows Function -- Design functionality first and the form is secondary, based on functionality.

Unfortunately, Ford took the Function Follows Form route on several sub-designs. The GT fog lamps first come to mind. Ford wanted the quad headlamp "form" from 1969. Yes, this design looks similar to the '69 but Ford made a critical error (in my opinion) making the inboard assemblies into fog lamps. Not only are they in a very bad location for best functionality -- fog lamps need to be low to the ground -- but they made them the size or yesterday's round low/high beams (~5-1/4 inches in diameter). So..... they "look" like high beams to oncoming traffic. Think about this.... do you know of any other car that has fog lamps mounted at the same height as the head lamps? I don't. And to make them as large as typical round headlamps was a second mistake.

The second Function Follows Form design I can think of is the instrument cluster. The deep-set gauges are reminescent of the first gen Mustang and look nice but are very difficult to read.... don't really care for this either....
Old 1/22/07, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Yeah, me too, unless you call 29 old. Just do me a favor and make sure your irresponsibility only kills yourself and not my family. OK moron?
Hook, Line, and Sinker
Old 1/22/07, 08:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Yup, you got me. You win.
( in your likeness: )
Old 1/22/07, 09:07 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Willie
Although Ford's basic premise behind the design of this Mustang was to retro numerous tidbits from prior generations, some design aspects are not very functional in today's world. As a former architecture major, I learned about two ways to design:

1) Function Follows Form -- Design the appearance first and the functionality with follows, works only as well as the appearance will allow, and
2) Form Follows Function -- Design functionality first and the form is secondary, based on functionality.

Unfortunately, Ford took the Function Follows Form route on several sub-designs. The GT fog lamps first come to mind. Ford wanted the quad headlamp "form" from 1969. Yes, this design looks similar to the '69 but Ford made a critical error (in my opinion) making the inboard assemblies into fog lamps. Not only are they in a very bad location for best functionality -- fog lamps need to be low to the ground -- but they made them the size or yesterday's round low/high beams (~5-1/4 inches in diameter). So..... they "look" like high beams to oncoming traffic. Think about this.... do you know of any other car that has fog lamps mounted at the same height as the head lamps? I don't. And to make them as large as typical round headlamps was a second mistake.

The second Function Follows Form design I can think of is the instrument cluster. The deep-set gauges are reminescent of the first gen Mustang and look nice but are very difficult to read.... don't really care for this either....
Absolutely. Also, the hood overhangs the grill... not the best for aerodynamics.
But, the form IS the function... and that's to look killer.
Old 1/22/07, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't say I have always been the most responsible driver by any means. But you are never going to 'teach someone a lesson' and have anything good come out of it. Typically, the more you let what others do bother you, the more prone you are to getting into stupid situations on the road. After years of riding motorcycles on the road, you learn to perfect defensive driving/riding and awareness, as anyone in any vehicle is deadly via aggression or stupidity. You need to learn to let that **** go and just move on to watching out for the next idiot.

Trying to prove something behind the vehicle is going to end up getting someone hurt, and most likely a party that has NOTHING to do with whats going on between two drivers-either another person(s) in a different car or a passenger. If you are going to prove something, prove you are the better man and grow up. Luck seems to favor the stupid anyway-the vast majority of drunk driving accident deaths for instance, the drunk driver is the one that comes out with the least injuries. And if you are doing this with a passenger, next time you talk to your girlfriend imagine her with her arm or head trapped between the car and pavement. You loose skin stumbling on a curb.

And they are not fog lights, they are driving lights
Old 1/22/07, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutely. Also, the hood overhangs the grill... not the best for aerodynamics. But, the form IS the function... and that's to look killer.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the hood. Years ago, I recall seeing on a car show an interview with a design team member when the '05 was first introduced, talking about the overhang of the hood..... good catch!

Willie
Old 1/22/07, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually Ford messed up...they should have put the "Pony Package" style fog lights on the GT (and not the V6 model)...they are little smaller and can't be misconstued as you using your "high beam" lights.
I only use mine in bad weather (rain, fog, snow)...after all, it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to replace the bulbs...and when I think about that tech removing the radiator cover, etc., to get at them, I start thinking about how he's probably going to stratch the bumper cover, etc.,...it's not worth it...just use them when you really need them and you won't get the idiots flashing at you, etc.
Old 1/22/07, 11:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if i had the cash i would do like one of the members on here and add the saleen HID's for headlights and some aftermarket HID's for the fogs, i love my fogs and even when it is a little cloudy outside and i see everyone with their fogs and signals on i turn on my fogs and signals, then if they are bothered by it i turn on my headlights w/ the fogs LOL

Disclaimer: i am not an a hole and i do not do this to annoy people, i just love having a GT with the foglights in the grill that is why i am a bit hesitant to go with the GT500 conversion or any kit that drops the fogs
Old 1/23/07, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Surprised to hear that from a FF. You obviously need to run on a few more signal 4s. After you've had to body bag a few of your friends/neighbors, I expect to hear your tune change. Over here in Brevard County our emergency vehicles are only allowed to drive 10 MPH over the posted speed limit so 15 MPH over in a POV is really pushing it. I don't think that even "friends in blue" will protect you at that speed if caught. Hope you got a bunch of large IFFF stickers on you car.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 1/23/07, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

I get that problem too. I do flash my highs at them, then I flash my blue leds and scare 'em (volunteer Firefighter needed a state pemit for the lights)....They deserve it for not realizing that it is illegal to use high beams with any other contant running lights at the same time.
Old 1/23/07, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Unfortunately, Ford took the Function Follows Form route on several sub-designs.
For each design decision that you brought up, I side with Ford.

IMO, the trade-offs are relatively small for their decisions, considering that the lights, gauges and hood look sweet! The only thing I would change with any of those would be that I wouln't want to washer nozzles in the hood.
Old 1/23/07, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to take a moment to clear up a few things since i began this thread. I don't use my fogs all the time, because either i forget to turn them on or I'm just indifferent about using them. However, when I do use them, I don't turn them off when I come up on another vehicle. That would be crazy.

Friday night was the first time I had used the fogs in a while. I chose to take a detour to avoid a traffic condition on the main bypass. It was only after I got back onto the freeway (unlit freeway), when I encountered the idiot flashing the highbeams on me. I thought to myself, "Oh Jeez, here we go again.".

I chose to ignore the idiot and continue on my way. He wasn't exactly rattling my cage. Sometimes it's easier to ignore annoying behavior. It's tough to do. Sometimes you have to force yourself to take the high road. People can do crazy things when they are behind the wheel. I don't know if the idiot would be up in my grill if he didn't feel safe inside his car.

The problem is caused by the fogs being the same diameter as the headlights and mounted at the same level. I realize that Ford designed the fogs to resemble an older mustang. However, i would prefer the fogs to be smaller and mounted in the lower grill or under the side markers. (See attached chopped pic)
Attached Thumbnails bright light derangement syndrome-100_1881crop-c.jpg  
Old 1/23/07, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

I use mine whenever I darn well feel like it...... and I have come head on with a cop several times late at night over the last few months and never had one u-ball after me, so they must be a-okay in their book too.
Old 1/23/07, 10:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The Gt fog lamps I like the fact that they do add a wider clarity to my front field of vision, when behind people it only apperars to them as bright because they see four lights ( or they are corked ) they in no way make it brighter for a driver in front of me or on coming when they or some squalk I really do give them the bright lights, too bad Myth Busters was done this would be a good one for them. So I really think it's just the appearance of the four that sets others aray. when you see them lower on most SUV nobody says boo , so I guess its the positioning placement of them.
Old 1/23/07, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120

Although nothing is more annoying then most factory HID's(imho the dumbest fad ever since navigation units) or the superbright headlights on pickups.

Finally someone that makes sense!!

Quick Reply: bright light derangement syndrome