2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/06, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake fluid leak

So i read in a thread about the leaking brake fluid around the cap on the master cylinder. I looked in and sure enough mine was leaking. Its leake down the side of the master cylinder on to the brake booster and onto the firewall and down into the corner of the engine bay and bubbled up the paint on everything it has touched. So I took it to my local dealer dropped it off. I also mentioned my brakes vibrate really bad when braking at highway speeds and it pulls to the left under braking AND the back tire chirps when doing tight u-turns so hopefully they will add the friction modifier.

Well they called and let me know they ordered a Brake master cylinder,booster, and rotors. And once they pull the old ones they will have to take it to the body shop and fix the paint. So hopefully I will have my baby back by monday or tuesday.
Old 6/17/06, 07:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
So i read in a thread about the leaking brake fluid around the cap on the master cylinder. I looked in and sure enough mine was leaking. Its leake down the side of the master cylinder on to the brake booster and onto the firewall and down into the corner of the engine bay and bubbled up the paint on everything it has touched. So I took it to my local dealer dropped it off. I also mentioned my brakes vibrate really bad when braking at highway speeds and it pulls to the left under braking AND the back tire chirps when doing tight u-turns so hopefully they will add the friction modifier.

Well they called and let me know they ordered a Brake master cylinder,booster, and rotors. And once they pull the old ones they will have to take it to the body shop and fix the paint. So hopefully I will have my baby back by monday or tuesday.
Wow with no run-around or nothing!
I'm sure I would of heard a long song and dance from any of my local dealers about how hard I must be driving the car.
Good Luck.
Old 6/17/06, 07:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, the leak is a known issue here in TMS.

A few wraps of teflon tape around the filler neck fixed my leak.
Old 6/17/06, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Wow with no run-around or nothing!
I'm sure I would of heard a long song and dance from any of my local dealers about how hard I must be driving the car.
Good Luck.

well for the vibrations under braking they tried to blame it on being lowered and the changes i made to the suspension. But thankfully he said theyed go ahead and pull the rotors and check them. I couldnt feel or see any ridges on the rotors so im not sure what they found.

I do drive the car hard but I drove every other car ive owned the same and never had a vibration like that.
Old 6/17/06, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Yup, the leak is a known issue here in TMS.

A few wraps of teflon tape around the filler neck fixed my leak.
well mine has already destroyed the paint on the brake booster and a big spot where it pooled.
Old 6/17/06, 08:11 AM

well mine has already destroyed the paint on the brake booster and a big spot where it pooled.
Sorry that happened. There was a thread a while back where others had their paint damaged as a result of this leak.

After the dealer fixes it, keep an eye on it. If it starts to leak again, wrap it with tape and be done with it.
Old 6/17/06, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Sorry that happened. There was a thread a while back where others had their paint damaged as a result of this leak.

After the dealer fixes it, keep an eye on it. If it starts to leak again, wrap it with tape and be done with it.
Bill soak some teflon tape in brake fuild and see how long it takes to disappear.
The fluid will eat through the tape with time. I put a thin rubber gasket in between the cap and the rubber. It can't be very thick or the cap won't go on properly. No leaks and I've had it on for a few weeks now.
Old 6/17/06, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Karman, mind posting a pic of what the gasket looks like and how u made it? Im sure we'd all definetly appriciate it.
Old 6/17/06, 01:24 PM

Hey Karman, mind posting a pic of what the gasket looks like and how u made it? Im sure we'd all definetly appriciate it.
It's just a very thin round piece of rubber. It is the exact outside diameter as the inside of the cap. I cut a large hole in the center (there are some nubs in the cap behind the accordian rubber you must clear). Only the outside diameter has to be perfect. Just place it between the cap and the original flexible rubber.
That's it.
I used an fairly new oil filler cap gasket I had in the garage. It is a little thicker than I wanted, but the cap closed properly (tighter than it probably needs to be).
Sorry no pictures
Old 6/17/06, 08:59 PM

I can tell you that the leak problem is b\c the resevour is overfilled. A bunch of local people I talked to had the same problem and we all took a little fluid out, and nobody has this issue, anymore.
Old 6/17/06, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectS197
I can tell you that the leak problem is b\c the resevour is overfilled. A bunch of local people I talked to had the same problem and we all took a little fluid out, and nobody has this issue, anymore.
So you guys don't drive like I do?
Seriously, that would help a lot. Some of the guys took it to the dealer and that was the fix. Not good enough for me.
In the old days, when you put the cover on it didn't leak. We had them topped off to the max (no air, no humidity,no water to absorb). That is the other factor. If fluid can get out, can humidity get in?
Old 6/17/06, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by karman
Bill soak some teflon tape in brake fuild and see how long it takes to disappear.
The fluid will eat through the tape with time. I put a thin rubber gasket in between the cap and the rubber. It can't be very thick or the cap won't go on properly. No leaks and I've had it on for a few weeks now.
I do have a thin rubber gasket seal I cut out ready to install if needed. 4 months so far, no leaks.
Old 6/18/06, 05:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine was leaking a little but not enough to drip onto any painted surfaces. I just tightened mine after I first noticed it last year and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 6/19/06, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well i guess I should be happy my dealer is going to such extremes to fix the problem. They are replacing the brake master clinder,the resevior, and brake booster. Plus i had vibrating brakes so they are replacing the rotors and pads.
Old 6/24/06, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just a update. Got the car back yesterday. I missed her so much. The replaced the parts i already listed resurfaced the rotors and replaced the front left rotor due to it being warped. So far no sign off leakage and I will be checking daily.I really need to save up for some Steeda brakes. The stock brakes just arent cutting it for me. They are smooth now but not nearly strong enough. I have to make a apointment monday to get the paint fixed where the brake fluid bubbled it up.
Old 6/25/06, 03:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ProjectS197
Yep, I siphoned about 1 inch of fluid out and no more problem.
Old 6/25/06, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Yep, I siphoned about 1 inch of fluid out and no more problem.
On the new resivour the high mark seems lower then on the original it looks like where it is now would be in the middle mark on the old resivour.
Old 6/25/06, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has a leak too. Going to remove some fluid from the reservoir and see if that helps. Notice it from day one (12 miles on odometer).I've had the car about 3 wks and wipe it off every two or three days.
Old 6/25/06, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

make sure it hasnt dripped down the brake booster and bubbled up some paint.
Old 7/13/06, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just an FYI . . .

I had a small leak as the reservoir was always slightly "wet" around it's perimeter. I checked the booster, firewall and frame . . . sure enough, all were compromised with "blistering" paint.

Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the reservoir, master cylinder, booster and painted the areas that were compromised.

The repair sheet stated that they discovered a seal that was bad between the master cylinder and booster. The new reservoir is a different piece and the mark indicating the "full" fluid level is definately a lot lower in the reservoir.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the deal and will modify the cap with an additional internal rubber gasket as others have done should the problem continue.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leak