2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The biggest hazard in your daily commute?

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/06, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

ROAD DEBRIS!!!!

I ran over a piece of heavy metal at 5:45 this morning on the freeway that ruined my left rear wheel and tire. I was checking my r/v mirror and doing a lane change when ... BANG...major damage! Didn't have enough time to avoid it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

This is not the first time although I consider myself lucky compared to all the crap that
falls off trucks, off the roof of cars and who knows where else. I still consider sofas, gas ranges,
bbq's, car parts, gardening tools, wheel barrows, and related junk to be more dangerous
than any other driver on the road.

What's your story?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 4/12/06, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out here it's rocks. I work with a few people that have had their windshields replaced more than once each in the last year. So far I've been lucky. But if we're talking about rocks, then we're kind of talking about the other drivers too, because some aren't so bright. I can't count the number of times I thought for sure I was getting sideswiped by some soccer mom in her 6,500lb SUV who can't see me because she's too busy telling the kids in the back to turn down SpongeBob on the roof mounted DVD player while blindly switching lanes.

Eeesh, I'm glad I'm home right now, I got goosebumps. Why did you make this thread, now I'm getting short of breath and worrying about someone hitting my car more than I already do. Geez, thanks... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/12/06, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the freeways around Seattle get a lot of dumptruck traffic, and the old I-5 washboard lanes knock every loose piece of gravel from those things!
My car wasnt a week old and I had a small rock fall off a truck and bounce my way...with nowhere to bail I just had to watch it hit the hood and smack the windshield, only left a very small chip but I know it wont be the last one!
Old 4/12/06, 08:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate gravel or any other related pebble/stone [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 4/12/06, 11:27 PM
V6 Member

Yep my front bumper got hammered with all kinds of small stones and whatever. Like 10 chips out of my Cervini bumper. It was yellow with black strips now its Yellow, black and white from the primer underneath.

I need protection. Any large condoms out there that will fit a Cervini front bumper?
Old 4/12/06, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I hear it when it comes to those idiot soccer moms. I absolutely HATE their SUV,s DVD players, and their G***D***** kids that are distracting the soccer mom while she is on the phone yakking when she should be paying attention to the road.

I haven't been hit yet but it's only a matter of time since there are so many useless breeder soccer moms around here.
Old 4/12/06, 11:43 PM
GT Member

I hit a dog on highway 138 driving from victorville to santa clarita. Dark two lane highway with no where to go....dog came from the side so I had no time to react. Had to replace front spoiler and that lower black insert. Poor dog, he was dead for sure. I have seen all kinds of crap on the freeway. My nightmare is paint....I see those paint splashes on the road all of the time. One of these times, that paint is going to be wet, and I am going to be one pissed off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fuss.gif[/img] I also stay away from those 1950 something pickup trucks packed with all kinds of crap or pallets with the rearend almost scraping the group. If I was a CHP, I would pull over those people every time...
Old 4/13/06, 05:16 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

ROCKS!

I live where they are building a gajillion houses, I am forever dodging things falling off construction trucks.

Lost one windshield already and just had to touch up a buncha rock dings on the hood and front fender.
Old 4/13/06, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psfracer @ April 12, 2006, 10:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I also stay away from those 1950 something pickup trucks packed with all kinds of crap or pallets with the rearend almost scraping the group. If I was a CHP, I would pull over those people every time...[/b][/quote]

Ain't it the truth!! It's the ONLY reason I would ever want to be a CHP officer.

It amazes me what some people think will stay in the back of their trucks.
They don't realize that freeways are quite different from some lazy country
road south of the border. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 03:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

How about irresponsible trucking companies who drop rocks/concrete/sand as they drive 85mph. donkey doughnuts
Old 4/13/06, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike, I know what you mean about rocks around Seattle. I got my first hood-chip in Colorado though, 5 days after getting the car. Got it back to Seattle, and 3 months on 99 got me 5 window chips.

My worst road hazard now though, is the illegals with no drivers license, no insurance, and no idea how to drive on US roads. One of the totaled my mustang last month, now I have to order a new one. In the mean time, I'm driving a 27 year old pickup. Lots of fun. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been lucky without a chip yet, the other day this rather large rock was bouncing in front of me and BANG! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]

Hit the front licenceplate square and only dented one of the letters a little bit [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 06:31 PM
GT Member

I was driving down the highway and a golfball sized rock flew off a semi and landed on my roof. It was REALLY loud. It left a huge dent all the way down to the metal. Had to get it pulled, filled, and the entire roof re-painted. Thank goodness for $0 deductible on my comprehensive.
Old 4/14/06, 01:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont have any rock dings yet... (knock on wood) but a few weeks ago as i was changing lanes at night a hubcap flew right down the center of the lane i had just come from... if i woudl of switched laned 2 seconds later that thing woudl of OWND my front bumper and maybe some a tire or two... scary crap
Old 4/14/06, 05:28 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I also lost a spinner when in a vomit emergency I took the car through the (gasp and never again) auto carwash at the gas station.
Cost me $36 to replace.

That sucked- I was driving around Orlando Florida with no spinner, I was embarassed.
Old 4/14/06, 06:32 AM

Deer and "5 mph farm tractors in blind corners". [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] Sometimes it is just rough living in the Bavarian Alps of Germany. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Same problem happened to me too, I hit a big metal piece in the road, some SUV ran over it. It caused 2100 worth of damage... I feel for you.