2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Best or Loudest Axleback Exhaust? No other mods

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/07, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
ANY exhaust modification is illegal in the People's Republic of California.
Surprisingly, no.
Old 4/28/07, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Every_Mn
Surprisingly, no.
Anything that's louder than stock or relocates catalytic converters is.
Old 4/30/07, 11:14 AM
GT Member

SLP remove the resonators, is that illegal in ca? Just installed them last week....

thanks,
dan
Old 4/30/07, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

I was originaaly intending to put the Borla/FRPP Stingers on my Stang after hearing them on another car, but a friend of mine convinced me to go with the MAC SS axlebacks.

I am not sure if they are the loudest but compared to other axlebacks I have heard, I think the sound really good! Really great sound and bark.

Everyone hears things differently, you have to hear it for yourself to decide what sounds best to you!

As far as the SLP Lodmouths go, I know people like them because of how loud they are but the ones I heard sounded kind of garbled and crackly. After all, they are just a piece if straight pipe, there is nothing inside of them. They don't make any sound, they just extend the exhaust out the back.
Old 4/30/07, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
If you are just looking for axlebacks and not any other h/x/headers, check out the regular Bassani's. They are louder than stock, but not crazy loud...great great tone. I love hearing them just driving around. Get on it, and they will roar!! In my opinion, what the car SHOULD sound like. Deep, growling, muscular...sounds like a big block under the hood.
But it is quite loud to the point you can hear the car 5 blocks away.
Old 4/30/07, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

You can hear my car 5 blocks away.. I love it!!!!
Old 4/30/07, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
But it is quite loud to the point you can hear the car 5 blocks away.
Only if you get on the gas hard, then yes! If you drive it nicely, it is still louder than stock, but not by too much.
Old 4/30/07, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think mine is the closest to open exhuast, i have a Coffin exhuast with a custom made offroad H-pipe, dang my parents say they hear me 3-4 blocks away from the house
Old 5/1/07, 03:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Only if you get on the gas hard, then yes! If you drive it nicely, it is still louder than stock, but not by too much.
There's a guy at work that has the Bassanis (non-race). When he starts it up, I can hear the exhaust a good 1/4 mile away. If he starts it up with me standing next to it, it's almost deafening.

FWIW I think the stock exhaust is loud enough for me. I can hear some drone at 2000-2500 RPM. Keep in mind I listen to my CDs with only 2 full bars on the volume scale. A loud exhaust is fun for awhile, but I can't stand it for long periods of time. My Vic developed an exhaust leak (it still isn't as loud as the Stang) and the drone gives me a headache.
Old 5/1/07, 03:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

He must have an offroad X or H then because the non race Bassani's are not crazy loud at startup with otherwise stock exhaust. They will let you know they are there, for sure...but surely not deafen you unless you have your ear inside he exhaust tip when it fires up.

Now my old Mustang II drag car with a 600CID methanol fueled 900rwhp with just headers and a 4" collector....that was deafening!! (literally, had to wear earplugs just to drive it to the staging lanes, let alone go down the track at WOT) Nearly 10L of TORQUE!!!
Old 5/1/07, 03:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I went up against some 9 second Camaro at the drag strip in my Crown Vic (with the windows rolled up) and I could FEEL the Camaro's exhaust vibrations inside my chest. It's fun for awhile though!
Old 5/1/07, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Am I right comparing the type of sound that the race version is like the slp loudmouths and the street have a ruble type of sound thats deeper?
Old 5/1/07, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Anything that's louder than stock or relocates catalytic converters is.
Messing with the cats is a problem, however it's not illegal to swap your axle-back even if the new setup is louder. The problem is keeping it under the legal volume limit, which is why some aftermarkets systems are legal in CA, the loudest ones are not.

Actually that limit was set to "help" aftermarket modifications in CA, and SEMA was a big sponsor of the bill. Lots of cops in CA for a while were giving tickets for any changes to the exhaust system, and a lot of these citations were not justified. The theory is that having the legal limit allows us to prove to the court that the aftermarket axle-back is still within legal noise limit.
Now the real problem is that the current limit could be higher