2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Battery Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/14, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Suggestions

I live in west central Illinois and bought my 2008 Mustang GT last April. Of course, we had to have a BRUTAL winter with several sub-zero days this year and for the most part, I kept her garaged. The first bitter snap with wind chills were got to -25°. The battery ended up dying and I had to get a tow truck to jump start her. After that I started her daily and let her room for 15 to 20 minutes. Two weeks later, we get hit again with the same temps. This time, the battery died as soon as the first night.

That was a few weeks ago and I'm getting ready to get a new battery. She currently has a Motorcraft AZ BXT-96R. We don't get sub zeros temps here that often, but I'd like to get a battery that would withstand the temps better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 2/24/14, 03:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi - welcome to TMS.

It may or may not have been the cold weather. Some people have constant draining issues with the factory Motorcraft battery, and many other owners do not. There are a few threads here about it and there hasn't been anything very concrete on what causes the drain from what I've read.

However, my 08 factory Motorcraft battery is still doing great. I garage my Bullitt for the winter months, and start it up every 4-6 weeks and drive it briefly (until the fan comes on so the engine gets good and warm) so as to lubricate the seals and charge the battery. It has only died once these past 6 yrs when I waited 8 weeks.

I don't know what the CCA (cold cranking amps) are on the factory battery, but when mine dies I plan on buying a brand X from a local chain (prob Interstate or Exide I think) that has at least the same or more CCA's. I've used them in my other cars for years and 84 month batteries pretty much go 84 months.

Maybe somebody else know the Motorcraft CCA's.
Old 2/25/14, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
starting you car and letting it run for 15 to 20 minutes doesn't do anything good for your battery. It takes 20 to 30 minutes of driving at speed to charge the battery back up from a cold start..... from what I have heard. Autozone has a pretty good battery for right around 100 bucks. I have had one in my car for a few years now. I also bought a battery tender for those times its not going to get driven for few days or longer.
Old 2/25/14, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
When my OEM battery dies, I always replace it with a Sears, I've had good luck with them and they carry a good warranty.
Old 2/25/14, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You're likely to continue having battery issues. Buy one that's cheap, and look for the longest warranty you can find. Also look into a battery to jump yourself if no one else is around.
Old 2/25/14, 07:35 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,001 Likes on 620 Posts
The Ford Motorcraft battery is a wonderful choice and will last many years, even in cold temps, especially if garage kept. My garage has gone down into the 40's many times this winter. No issues with the current two year old Motorcraft battery. The key is to drive the car, even once every two weeks or so would be fine. Idling is not good for any component of your car, never mind the battery. It must be driven to normal operating temps. That is how I maintain my SS which is now 27 years old. Even the exhaust is original because no condensation gets built up anywhere. If you can't drive your Mustang or don't want to, then a battery tender will be in your future along with that new Motorcraft battery. Don't be cheap either. These will run over $100. If you want cheap, expect lousy results. You get what you pay for, and the warranty usually backs that up as well.
Enjoy your ride when the weather warms up!
Old 2/25/14, 01:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies! We've had a lot of snow as well, so I haven't been able to drive her like I normally would, which I know didn't help the situation.
Old 2/25/14, 01:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
starting you car and letting it run for 15 to 20 minutes doesn't do anything good for your battery. It takes 20 to 30 minutes of driving at speed to charge the battery back up from a cold start..... from what I have heard. .
I can only say what I've experienced for 6 winters now. My mailbox is out on the highway about a mile round trip. After letting the engine idle for about 5 mins, I drive out in 1st at about 2.5-3k with some revs in between. By the time I'm back in the driveway and close the gate, the fan comes on. I've read that's a good indicator the engine is good and warm (not just on the water temp gauge). I trust the stainless steel exhaust can handle that 4 times/winter. By doing this I have not only lubed the seals in the engine and rear diff (and A/C), but it keeps the battery charged for up to 6 weeks (didn't last 8 wks). Including this winter where early December had a week of -10* nights. It fired right up after that on 1.1.14.
Old 2/26/14, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One word: Interstate
Old 2/27/14, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
My '08 GT's OEM Motorcraft is stil strong .....
Old 2/27/14, 09:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
if the battery is clean and fully charged, unhook it, it wont go dead... Ive had them short lived both in winter beaters that sit most of the summer, and summer cars that sit most of the winter... reading up on them, if even only 99% charged, the plates will begin slowly sulfating- the deader they get, the faster the crap builds up- deep cycling even one time and leaving it dead for a week can destroy a battery... keep it 100% charged (if connected, requires a tender due to parasitic draw of PCM/stereo/other memory circuits) and pull the lead off it will stay 100% for many months just like on the store shelves... run it down even a little and let it sit, it will begin its decline.

I put a 4 yr autozone battery in our 65 galaxie in 2002, it only gets driven a few times a year, ran every 4-6 weeks for a half hour minimum, still going 12 yrs later- and that car ALWAYS cranks a good 15+ seconds before it starts. had to move it off the lift a couple weeks ago, was way below zero, cranked and cranked, but fired right up, only stalled once...aah the joys of carburetors/chokes that car dont even have a clock in it, attribute the insane battery life to that. Ive bought 3 mustang batteries in the last 8 yrs, two were for the still undriven 09... started unhooking its battery and it quit killing them- the mustangs seem to have more 'off' draw than any car Ive ever had before.

just had to put a battery in my mercury tonight, had to get a jump leaving work today...man I'm soooo ready for winter to be over, been freezing my butt off all day...heater in my office quit, was like 40 in there, was out working in cold (20?) substation about half the day, had some errands tonight, then out at 10:00 swapping batteries... its bedtime.
Old 2/27/14, 10:15 PM

put a battery tender on it and don't start it unless ur actually going to drive it
Old 2/28/14, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I like the autozone batteries too. Price point and warranty and they are about 5 minutes from my house