2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/13, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Drain?

nice to make a post on here again! anywho... my gpa has an 05 GT w/ about 12k miles or so. over the years i believe the battery has been replaced several times. there seems to be a draw of some sort happening but from where? who knows? i've read on other forums from google searches and some say it is the amp from Shaker equipped Mustangs causing the draw. some say it is the alarm system causing the draw. i don't think he leaves it locked since its garaged but he does have the Shaker 500 system. i also read turning the radio off before turning the ignition off may help eliminate the drain. has anyone else been through this? is there a recall or TSB out? or i even wonder if there was a fix for this issue on the 2007-2009 models... anyways what do you guys think?
Old 8/18/13, 07:33 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
It depends on your term (definition) of 'several times'. If just twice in 8 years, that's nothing for a car that sits so much. I only get about 4 years out of my Ford batteries and my neighbor only gets about 3 - 4 years out of his two Mustangs that rarely are driven (also Ford batteries). Are they 36 month batteries or 60 month or what? Mongrel batteries or Ford batteries? Many factors. There may be nothing wrong whatsoever.

Last edited by NC14GT; 8/18/13 at 07:34 AM.
Old 8/18/13, 10:43 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Whether you want to hear this or not.. With all the modern electrical components, sensors ect.. It's not uncommon and unfortunately quite normal for cars that are not in usage for 10+ days and longer to have battery discharge..

The best solution is to run a battery tender whenever your car is not being used for 4+days and longer.. My friend has an 05 C6 Corvette which has the very same issues and Corvette actually sells their own battery tenders for $100.00
Old 8/29/13, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I had this issue shortly after I got my '06 in '07. When the car sat for 2 days un-driven, the battery would be completly drained. It happened 3 times. First time the dealer replaced the batter. Second time, they recharged it. 3rd time they questioned what was in my car, and found that the aftermarket headphone jack was wired improperly. They pointed out the wires, told me what didn't look right, left the whole thing torn apart, and charged me $200.

I took it to the aftermarket place to let them know. They of course tried to defend their work. They ended up replacing the unit, and I have't had any problems sense.

So my guess is that its something electrical. If you have anything aftermarket installed, look at that first.
Old 8/30/13, 11:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Jay
there seems to be a draw of some sort happening but from where? who knows? i've read on other forums from google searches and some say it is the amp from Shaker equipped Mustangs causing the draw. some say it is the alarm system causing the draw.
Normal depending on how often the car is started and how long it's driven to recharge the battery.

I parked the car in the winter the first year I had it with the battery still connected. It would be dead within the week.
Between all the electronics and the motion sensors on the anti-theft are always putting a drain on the battery.

Either have to drive it or keep the battery on a float/trickle charger.

Sidenote, after that first winter, I started just disconnecting the battery while it sat.
In the spring, I'd connect it and it always fired up on the first crank. The battery is still the original to this day (feb 2005)

Last edited by Boomer; 8/30/13 at 11:16 PM.
Old 8/31/13, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
being an armchair mechanic and just going by description I notice it is a low mileage car. cars that are not driven much often suffer battery issues. even when the car sits it draws a certain amount of energy. If you disconnect it it will also loose some energy. On my cars if I do not drive them much I put a charger on them once in a while to keep them fresh. Not sure if that is your issue but I thought I would mention it.
Old 9/15/13, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Red Jay
nice to make a post on here again! anywho... my gpa has an 05 GT w/ about 12k miles or so. over the years i believe the battery has been replaced several times. there seems to be a draw of some sort happening but from where? who knows? i've read on other forums from google searches and some say it is the amp from Shaker equipped Mustangs causing the draw. some say it is the alarm system causing the draw. i don't think he leaves it locked since its garaged but he does have the Shaker 500 system. i also read turning the radio off before turning the ignition off may help eliminate the drain. has anyone else been through this? is there a recall or TSB out? or i even wonder if there was a fix for this issue on the 2007-2009 models... anyways what do you guys think?

As a "FWIW" comment, I have read a lot of posts about batteries in these cars and I have noticed that the one in it isn't overly large. I have looked at maybe swapping it, but our 2008 GT is a Deluxe, it does not have the Shaker 500 system (and we have no desire to have same) .... but at 23,000 miles and 5 years of age, it does still have the originally shipped battery in it and it was tested at my AAP and as of last evening .... still starts the car fast ....

When I ever do replace it, I'll either go with AAP Gold or Gold AGM or maybe Costco's Kirkland battery.
.... it's still a "Good Battery".

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
being an armchair mechanic and just going by description I notice it is a low mileage car. cars that are not driven much often suffer battery issues. even when the car sits it draws a certain amount of energy. If you disconnect it it will also loose some energy. On my cars if I do not drive them much I put a charger on them once in a while to keep them fresh. Not sure if that is your issue but I thought I would mention it.

I do this as well on ones that sit a lot, my '77 F150, the '01 Merc, or any that have sat awhile ..... or my bikes. I have a couple 10 amp chargers and I have three 1.5 amp charger / maintainers I use. That '77 F-150 4X4 has 104K miles .... almost .... and a Legend 75 battery that was put in in May 2003 and it still starts like a new battery.

The key to even hoping for long battery life is never let it die the first time.

Last edited by tbear853; 9/27/13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 9/15/13, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
A Battery Tender Plus has kept my original battery in good condition for 6.5 years. The Pony has 767 miles now and gets cranked about once every 6 weeks.
Old 9/16/13, 06:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
no alarm and no speaker in the trunk and yes my battery will still go dead if I just let the car sit for too long. If I know I'm not going to be driving it with in two days I put the tender on it. Also if your car makes a lot of short trips with several starts within that short trip you should put it on a battery tender.
Old 9/25/13, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings, new to this forum but not new to forums in general.

I have an '07 GT and the first time I experienced a battery flat was after two months of sitting whilst I was out of the country a year ago. I mean it was flat. So, I put the charger on it for about 12 hours and it was good for another year. But when I went out of the country next time, I put the charger on a 24 hour charger that came on for 1 hour twice a day. Battery was fine when I came home.

Fast forward another few months and the car sat for 6 days. The battery was just about flat. So I jumped it and it was fine. However, my next trip was to NAPA. I got the larger battery and replaced the original. I guess 6 years isn't too bad.