2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Avoiding Looking Like I'm Driving a Rental?

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/04, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

While a couple of folks slightly missed the mark (I don't care what people think, but, where I live, rental cars are frequently targeted from robbery/theft.), I appreciate all of the feedback.

By the way, for those of you who raised the comment, many companies in many states now don't have rental stickers and plates because they don't want their cars targeted. That's what creates the potential problem for the rest of us.

Since I have a rather conservative job, pulling into my parking space with stripes, a vanity plate, tinted windows, or mods like a larger spoiler probably wouldn't work for me - not really my style anyway. (Too each his own. Speaking of which, apologies if I maligned anyone's color assuming it was more likely to be on a rental car.)

From what's been said, it sounds like rentals could be any color, and, for me, the best diferentiator will be interior upgrades, my work parking sticker, my windshield sunshield - and maybe bullit wheels. (Hey, a guy's gotta have some fun.) Of course, the machine gun wasn't a bad idea either...

Thanks, again, all. I'm leaning much closer to satin silver now - even if they might rent them in that color.

Mas35NYR, what was the interior color on that silver one you rented in Florida? I'm trying to decide between Light Graphite and Medium Parchment.
Old 12/27/04, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by aponyfan@December 27, 2004, 6:58 AM
(Too each his own. Speaking of which, apologies if I maligned anyone's color assuming it was more likely to be on a rental car.)

Don't worry about it.

here is my thinking though.

I bet that if there would be a more common color it would be white, and if there would be a red for rentals it would be redfire since car companies like that darker red for hiding dirt and I have seen similar colors MANY times on taurus's and other cars, just a bright red like Torch. I am not saying that redfire mustangs are rentals, just mnore likely to be.
Old 12/27/04, 10:28 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

My husband rents cars OFTEN- He doesn't fly EVER....Usually before Eleanor came home He rented mustangs(for me) ..
On the hertz lot we frequent the most common colors are redfire, white and torch red. I think the 2 current ones(05) in Bhams fleet are reds as well,I tried to rent them for EVER before I finally got my own.
Old 12/27/04, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tom_vilsack@December 26, 2004, 12:53 AM
Maybe a custom plate might help?

Too funny
Old 12/27/04, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

I agree with MrWick. I work by the airport in Orlando and watch the rental Mustangs pass by all the time. I have seen almost every color. The colors I have seen the least of would probably be black and lime. As for the GT, I haven't seen any of those on the rental lots... not even the speciality lots. Even if they were renting those, they would be so few and far between, I would say a GT would be a safe bet in setting you apart.

I don't know if I agree with the safety issue. There are tons of models on the rental lots. In a town like Orlando, it would be hard to pick a vehicle that didn't look like a rental in some way shape or form. For years I drove a white V6 Mustang that blended right in with all the rentals. I never had any problems. I have many friends and coworkers that drive common rental models and none have had an incident.