2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

AutoWeek First Drive, Oct 4

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/04, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the solid axle in my GT, never had an issue except on turns with potholes at high speeds, but then again, I have never ever had a vehicle with an independant rear suspension.
Old 10/1/04, 09:39 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you don't like it, there are $3500 rebates at your local Pontiac dealer for the GTO.
Seen them as low as $6500 off MSRP in local paper. Those tempted may want to wait until next year to get an extral 50 hp.

I agree with others. If you are on this forum, then you must have some interest in Mustangs. If you want IRS and are willing to pay extra then wait a year for an 06 Cobra, or shop elsewhere. It's that simple.
Old 10/1/04, 05:39 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tom_vilsack@October 1, 2004, 2:39 AM
canadian prices

G35 manual msrp = $47,700

GT Mustang manual = $32,795

price difference = 14,905

for the price difference alone i could almost buy a new 04 V6 mustang (19,995)

Yes the G35 is a very nice car,but its missing that something that makes one passionate about cars,i cant really describe that feeling in words,but the 05 mustang just seems to have it...

Good luck with your decision branch:
I test drove a 350Z, G35 coupe and G35 sedan. After all the glowing car rag reviews (C&D 10 best), etc. I was expecting to be blown away. After all was said and done, I was rather dissappointed with all 3 cars. If you want steering that feels really quick and responsive, then these cars are for your. Other than that I found all 3 severly lacking.

Specifically, the Nissian platform that these cars are made on is inherently unstable. When making corners at even modest speeds over bumpy roads, all 3 of these cars hop sideways far worse than my supposely POS, 2001 Mustang GT with its antiquated solid axle. The car rags. give Nissian a complete pass on this inherent stability problem. Autoweek said "we recommend you leave the stability control on, even though is is invasive." Consumers Reports said "The G35 can be hard to handle at the limit". At the limit? give me a break I had them hopping every which way on our bumpy northern roads FAR below any limit.

I also found the interiors to have horrible ergonomics. The hot Infinity saleswoman could not find the mirror controls on the G35. The power seat controls are designed to give you a case of carpal tunnel syndrome. The interior materials look and feel cheap.

Yes the 350Z and G35 are pretty fast for V6's, but they lack smooth power delivery. They are geared for pretty good zip off the line, but then they bog down until the 3500 RPM power surge. I'll take the smooth power delivery of a V8 Mustang any day, especially since a Mustang runs on 87 Octane gas. When you drop the 350Z or G35's gas mileage buy 10% to 15% to compensate for the extra cost of premium gas, they are not as impressive.

Add to that Infinity dealers are far and few between. There are only 2 Infinity delaers within an hour's drive from me and they are both owned by the same people. Their attitude was "we are doing you a favor offering to sell you a G35 coupe at sticker price". The closest Nissian dealer (owned by the same people who own the 2 Infinity dealers) totally ignored me when I was in the showroom and then would NOT even let me test drive a 350Z. I have a choice of 10 Ford dealers within that hour's drive. I have NEVER been turned down own a test drive at any Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer.

You can keep your Nissians and your Infinity badged Nissians. They are WAY over rated and the dealers stink.
Old 10/1/04, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by branch@September 30, 2004, 4:35 PM
AutoWeek did a brief 2 page overview on the 05 GT, with mixed opinions. In brief, liked the exterior but to plain, no real design elements, likened it to a plastic model car. Liked the interior but luke warm on the cost cutting cheap hard plastic. Handling superior to former GT, crisp and sharp reflexes,maybe GTO, but inferior to Z350...........exactly like one of our members reported months ago and was unfairly criticized.
Lastly, and I quote " All of that we can deal with(car's shortcomings). What we can't comprehend is Ford continuinintg to equip the first 21st centrury Mustang with a live rear axle............while the competition squeezed it in with the cost of admission'. Interestingly, all these comments are mine EXACTLY............and will wait to test drive one before deciding on it or a G35 6mt, admitedly about $8k more MSRP, but only $6K transaction price, and over a 10 year life, pennies a day.
Nope not true at all. No one took him serious, because he said the 350Z was faster not because he said it handled better. He said the 350Z pulled harder, which we can now conclude is not true at all since MT showed it's capable of mid 13 seconds, with an AUTO.

The guy was clear full of BS.
Old 10/1/04, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The IRS people should do one of two things:

A) Not be interested in this car and purchase something else such as the 350z and be walloped significantly and often by those of us who know the real story

B) Wait for the Cobra, pay an additional $10,000 for more power, IRS and the exclusivity of owning an SE Mustang

In either case, the continued whining over this car not having IRS (at $27,000) has about run it's course.

GET OVER IT.
Old 10/1/04, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Galaxie@September 30, 2004, 5:48 PM
Another live axle debate

I thought this topic was beaten do death, can't we just agree to disagree?

Ok, to recap, before the insults start flying:....

This thread can go for 100 pages....

I apologise for being blunt, but since I have joined the board, there have at least 10-15 of these threads, almost every one has been locked because it has turned into hurling of insults.

If people want to debate about it, no problem, but I really see no point

I believe Steve hit this one on the mark!
Old 10/1/04, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66+October 1, 2004, 2:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponyboy66 @ October 1, 2004, 2:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pitpup@September 30, 2004, 6:00 PM
... my wayward son... there'll be peace when you are done!
Don't you cry no more....................... [/b][/quote]
:nono:

You forgot "Lay your weary head to rest"

:P
Old 10/2/04, 01:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's funny. It always boils down to this, drive the car, if you like it, buy it! No IRS, get over it already or don't buy the car. Wait for the Cobra or whatever else they come out with that has it. You want to keep comparing it to a G35 or 350Z, buy one of those already. There is nothing wrong with poo-poo'ing the new Mustang but have "you" driven one?
Old 10/2/04, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Found this link for a review at Stangnet, but it may be here also. This fellow claims to be an import snob right at the beginning of his article. But he is very fair & open to the Stang & by the end of his test he is in love with the Live Axle setup on the car. He got to drive it on some of CA best twisty roads. He alludes to the fact that the car feels as good as an EVO & STI, & he concludes that if you want the ultimate GT wait for the Cobra & sell your M5. That's pretty impressive.

All that said, a good 3 link setup & chassis (which I assume the Stang has) can & will run with IRS cars, racers have known this for years. Now do some modifications, springs, shocks, ( I think Ford has them pretty close) some wheels, Sticky tires, & your rocking.

Check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news...spy?artid=29748
Old 10/2/04, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

GET OVER IT.
That would make a great slogan for ford !

"Here at Ford it's the beancounters who design our cars, Get over it..."