2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Auto GT owners, do u regret getting the auto?

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only regret is that none of the transmissions are made in the USA.
Old 2/23/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

No regrets here either.

Would've liked the option, but since every other side-street and strip-mall here in SoCal appears to require it's own stop-light (and BOY did I ever find out why that is!!!), I couldn't imagine trying to drive one here.
Old 2/23/05, 08:54 PM

I need help from those that live in hilly (mountainous) places. I alternate cars often during the week, one is an auto and the other is a stick. However, currently I live in southeast Georgia where there are no hills, but I will soon move to north Georgia into the middle of the mountains. The school where I am transfering is literally in the mountains. My question is, is it hard or agrevating to drive a manual up high hills and in traffic.
Old 2/24/05, 06:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Southern_stang@February 23, 2005, 9:57 PM
...I alternate cars often during the week, one is an auto and the other is a stick... My question is, is it hard or agrevating to drive a manual up high hills and in traffic.
You will probably get many different opinions on this, judging from responses to previous auto. vs. stick threads. Since you have access to both, I would try driving both (if possible) on the type of roads you will be driving and decide for yourself.

I personally prefer the added control over the car that a stick gives on hills, but prefer the not having to shift constantly that an auto. gives you in traffic. Since I am in traffic far more than in the hills, I went with the auto.
Old 2/24/05, 08:43 AM
Banned

No regreats here at all. I love it!!!!!!
Old 2/24/05, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by PerfWhite05@February 23, 2005, 4:52 AM
I mean on one hand you figure.. well.. it's a performance car so I should get the manual right... but on the other hand you think well.. it's an everyday driver and I live in the city so I'll take the auto..
That's the predicament I had, practicality or fun? I ended up vying for the practical option (the auto). Which, turned out to be fun and leaves me a hand free, to make derogatory gestures to those tiny specks in my rearview.
Old 2/24/05, 08:58 AM

Oh, but I would consider getting the gears changed to 4.10's in the auto, although it does seem a bit of a chore to get round to...
Old 2/24/05, 10:32 AM
FR500 Member

The 4.10 gears is definitely on my list also. Around $500 installed and a few hours in the shop isn't too bad.
Old 2/24/05, 11:33 AM

Do I regret getting the auto?
Absolutely NOT!

Does it take any of the "performance car" away from it?
In my opinion, NO!

What may have been cool, but probably not really for the Mustang, would have been the autoshift!
Old 2/24/05, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Actually I would recommend that all die hard manual loyalists test drive THIS auto. IMO you'll be pleasantly suprised. It's not the typical "slush box" that I've heard automatic transmissions refered to in previous threads on this topic. Of course that's not to say that you'll change your mind on what you're going to go with but in this specific instance, as others have eluded to, it comes down to more principal and "perception" than anything else. I say that because this automatic truly performs.. I mean, I considered purchasing an 04 Stang but I didn't like the feel of the automatic and at the time I wasn't considering converting to manual. In other words, if you're basing your opinions on previous cars (even earlier Stangs), then I would suggest that you try it before you come to any hard and fast conclusions. Most of all, whatever you choose to go with, have fun and enjoy it...!!!
Old 2/25/05, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, I bought my GT with an Auto because I found it on the lot in the color and options that I wanted at a reasonable price. I also decided that I could "Live with the Auto" because the wife cannot drive a stick and I have to drive in VERY heavy traffic. Shortly after I bought it, I even though about selling it and or trading it for a vert with a stick shift. One guy even offered me more than I paied for the car and I almost sold it to him.

However, after driving it for a little while I became a complete convert. This is hand down the best auto that I have ever driven. I seriously doubt that this auto gives up much if any preformance to the stick. It shifts right on 6100rpm every time with little rpm loss. I do agree that an excellent driver who gets plenty of speed shifting practice could probably out preform this auto, but few people really could. I know that the super macho male mentality displayed so prominately in some of these posts prevents most from admiting this. I will ( reluctantly ) admit that my 40 year old reflexes could not out shift this auto...

I also know I would have made the same arguments that some of you guys have made here in favor of the stick before I actually drove the auto for a while.

In my opinion, that guys that really trash this auto have never actually driven one...

Bottom line, is get what you want to drive based on your driving habits and personal tastes. However, you do not need to worry about the preformance aspect between the two choices....
Old 2/25/05, 01:13 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by sranger@February 25, 2005, 12:51 PM

In my opinion, that guys that really trash this auto have never actually driven one...

Exactly! That's not to say every hardcore stick shifter will leave their stick for this auto. But, don't knock it until you try it.
Old 2/25/05, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a manual, but had the chance to drive an auto the other day. I was very impressed with it.

When it comes down to it, get whichever you are more comfortable with... it's a performance car either way.

Personally, I got the manual because I love driving a stick-shift. I don't drive in traffic very much either, so the decision was easy.

Either way, you can't lose with this car.
Old 2/25/05, 05:48 PM

This was originally asked about GT owners but I see some V6 people adding their 2 cents so I'll add mine. I wanted a manual, I was about to have the dealer order me one but then I realized I'd have to WAIT. I just didn't want to wait so I got the auto expecting to be disappointed but it live with it anyway. The consolation for my lack of patience! :bang:

Of all the choices and options I had, the auto transmission is probably the biggest unexpected benefit. It rocks. Now I'm glad they didn't have a manual.
Old 2/25/05, 09:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love the auto. I have done too much stop-and-go city driving to want a standard again. With the sophistication of the auto tranny, you'd be hard pressed to do as well shifting manually.
Old 1/29/06, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

Picked up my black 06 GT Vert yesterday. I was contemplating the same situation. However, I live in NYC and having been stuck in traffic what seems to be all my life, I didn't hesitate one bit.

Now, my confirmation has been reinforced after driving her for two days. I gunned her for the first time today and was AMAZED that she shifted right on the red with O/D off. Ford really did a great job tuning the Auto tranny.
Old 1/29/06, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

I'm loving my GT Auto. It's a great Auto Trans.
Old 1/29/06, 10:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Kilmar@January 29, 2006, 11:51 PM
Picked up my black 06 GT Vert yesterday. I was contemplating the same situation. However, I live in NYC and having been stuck in traffic what seems to be all my life, I didn't hesitate one bit.

Now, my confirmation has been reinforced after driving her for two days. I gunned her for the first time today and was AMAZED that she shifted right on the red with O/D off. Ford really did a great job tuning the Auto tranny.
i also live in the nyc area and deal with the same traffic as you do and i would not trade my manual tranny for anything...........
Old 1/30/06, 05:14 AM
V6 Member

No regrets here!. Funny though every show I go to they act is if I whimped out with the auto vs the 5spd. Driven many standards and true they are fun to drive ,but in traffic they get old real fast. The performance for the auto is plenty for me. A great car to drive either way..
Old 1/30/06, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love the automatic. It so smooth and FAST....no way I could shift that quickly. On a manual I'm so used to lifting up on the throttle between shifs, I can not not do it. It power shifts seamlessly.
As it says in the manual a "forced downshift" by flooring it gets you out of OD really really fast.

And now I'm commuting every day. I'm going against trafffic, but I'm still glad I got the auto!

Quick Reply: Auto GT owners, do u regret getting the auto?