2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anyone elses gas gauge stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/06, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes, when my car has plenty of gas (1/4+ tank) and I jump on the throttle, the message center tells me I'm low on fuel (25 - 40 miles to empty). Only after I shut off the car and restart will this reset and give me the correct miles to empty.

Anyone having the same behavior? Not a big deal, just kinda bugging me.
Old 3/13/06, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

Mine did the same thing after a hard right turn, I went from a quarter of a tank to 20 miles. The mileage counter did not reset even though the gas gauge eventually made it back to showing a quarter of a tank.

Same thing I had to shut it off and restart to get the computer to figure out that I had enough gas.

I thought for sure that somebody had siphoned gas from me!
Old 3/13/06, 09:31 AM
GT Member

I had the same problem with my car. According to my dealer I had a high level of carbon in my gas and a gas take treatment was put in and fixed my problem. I now put in a bottle of tank treatment once every 6 fill-ups or so.
Eric
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8 Steed @ March 13, 2006, 10:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mine did the same thing after a hard right turn, I went from a quarter of a tank to 20 miles. The mileage counter did not reset even though the gas gauge eventually made it back to showing a quarter of a tank.

Same thing I had to shut it off and restart to get the computer to figure out that I had enough gas.

[/b][/quote]
Old 3/13/06, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elwhit95 @ March 13, 2006, 8:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I had the same problem with my car. According to my dealer I had a high level of carbon in my gas and a gas take treatment was put in and fixed my problem. I now put in a bottle of tank treatment once every 6 fill-ups or so.
Eric
[/b][/quote]

Interesting since the Operator's Manual says that additives may harm the fuel system. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Old 4/11/06, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8 Steed @ March 13, 2006, 11:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Mine does that even from up to nearly half a tank. I think they use dual sensors and you can throw most of the gas to one side of the saddle tank and it tricks the system. The gas levels back out but the message center freaks out. The computer eventually gets back on track, but its incredibly annoying for low gas warning beeps, especially when you drive less then 5 miles to work and can go 3+ days with a quarter tank. Since we drive on the right in the US you rarely can make as hard a left turn as a right. I have this hard banked right ramp going out of work and its easy to get the gas gauge to go to E with a full throttle turn like that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrenal @ March 13, 2006, 1:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Interesting since the Operator's Manual says that additives may harm the fuel system. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

EVERY single owners manual on every single car says that.
Old 4/11/06, 10:25 AM
Queen Of Nascar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ April 11, 2006, 12:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>EVERY single owners manual on every single car says that.
[/b][/quote]

That might be true...but this post is enough to make me not ever put any in:

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=2657
Old 4/11/06, 11:28 AM
GT Member

"EVERY single owners manual on every single car says that."

If every single Operator's Manual says that additives may harm the fuel system, then on what basis would someone add it?

"Well, this guy I know who sells it says he knows more than the manufacturer" Or "It's a conspiracy - designed obsolesce" ???
Old 4/11/06, 12:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this happen to me, when I went around a corner hard as well. I had 1/2 a tank, then all of a sudden, after coming out of the corner, the computer said "5 miles to E" It took over a day for the gauge to come back on. The bugger was that the computer kept telling me I only had "241 miles to E" after I would fill the tank completely. This troubled me, as I filled up another GT here at the dealership and it showed 310 to E on its computer. Well last weekend, when I got my new Airaid CAI (AWESOME UNIT, thanks Wade [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] ), I disconnected the negative battery lead while I installed it. When I was finished, and put the battery cable back on, the mileage to empty went up dramatically(the tank was full when I started). It registered 309 miles to E, up from 241. For anyone who may have an issue with your gas gauge, or mileage computer, try unhooking your negative battery cable. It worked for me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/11/06, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gmichael @ April 11, 2006, 1:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
"EVERY single owners manual on every single car says that."

If every single Operator's Manual says that additives may harm the fuel system, then on what basis would someone add it?

"Well, this guy I know who sells it says he knows more than the manufacturer" Or "It's a conspiracy - designed obsolesce" ???
[/b][/quote]

Well if a manufacturer said 'use fuel additives' it would leave them ALL kinds of opportunities for problems from things beyond thier control. Why WOULD a manufacturer leave themselves open like that, just say don't do it, all liability problems solved..... Now at the dealer level there are services like BG intake service that are approved by the manufactuer. But if you SAY you can use fuel additives, technically you could put sugar in the tank if you feel like it...
Old 4/11/06, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

It happened to me in my '06 once also.
Old 4/15/06, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

In the afternoon I get a chance to move my car to a safer parking spot my average gas mileage reading drops artificially low until put on 5-7 miles on the way home.
Old 4/15/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

My low fuel light never comes on no matter how low I am. I don't have the IUP.
Old 4/15/06, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I've accelerated thru a few corners hard and have never had the fuel gauge freak out. Of course I also always refuel my car when it gets down to a 1/4 tank. I've seen far to many fuel pumps burn themselves out prematurely by constantly running your tank down to empty, not to mention the fact you'd be sucking all the sediment from the bottom of the tank (yes, these is always a small amount of sediment contained in the gasoline).