2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anti lock brakes & traction control

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/05, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The traction control kicks in when you are spinning the wheels allowing so if you let off the gas it may not have had to kick in. I have it in my taurus and it drives me nuts in the winter. I would never go without ABS again but with the tc on the front wheel up in Maine I hate it. Nothing more scary then pulling out on the road and a car is off a ways and you hit ice as you take off and next thing you know you arent moving and the car is on your arss.
Old 4/17/05, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not one for T/C, I like to control excelleration all on my own, on any road surface. But ABS I like it a lot, a must have.
Old 4/17/05, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Webba@April 17, 2005, 7:44 PM
The traction control kicks in when you are spinning the wheels allowing so if you let off the gas it may not have had to kick in. I have it in my taurus and it drives me nuts in the winter. I would never go without ABS again but with the tc on the front wheel up in Maine I hate it. Nothing more scary then pulling out on the road and a car is off a ways and you hit ice as you take off and next thing you know you arent moving and the car is on your arss.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.
Old 4/17/05, 10:14 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The first time I noticed it would allow me to do a lot more spinning than my '03, I didn't notice if it came on. I was used to the idiot light of the '03. That one can be seen with perifial(sp?) vision.
A few days later I purposely tested it and that's when I found out the "indicator" was the information center. I NEVER would have seen it if I wasn't looking for it. Not a good place for it, if you ask me.

As for giving it time to kick in before I let off, belive me it had time. Like I said before, I did MORE than a full "S" before I let off.
Old 4/17/05, 10:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon,April 17, 2005, 8:31 PM
From your other post, I'd get your brakes checked, you might have a problem. I went into a slide with the wheel slightly turned and slipped the clutch... the back end swung about 2-3 feet and jerked itself straight, as it was coming back I turned the wheel the other direction and gassed it... same thing, kicked out and jerked itself back straight. (ooh, my poor axles) Turned the TC off and did the same thing and ended up doing a nice little 180.

When you did this did your message center display the TC active? I've only seen mine activate once (gravel road and lots of rain). I've accidently taken a turn too fast and the back end has swung out but I don't remember if the TC activated or not. Would taking my foot off the gas have stopped it from kicking in?
[/quote]

I didn't notice it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Honestly, when I'm trying to put my car into a 30mph slide on wet blacktop, I wasn't interested in reading my guages. I'm just glad there's no 'ding' when it kicks in and displays the message on the message center. That'd really be distracting when you're trying to recover from losing control.
Old 4/17/05, 10:29 PM
GT Member

I wouldn't have noticed it either except I was only going 10mph. That turn though, whew, I could only think about "What do I do to NOT hit one of these cars parked on the street! "
Old 4/17/05, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From your other post, I'd get your brakes checked, you might have a problem. I went into a slide with the wheel slightly turned and slipped the clutch... the back end swung about 2-3 feet and jerked itself straight, as it was coming back I turned the wheel the other direction and gassed it... same thing, kicked out and jerked itself back straight. (ooh, my poor axles) Turned the TC off and did the same thing and ended up doing a nice little 180.
Sounds like ya need a lil training on driving without the TCS. All kidding aside, the TCS is nice for the fact that it will save you in an unexpected slide. And the ability to turn it off is nice in cases where you want to let it all hang out. Anyhow, I don't use mine all the time, but I've noticed it kick in a few times when I haven't even thought about it being on or not. It's great in the winter time (yeah, I did the snow thing in my stang). Although a word of advice for when you're getting started moving is to turn it off, otherwise you'll just have no power going to move you anywhere. In cases where you are stopped it's nice to be able to get moving, but as soon as you're up to a reasonable speed you can always flip it back on. I am sure that this function will probably save a few 05 stangs from the guardrails in the winter time.
Old 4/18/05, 05:21 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have neither, and have had no problems driving it.
Old 4/18/05, 05:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think ABS is a great thing to have. It could save your life! That's one of the reasons I ordered mine instead of trying to find something on a lot!