2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Advice on smoothing my 2005 GT ride...

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/13 | 06:27 PM

Advice on smoothing my 2005 GT ride...

Hey Folks,

I've had my 2005GT since July 2012. I know it's a sports car and they ride rough. But, I got it out of storage this week and with the bumpy heaved MN roads, I almost thought my pony was going to buck me off. She has a meir 35,000 miles on her original shocks/struts and original Perelli Tires.

I don't need my Mustang to ride like a Lincoln but maybe I could get it to ride a little more like a Taraus or maybe a Fusion.

I was thinking the Tokico D Spec adjustables or the Ford Racing adjustables. Fords are $200 more. The reviews for the D spec are really good. I figure this way I can change from a softer ride to a firmer if I like.

Just wondering if anyone else has used adjustable shocks and how they feel about their experience.
Old 3/8/13 | 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DJ Moxie
Hey Folks,

I've had my 2005GT since July 2012. I know it's a sports car and they ride rough. But, I got it out of storage this week and with the bumpy heaved MN roads, I almost thought my pony was going to buck me off. She has a meir 35,000 miles on her original shocks/struts and original Perelli Tires.

I don't need my Mustang to ride like a Lincoln but maybe I could get it to ride a little more like a Taraus or maybe a Fusion.

I was thinking the Tokico D Spec adjustables or the Ford Racing adjustables. Fords are $200 more. The reviews for the D spec are really good. I figure this way I can change from a softer ride to a firmer if I like.

Just wondering if anyone else has used adjustable shocks and how they feel about their experience.

quite a few have used adjustable. i had mine lowered with the 07 shelby suspension pack at my dealer and the ride really improved. also i have 275's on all 4 during past 2 summers and they really improved the ride smoothness.
Old 3/8/13 | 10:39 PM
GT Member

Ok I'm not looking to start anything, but why the hell are you still on the original tires? Are you nuts? Regardless of mileage, tire compound breaks down over time and falls apart. In fact it can be extremely dangerous at highway speeds. After 4 or 5 years, at any mileage point, you should change your tires. Do yourself and everyone else out there a favor and buy a new set of rubber for that thing. It will likely help out your ride quality as well.
Old 3/8/13 | 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JerryG2163
Ok I'm not looking to start anything, but why the hell are you still on the original tires? Are you nuts? Regardless of mileage, tire compound breaks down over time and falls apart. In fact it can be extremely dangerous at highway speeds. After 4 or 5 years, at any mileage point, you should change your tires. Do yourself and everyone else out there a favor and buy a new set of rubber for that thing. It will likely help out your ride quality as well.
I have to make a correction...

I was assuming that the Pirellis I have were rated at higher miles. I'm used to pickup truck tires that I've got up to 70k miles with. Now, that I look at the Perrelli site these tires are rated for 20k miles. So, at 35k miles on the car I am probably at the end of life of the second set. The tread is still fairly deep though. (I bought the car last summer). I don't drive it in the winter snow.

I didn't mention it, but I was considering new AM 2010GT500 rims with some new rubber. I just thought that I should try the suspention first and take things in steps.
Old 3/9/13 | 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JerryG2163
Lol calm down man he's just asking a question
Old 3/9/13 | 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The guy at discount tire told me 6 years for tire life. The adjustable shocks may be the way to go I'm not a big fan of the Tokico stuff then again you might like the Monroe's from sears ride. I might get slamed for that suggestion but I know they work pretty well. Konis are pretty awesome and highly recommended by a lot of folks.
You can get the date code off your tires to see when they were produced.
Old 3/9/13 | 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Do the tires have cracking in the sidewalls or dry rot?

Tokico's are OK, I've had them in the front since 4/08. They squeak a little in the winter but are fine in the summer. The rear Tokicos gave out on me last summer (started leaking oil) so I replaced them with Koni Yellow's. The Koni's ride better IMO
Old 3/9/13 | 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the Koni STR.T shocks & struts on my '06 GT 'vert along with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I'm pretty happy with the ride and handling
Old 3/9/13 | 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
The guy at discount tire told me 6 years for tire life. The adjustable shocks may be the way to go I'm not a big fan of the Tokico stuff then again you might like the Monroe's from sears ride. I might get slamed for that suggestion but I know they work pretty well. Konis are pretty awesome and highly recommended by a lot of folks.
You can get the date code off your tires to see when they were produced.
Those really are not bad at all. For inexpensive but comfortable, I like the kyb gtr shock. Pretty good too. I was a manager for Sears for years, I think I am contractually obligated to agree with you.
Old 3/9/13 | 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
Do the tires have cracking in the sidewalls or dry rot?

Tokico's are OK, I've had them in the front since 4/08. They squeak a little in the winter but are fine in the summer. The rear Tokicos gave out on me last summer (started leaking oil) so I replaced them with Koni Yellow's. The Koni's ride better IMO
No. They are look good on the my stang. But after inspecting my F150 tires, the treads aren't worn out but they are starting to dry rot as I've 6 years on them. I don't drive it as much as I used to. Sucks that tires still wear out even when not driven. So, Ill probably have to put tires on that beast too.

I went up to the local Lincoln dealer and test drove a 2012GT. That cars suspension was tight and not nearly as bouncy as my 05. I need to find out what shocks they put in them and put them in mine.

Last edited by DJ Moxie; 3/9/13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 3/9/13 | 02:30 PM

Those Koni STRs look like they would be an affordable ticket. I'll have to look around. Looks like they are out of stock on American Muscle.
Old 3/9/13 | 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
quite a few have used adjustable. i had mine lowered with the 07 shelby suspension pack at my dealer and the ride really improved. also i have 275's on all 4 during past 2 summers and they really improved the ride smoothness.
What brand do you like the best? I was looking at the Sumitimo (sp) but they seem to be fairly cheap. So, I'm guessing they probably are.
Old 3/9/13 | 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Those really are not bad at all. For inexpensive but comfortable, I like the kyb gtr shock. Pretty good too. I was a manager for Sears for years, I think I am contractually obligated to agree with you.

Is anyone replacing chamber plates when they do their shocks? how do you know you need them?

I'm not really concerned about lowering. However, should I consider a spring replacement as well?
Old 3/10/13 | 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DJ Moxie
What brand do you like the best? I was looking at the Sumitimo (sp) but they seem to be fairly cheap. So, I'm guessing they probably are.
I know they arent cheap but swear by my Nitto INVO 275/40ZR 18 (99W). These tires have been excellent rain or dry.

Last edited by 2005GTDELUXE; 3/10/13 at 05:59 PM.
Old 3/11/13 | 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Koni Yellow adjustables and I think even on the lowest setting they are more sport oriented.

I put a set of Tokico's with Steeda Sport springs on a friend's vert and it is dialable from "Cadillac" to sport. It will never be a good track day setup, but for long cruises and some spirited driving, it's a great amount of adjustment.

If I had to pick Koni for everyday I think the STR would be the way to go. It's not adjustable, but probably set for everday use.

As far as tires, bang for the buck is the Conti DW. Ride comfort, road noise, tire life, traction, etc. it's just the best for the money.
That said, I run Bridgestone RE-11 tires, which are a bit much for the street, but for the occassional track day they provide more high speed corner entry insurance. Road noise is a bit higher and definitely not a forgiving sidewall tire.
Old 3/11/13 | 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I have the Koni Yellow adjustables and I think even on the lowest setting they are more sport oriented.

I put a set of Tokico's with Steeda Sport springs on a friend's vert and it is dialable from "Cadillac" to sport. It will never be a good track day setup, but for long cruises and some spirited driving, it's a great amount of adjustment.

If I had to pick Koni for everyday I think the STR would be the way to go. It's not adjustable, but probably set for everday use.

As far as tires, bang for the buck is the Conti DW. Ride comfort, road noise, tire life, traction, etc. it's just the best for the money.
That said, I run Bridgestone RE-11 tires, which are a bit much for the street, but for the occassional track day they provide more high speed corner entry insurance. Road noise is a bit higher and definitely not a forgiving sidewall tire.
I'd say that's pretty spot on. The Tokicos definitely go softer, but when they are put on the sportier settings, they dont ride as well as the Koni Yellow's.

BTW, didn't you used to have a CDC aggressive chin spoiler? By the looks of your avatar it seems like you might have downgraded
Old 10/16/13 | 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice folks. After about 5 months with my setup, I am pretty satisfied. I went with the Tokico D Speck with SR Lowering springs with 18"x9" wheels with Sumitomo tires. I have the D Specs on full soft in the front and 2 cranks from full soft in the rear. Ride is tight and firm without being harsh on rougher roads. The Sumitomos are a little loud and maybe a harder tire. But, ya get what ya pay for. They were on the cheaper side.

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 10/16/13 | 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

A bit "over the top" there.

Tires do not suddenly become dangerous at a specified time period. Some tires are ready for replacement before then .... and many are perfectly safe and serviceable well past an arbitrary 5 years.

If something like a flat tire is likely to cause a driver to wreck, if the possibility of a blowout is so dangerous of a prospect as to be labeled "extremely dangerous", then I think there's a driver who is a bigger danger. Any driver should know that even with new tires sudden deflations (ie: "blowouts"), can happen without warning and any driver should know how to respond. You just let up and steer the car out of harms way, no sudden braking or steering inputs unless required by location, etc.

Tires age differently according to storage, load, speeds, inflation, abuse absorbed, and quality of construction. Some sales types do push a 5 year limit for all ..... because they want to sell tires.

In my experience of some good number of years it is my observation that the single thing that most affects the safety of a tire is a driver / owner who simply ignores the tire until it's flat one day. These are the folk who do not maintain proper inflation, who never look at a tire's sidewalls, who will add air only when it is nearly flat if they notice it and then not check it again until nearly flat again, and who will drive at high speeds with big loads (people or cargo) without airing up.
Old 10/16/13 | 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got 50k on my original Pirelli's. 5/32 tread depth yet. Definitely should have replaced this year but put off while eyeing a 14 or maybe wait for a 15 GT. Not winter driven so next spring for sure, unless I buy a new car.