Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100k What should I Service

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/13, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100k What should I Service

My '07 GT/CS is about to turn 100k it is in great shape and runs strong. I have only needed brakes and tires plus an alternator. I want to keep this car for another 100k so my question is what should I be doing from a service prospective? I do change the full synthetic oil every 5k. The only real mod is a CAI I know it will need plugs as they have not been changed out. Still getting about 26 mpg on the hiway and about 18 around town. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by pilatti1; 10/8/13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10/8/13, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
be sure to check all your tie rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings. also check your shocks for leaks/ jounce your car to be sure they are still working correctly. check your serpentine belt, stuff like that hoses etc etc. could always loosen your belt and wiggle your waterpump pulley to check if your water pump isn't wobbly. other than that you should be alright. could always change out diff and trans fluid if you haven't before.
Old 10/8/13, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Good stuff Kyle!
Old 10/8/13, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Good stuff Kyle!
thanks glenn. after you work as a tech for a few years you see some stuff that just doesn't get taken care of very well. its mostly stuff I could think of that usually needs replaced once mileage gets higher and things ive had to do to my own stuff. I actually had a ball joint break on me while I was going to community college. went to leave for lunch and snap...I was just starting the auto program with no prior knowledge about cars(didn't even know how to change oil, mostly because I never had family that worked on cars or anything). changed the ball joint in the parking lot in the snow with a another kid in my class. ive come a long ways since then, worked on charter buses for a couple years, dealership for almost a year and now a year at a small shop where its just me and the owner. everything ive learned and worked at has been motivated by my passion for mustangs! if I could find a shop that works mostly on mustangs I would move out of my tiny se iowa town in a heartbeat!
Old 10/8/13, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the great ideas. What kind of plugs should I look into? I do need rear shocks (not sure on what the front end needs yet) so what would be my best bet on those as well. I drive my car daily but spirited!
Old 10/8/13, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I would just use motorcraft plugs. As for shocks you could get good monroe shocks from a parts store or if you are interested in a decent set of aftermarket shocks I'm sure someone could help you out with that as I've never bought any
Old 10/9/13, 08:00 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
I would hope that every fluid has been flushed out. No one has mentioned the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The fuel filter should be a no-brainer too.
Old 10/9/13, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have the old style heads, I'm not sure exactly when they changed them, and have never changed the plugs I'd get an extraction tool and follow the TSB.
Old 10/12/13, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
If you have the old style heads, I'm not sure exactly when they changed them, and have never changed the plugs I'd get an extraction tool and follow the TSB.
+1. The new style heads didn't come out until '08. So you are going to have some real fun getting those plugs out. Follow the TSB and be careful, take your time. I did mine at 47k and that was a nail-biter. Don't forget to put high temp anti-seize on the new plugs.

What you want to do probably depends on how often everything's been service (like if you did everything in the 30, 60, 90k services). But here's a list of things to think about:

I would do for fluids
  • Brake fluid --Should be done every 2 years or so (if you have a manual, think about doing the clutch line too)
  • Anti-freeze (depends on when the last time it was serviced)
  • transmission fluid (should be done every 30k)
  • differential oil (smelly stuff --every 30K)
  • check power steering fluid (if it looks like mud, probably time to change)

Suspension:
  • Check you ball joints for play
  • Check tie rods (inner and outer)
  • Check shocks/struts for leaking oil and do the bounce test (start rocking the car from each corner and see how quick it settles out)
  • If you have any urethane bushings, check them for play or cracking
  • grease everything that has a zirc fitting (use full synthetic grease on urethane bushings)
  • I noticed by spring isolators (plastic seats) on the rear axle were cracked

Filters
  • fuel (every 30k)
  • cabin air
  • engine air filter

Last edited by Cavero; 10/12/13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10/12/13, 09:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I would hope that every fluid has been flushed out. No one has mentioned the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The fuel filter should be a no-brainer too.
This, when Ford means lubed for life they really mean lubed until the end of whatever factory warranty exists.
Old 10/14/13, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Some really helpful info here as always. Thanks
Old 10/18/13, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have your manual still there are service intervals for your mileage.