2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

$8000 Over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/04, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SirWindsor+October 26, 2004, 7:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SirWindsor @ October 26, 2004, 7:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Robert@October 26, 2004, 6:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SirWindsor
@October 26, 2004, 3:06 PM
I didn't know people were so touchy here. I'm not a dealer, nor a salesman, i consider myself an "educated" businessman.

Unfortunately, it's not just a question of economics - most of us get supply & demand. It's also a question of public relations and customer service.

At a time when Ford Motor Co. is hemorrhaging money, it's bad PR for dealers (the company's first line of customer service) to start gouging people on prices just because Ford FINALLY has a hit that people want to buy.

It sends out the wrong message at a critical time in an increasingly competitive global market.

How is someone going to feel in a few months when the novelty is wearing off...they see Mustangs on every streetcorner...they realize they got gouged...and their car is starting to have squeaks and rattles (something a new owner on these boards is already complaining about!).

How will they feel about what the dealer did to them then? :scratch:

Also, any dealership that would engage in these kinds of unethical practices probably will give you horrific aftersales service - it just stands to reason that they're more concerned with a quick sale than in retaining a happy repeat customer.

Ford needs to set higher standards for its dealerships.

I remember here in Vancouver when the G35 Coupes were in short supply - there was a line up for them, but dealers weren't charging more than MSRP for them...Infiniti probably would have pulled their franchises.

These kinds of dealerships - and we're getting a lot of reports of this here - are engaging in shortsighted long-term strategies that can only hurt Ford Motor Co. further. :notnice:

In the meantime, go elsewhere.
Sorry, I just disagree.
If you've ever been to a Toyota dealership, you should still have the bite marks on you.
If your product is superior, let your sales force be the evilest, spawn on the planet that produces numbers.

But the product quality is not the dealers concern per se, they get paid for warranty work either way as long as warranty work does not impede regular service.

they are not gouging prices because they "have a hit" they simply have greater demand than supply. The car is not widely known accept among Ford Loyalist, they haven't even started a serious marketing campaign for the mustang yet.

There will not be a public relations nightmare from a few hundred customers that paid over msrp. You didn't here anything about the scalping with the 350z or G35 coupe, and despite the rumors you heard i accompanied a friend to numerous Nissan dealers that wanted $10K over sticker for the new Z. Didn't affect sale one bit when supply met demand. Those that wanted the car then could afford to pay for it.

To say that all mustangs will start creaking and making noises and there will be a large public backlash (or even a significantly large population of said customers) of overpaying dissatisfied Mustang customer is a) a statisticly low population B) speculation.

there are no ethics in sales. just satisfied and dissatisfied customers. :shock:

the mustang will sell, fools will pay over MSRP, the loyal mustang owner will have to wait plain and simple. The interest in the new mustang has already been shown to be seven times the interest in the new F150 introduced last year.

if you are a mustang loyal, just don't buy it for that price and you wont create a false demand. The power of price is in the consumer anyway.
just relax, if you want to be the first on the block, you'll pay, plain and simple.[/b][/quote]
Well said! And WELCOME SIR WINDSOR!
Old 10/27/04, 12:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SirWindsor@October 26, 2004, 7:49 PM
they are not gouging prices because they "have a hit" they simply have greater demand than supply.

And the reason that they have greater demand than supply is because they have a hit.

You're missing the entire point of what I said.

If it's only mathematics you understand, let me put the PR/customer service equation into terms that make sense to you: Ford Motor Co. as a corporate entity is losing money and sales are down overall. When you've been producing inferior quality products (at least that's the perception...whether or not it's true is the subject for another discussion) you must not only improve the products, but offer a buying EXPERIENCE second to none.

Successful import manufacturers may be able to get away more easily with price gouging - but Ford is trying to improve their image (witness the new ad campaigns if you doubt this). What's happening at many, many dealerships collectively hurts that image.

End of disussion.
Old 10/27/04, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@October 26, 2004, 2:23 PM
I don't understand how this is even legal? I know the cops down here were arresting people that were price gouging after Hurricane Ivan.
it's called supply and demand. i won't buy it, but somebody probably will and as long as there is someone out there who is willing to pay it, there will be a dealer that is going to charge it.
Old 10/27/04, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SirWindsor+October 26, 2004, 7:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SirWindsor @ October 26, 2004, 7:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Robert@October 26, 2004, 6:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SirWindsor
@October 26, 2004, 3:06 PM
I didn't know people were so touchy here. I'm not a dealer, nor a salesman, i consider myself an "educated" businessman.

Unfortunately, it's not just a question of economics - most of us get supply & demand. It's also a question of public relations and customer service.

At a time when Ford Motor Co. is hemorrhaging money, it's bad PR for dealers (the company's first line of customer service) to start gouging people on prices just because Ford FINALLY has a hit that people want to buy.

It sends out the wrong message at a critical time in an increasingly competitive global market.

How is someone going to feel in a few months when the novelty is wearing off...they see Mustangs on every streetcorner...they realize they got gouged...and their car is starting to have squeaks and rattles (something a new owner on these boards is already complaining about!).

How will they feel about what the dealer did to them then? :scratch:

Also, any dealership that would engage in these kinds of unethical practices probably will give you horrific aftersales service - it just stands to reason that they're more concerned with a quick sale than in retaining a happy repeat customer.

Ford needs to set higher standards for its dealerships.

I remember here in Vancouver when the G35 Coupes were in short supply - there was a line up for them, but dealers weren't charging more than MSRP for them...Infiniti probably would have pulled their franchises.

These kinds of dealerships - and we're getting a lot of reports of this here - are engaging in shortsighted long-term strategies that can only hurt Ford Motor Co. further. :notnice:

In the meantime, go elsewhere.
Sorry, I just disagree.
If you've ever been to a Toyota dealership, you should still have the bite marks on you.
If your product is superior, let your sales force be the evilest, spawn on the planet that produces numbers.

But the product quality is not the dealers concern per se, they get paid for warranty work either way as long as warranty work does not impede regular service.

they are not gouging prices because they "have a hit" they simply have greater demand than supply. The car is not widely known accept among Ford Loyalist, they haven't even started a serious marketing campaign for the mustang yet.

There will not be a public relations nightmare from a few hundred customers that paid over msrp. You didn't here anything about the scalping with the 350z or G35 coupe, and despite the rumors you heard i accompanied a friend to numerous Nissan dealers that wanted $10K over sticker for the new Z. Didn't affect sale one bit when supply met demand. Those that wanted the car then could afford to pay for it.

To say that all mustangs will start creaking and making noises and there will be a large public backlash (or even a significantly large population of said customers) of overpaying dissatisfied Mustang customer is a) a statisticly low population B) speculation.

there are no ethics in sales. just satisfied and dissatisfied customers. :shock:

the mustang will sell, fools will pay over MSRP, the loyal mustang owner will have to wait plain and simple. The interest in the new mustang has already been shown to be seven times the interest in the new F150 introduced last year.

if you are a mustang loyal, just don't buy it for that price and you wont create a false demand. The power of price is in the consumer anyway.
just relax, if you want to be the first on the block, you'll pay, plain and simple. [/b][/quote]
People were female ******* about the 350z and G35 Coupe being overpriced as well. Those cars however are produced in much smaller numbers. I don't see any problem with a dealer asking MSRP but not anymore then that. History has shown that exceeding MSRP has been a bad PR move for those offenders.
Old 10/27/04, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Don't forget that strictly speaking, Ford does not sell their cars to us - they sell them to the dealers. Once the dealers take them, Ford has made their money.

With the popularity of the Mustang, I am sure Ford is not currently offering any sweet deals to dealers in order to move inventory. So price dips will take a while. Ford knows they can move every one they build at a good price.

As for the dealers? Their pricing is a separate element entirely. Like other high-dollar items in our economy (housing, etc.) welcome to the world of negotiation.

Don't like the deal? No problem, just don't buy it. Nothing to get upset about. Someone else wills ell you one at the right price. Give it a few more months to shake out.
Old 10/27/04, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Anyone who pays MSRP or higher for this vehicle should have their head examed. Wait for the supply to catch up and you'll see those prices drop a great deal. But like the saying says.......a fool and his money are soon parted.