2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

4.6 3V tick tick tick sound

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/14, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Solved!! Best tool I have is a long *** flathead screwdriver. I checked everything. Changed my oil. I looked all over the net. I was really starting to think it was a bad cam follower. Nope. I used the long flathead and stethascoped the cylinders and the one on the driver side front was by far the loudest. So I pulled the plug and noticed it was REALLY loose. Oops. That's right! Loose plug. I feel like a dummy BUT if this helps at least one person it was worth it. Thanks for the help peoples!
Old 6/11/14, 07:35 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by DPHC13
Solved!! Best tool I have is a long *** flathead screwdriver. I checked everything. Changed my oil. I looked all over the net. I was really starting to think it was a bad cam follower. Nope. I used the long flathead and stethascoped the cylinders and the one on the driver side front was by far the loudest. So I pulled the plug and noticed it was REALLY loose. Oops. That's right! Loose plug. I feel like a dummy BUT if this helps at least one person it was worth it. Thanks for the help peoples!
Love those old 'hands on' tricks. Vs today's "where's my SCT/iPhone/tablet..."
Old 6/11/14, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never would have guessed spark plug. Nice work!
Old 6/11/14, 08:16 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Austin Schroeger
I never would have guessed spark plug. Nice work!
I remember reading about it as somewhat common on the 2V (Mustang & F150), but not very often on the 3V...
Old 6/13/14, 05:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DPHC13
awesome! but now I got a couple questions:
1) 08 was the year they revised the heads mid year- does yours have the extended tip or newer 'normal' plugs?
2) were the plugs ever changed?

glad you found it- more glad that you checked/found before the threads blew - hopefully this isnt a common failure mode- but with the issues Ford had with the blow-out 5.4 truck plugs and then the break-off early 3V plugs, it wouldnt surprise me
Old 6/14/14, 04:06 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by ford4v429
1) 08 was the year they revised the heads mid year- does yours have the extended tip or newer 'normal' plugs?

glad you found it- more glad that you checked/found before the threads blew - hopefully this isnt a common failure mode- but with the issues Ford had with the blow-out 5.4 truck plugs and then the break-off early 3V plugs, it wouldnt surprise me
The new heads rolled out Dec 2007. Brown plug boots.
Old 6/14/14, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429

My car is an 08 but it's an early build so I have the old head design. I have changed the plugs 3 times. I believe this happend because about 4 months ago I removed the plugs to clean and check them. I do ever want to CRANK them down tight I'm afraid they will snap off in the head. So this was my dumb mistake. Just needed a couple more ft pounds on that bad boy. They sell a "new" style plug that is less likely to snap off buy they cost a little more than the standard plugs and I didn't feel like spending the cash on them. I have this car apart so much it wasn't worth the money to me.