2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

4.6 3V tick tick tick sound

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/14, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4.6 3V tick tick tick sound

Hello all. I have searched all over the net and can't find any real answer to this problem. So my 2008 mustang GT 5-speed has developed a tick sound. The sound is directly related to the RPM's as it gets faster and slower with the throttle. It's NOT a knocking sound. It sounds like an electronic lighter. Like most electric ignitions on stovetops. I'm gonna try and get a video of it up when I get home. Thanks.
Old 6/5/14, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPHC13
Hello all. I have searched all over the net and can't find any real answer to this problem. So my 2008 mustang GT 5-speed has developed a tick sound. The sound is directly related to the RPM's as it gets faster and slower with the throttle. It's NOT a knocking sound. It sounds like an electronic lighter. Like most electric ignitions on stovetops. I'm gonna try and get a video of it up when I get home. Thanks.
. Your tick is normal, i own a 2005 and 2009 GTs. The ticking is the fuel injectors. If your injectors are not ticking then they are not working, no fuel. Equals no running engine.
Old 6/5/14, 09:55 PM

. Your fuel injectors. This is normal.
Old 6/5/14, 09:58 PM

The ticking is normal. Its the fuel injectors. All of them do this. I have a 2005 and 2009 GTs and both do this tick. Dont worry about it.
Old 6/5/14, 11:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
I owned my previous 2005 GT for over 8 years and never noticed any type of ticking sounds whatsoever..

I now own a 2006 GT which I've had for almost a year now and have not noticed any ticking sounds either.. My current 06 GT also has a Saleen S/C !
Old 6/5/14, 11:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak...
Old 6/6/14, 04:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Could be an exhaust leak...
+1, if you can hear it away from the vehicle with the hood closed, I'd vote on the exhaust leak.
Old 6/6/14, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the wall on a rocker collapse, I know they're called something else on our engines, and it was making a ticking sound. The roller had seized up and was grinding the cam lobe down. However as most have said it could just be your injectors, but in my case it wasn't.
Old 6/6/14, 09:04 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I owned my previous 2005 GT for over 8 years and never noticed any type of ticking sounds whatsoever..

I now own a 2006 GT which I've had for almost a year now and have not noticed any ticking sounds either.. My current 06 GT also has a Saleen S/C !

BS!

They tick like a mother.

Must be your hearing going on ya :P

But seriously yes the ticking is normal under the hood.
I can even hear mine when it's closed, but moreso when its open.
Old 6/6/14, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
BS!

They tick like a mother.

Old 6/6/14, 02:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
hopefully its just injectors- but if its louder in one area...hmm...

just in case it *might* be a 'roller finger follower' busted a roller (only heard of two of them) might suggest a oil change, carefully cut the oil filter open, look for metal shavings- if theres a lot of glitter or worse, better get the wallet out. MTAS in here had one break and the hammering busted the head too- ouch.

heard of cam phasers failing kinda frequently, but its pretty loud from what ive heard on youtube videos- more than what most folks would call ticking.
Old 6/6/14, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the replies. I've had my mustang for 4 years and I know the normal Ticking from the injectors but this is louder. Much louder. I can hear it loud and clear at a stop light. Im gonna pull the covers off and see if anything looks bad. I like the idea of cutting open the oil filter.... I just did an oil change today. Thought maybe a little 5W30 might shut it up but nothing changed. I pulled the wires off the injectors one at a time to see if any sounds changed but it all sound the same.
Old 6/6/14, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've had my mustang for 4 years and I know the normal Ticking from the injectors but this is louder. Much louder. I can hear it loud and clear at a stop light. Im gonna pull the covers off and see if anything looks bad. I like the idea of cutting open the oil filter.... I just did an oil change today. Thought maybe a little 5W30 might shut it up but nothing changed. I pulled the wires off the injectors one at a time to see if any sounds changed but it all sound the same.
Check the manifolds...I had a stock one crack at a weld on my '00 V6. It's very common on the SN95 V6s, but it's possible it happened to your 3v too...
Old 6/7/14, 04:29 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by ford4v429
hopefully its just injectors- but if its louder in one area...hmm...

just in case it *might* be a 'roller finger follower' busted a roller (only heard of two of them) might suggest a oil change, carefully cut the oil filter open, look for metal shavings- if theres a lot of glitter or worse, better get the wallet out. MTAS in here had one break and the hammering busted the head too- ouch.

heard of cam phasers failing kinda frequently, but its pretty loud from what ive heard on youtube videos- more than what most folks would call ticking.
Right. There's a few threads on it where they found massive filings and worn cam lobes. IIRC, a roller failed like you said which caused many filings which pumped into the cam phasers and scored the cam lobes and bore. New heads and cams complete (and pray the bottom end and oil pump did't get damaged or the oil circuit plugged). Worst case scenario though...

Some also have had chain tensioners wear causing tick from slack in the timing chain.

As you know, all OHC's have that nice clickety clack and whir sound up top - esp with the 3V having 24 working away.

But the OP makes it sound like this is different from what he has been hearing before and definitely louder than before.

Certainly worth draining the oil and inspecting. Also to pull the cam covers next. Perhaps you can isolate which side is making the tick. The old method of a long screwdriver or rod against the cam cover and against your ear (unless you have a stethoscope). Inspect those rollers. They could have been made better. Too bad those Jesel followers with roller bearings are priced out the wazzou!

Good luck!

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/7/14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 05:16 PM

could be cam phasers, or there are small screens between the block and the chain tensioners, they can get plugged, which cuts the oil pressure to the tensioners, relaxing the chain which will make a lot noise.
Old 6/9/14, 04:07 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by GrammarGates
could be cam phasers, or there are small screens between the block and the chain tensioners, they can get plugged, which cuts the oil pressure to the tensioners, relaxing the chain which will make a lot noise.
never had mine apart, but *thought* the chain tensioners had a ratchet device so they can only advance- to prevent slack after car sits a while?
Old 6/9/14, 02:50 PM

Here is a video of mine. Its the injectors. I put a mechanics stethoscope on the fuel rail. Definitely injectors for me. Your issue may vary

Old 6/9/14, 02:53 PM

For reference, here is a video Roush Performance sent me of their 5.0. Verified injectors.

Old 6/9/14, 03:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

mine ( both the 06 and the 09 ) sound like the roush video- kinda a even clattering sound, similar to a old solid lifter cam, about same on both banks... the first video it seemed a lot louder on one, on the passenger side...guess injectors dont necessarily all tick the same

anyone know if its safe to unplug one at a time? I assume they are open collector transistor switched, but unsure
Old 6/10/14, 03:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
BS!

They tick like a mother.

You just read my thoughts Pete lol.

As my hearing is more than likely going from all the years of drone and just haven't noticed the injectors ticking

Quick Reply: 4.6 3V tick tick tick sound