2007 Mustang GT whine noise - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

2007 Mustang GT whine noise

Reply

 
 
 
Old 3/12/18, 09:50 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation 2007 Mustang GT whine noise

Hello, im new to this site but decided to give it a try and see if I can solve a problem I’m having with my mustang. I have a automatic 2007 mustang GT with around 120k miles on it. I’ve had it for about half a year now and I’m noticing a whine noise coming from the engine or rear diff, can’t tell. It only happens under small load, around 10-15 miles per hour or going into 2nd. Dealership found nothing wrong but recommend me getting a whole new tranny. Another friend told me it was gear noise from the rear diff. I cant figure out what it is and I want to know if it can be something else before I spend money on fixing either one of these. I hope you guys can help. Thanks

Last edited by Alex-s197; 3/12/18 at 09:51 PM.
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 11:03 AM
  #2  
Cobra R Member
 
Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 25, 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,621
Thanked 93 Times in 88 Posts
Other than the noise, is there any other noticeable problem? if not then you can probably wait until some problem arises that needs to be fixed.

These cars can be pretty whiney. It might mean something is about to break; or it might be "normal" differential whine. The rear end can go on whining for years and never actually fail in any big way. Your description sounds more like transmission than differential though, usually rear end (differential) whine does not depend on what gear you are in . . . but it's very hard to say from here what might be going on.

Last edited by Bert; 3/14/18 at 06:25 AM.
Bert is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bert For This Useful Post:
Alex-s197 (3/13/18)
Old 3/13/18, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I forgot to mention but when it does whine in 1 and 2nd gear it sort of “jolts” either back or forward. Not much but noticeable and only in those gears.It also whines when coming to a stop, on deceleration. Could it be the transmission failing or could it be low on fluid? The only reason that I haven’t Checked the fluid yet is because it has a sealed system and I don’t really know how to do it.

Last edited by Alex-s197; 3/13/18 at 11:44 AM.
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 11:22 AM
  #4  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2015
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Stock driveshaft?
07 Boss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 11:23 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as I know yes, everything is stock on the car
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 02:04 PM
  #6  
Cobra R Member
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,961
Thanked 134 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex-s197 View Post
I forgot to mention but when it does whine in 1 and 2nd gear it sort of ďjoltsĒ either back or forward. Not much but noticeable and only in those gears.It also whines when coming to a stop, on deceleration. Could it be the transmission failing or could it be low on fluid? The only reason that I havenít Checked the fluid yet is because it has a sealed system and I donít really know how to do it.
If you haven't, or don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, that may be a good place to start. If that's not it you're not out a lot of money, and can move on to something else. Like Bert said these things seem to love whining (kinda like a woman). Mine has one that comes, and goes when the engine slows down. I also has an elusive problem I can't put my finger on. So again as Bert (a wise old sage) said, I'll wait until it breaks. Then I'll know what is wrong.
wanted33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 02:25 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wanted33 View Post
If you haven't, or don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, that may be a good place to start. If that's not it you're not out a lot of money, and can move on to something else. Like Bert said these things seem to love whining (kinda like a woman). Mine has one that comes, and goes when the engine slows down. I also has an elusive problem I can't put my finger on. So again as Bert (a wise old sage) said, I'll wait until it breaks. Then I'll know what is wrong.
okay Iíll start with the transmission fluid, is there any tips you guys can give me if youíve done it before? Iíll try to update if it fixes the problem or not.
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex-s197 For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (3/13/18)
Old 3/13/18, 02:54 PM
  #8  
Cobra R Member
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,961
Thanked 134 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex-s197 View Post


okay Iíll start with the transmission fluid, is there any tips you guys can give me if youíve done it before? Iíll try to update if it fixes the problem or not.
Do keep us updated Alex. Welcome to the forum, and good luck.


This is what I did when I bought my '06 with 90K miles. I changed the belt, cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor, changed the fuel filter (I don't think that thing had ever been replaced), changed the tranny fluid (manual), and replaced the plugs. It also needed brakes so I did that.
wanted33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 02:57 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Other than the noise, is there any other noticeable problem? if not then you can probably wait until some problem arises that needs to be fixed.

These cars can be pretty whiney. It might mean something is about to break; or it might be "normal" differential whine. The rear end can go on whining for years and never actually fail in any big way. Your description sounds more like transmission than differential though, usually rear end (diffeerential) whine does not depend on what gear you are in . . . but it's very hard to say from here what might be going on.
theres a bit of a jolt when changing from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd. Itís not all the time just sometimes.
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/14/18, 09:02 AM
  #10  
Bullitt Member
 
woody24's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 27, 2008
Location: America
Posts: 395
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my '06 when it had around 115k.

How long has this noise been happening? It took about a week from the time I noticed the sound to the point of it almost failing on me.

Under light cruising, there was no difference in how it drove/shifted. But, if I was more aggressive, the revs would redline, and wouldn't shift.

Transmission was eventually rebuilt completely as they kept having to dig deeper and deeper to find the problem. They eventually told me some part was about ready to "explode" and they were surprised by how worn it was, that it hadn't already.

So be careful when getting on it. Make sure you pay attention to the tach if things seem to be winding even higher.
woody24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/14/18, 10:56 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woody24 View Post
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my '06 when it had around 115k.

How long has this noise been happening? It took about a week from the time I noticed the sound to the point of it almost failing on me.

Under light cruising, there was no difference in how it drove/shifted. But, if I was more aggressive, the revs would redline, and wouldn't shift.

Transmission was eventually rebuilt completely as they kept having to dig deeper and deeper to find the problem. They eventually told me some part was about ready to "explode" and they were surprised by how worn it was, that it hadn't already.

So be careful when getting on it. Make sure you pay attention to the tach if things seem to be winding even higher.
The noise has been there faintly ever since I got it but never noticed it could be a problem untill later. Like I said, it kind of jolts when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd but the higher shifts are smooth and thereís no problem with them. It only jolts sometimes but not all the time. It also seems to jolt when in park and putting it in reverse or reverse to drive, again only sometimes. Itís been over 6 months since I got it and itís been consistent, no better no worse.
Alex-s197 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/14/18, 02:38 PM
  #12  
Cobra R Member
 
Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 25, 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,621
Thanked 93 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex-s197 View Post


theres a bit of a jolt when changing from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd. Itís not all the time just sometimes.
hmmm, that does sound like it might really have something to whine about, unlike our wives ;-)

seems like the later replies are on the right track
Bert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3/15/18, 12:40 PM
  #13  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2015
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Check your driveshaft carrier bearing. These driveshafts are notoriously clunky and a worn bearing might whine.
07 Boss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stangchief
Ecoboost
4
11/15/16 12:20 PM
Fert Mosstank
Warranty and Service Issue
11
4/6/15 09:12 AM
ZackeryJc
Warranty and Service Issue
14
1/25/12 04:00 PM
metroplex
2005-2009 Mustang
1
4/19/07 08:25 AM
Daniel1981
2005-2009 Mustang
1
6/17/05 03:13 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors