2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Mustang GT whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/18, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2007 Mustang GT whine noise

Hello, im new to this site but decided to give it a try and see if I can solve a problem I’m having with my mustang. I have a automatic 2007 mustang GT with around 120k miles on it. I’ve had it for about half a year now and I’m noticing a whine noise coming from the engine or rear diff, can’t tell. It only happens under small load, around 10-15 miles per hour or going into 2nd. Dealership found nothing wrong but recommend me getting a whole new tranny. Another friend told me it was gear noise from the rear diff. I cant figure out what it is and I want to know if it can be something else before I spend money on fixing either one of these. I hope you guys can help. Thanks

Last edited by Alex-s197; 3/12/18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 3/13/18, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Other than the noise, is there any other noticeable problem? if not then you can probably wait until some problem arises that needs to be fixed.

These cars can be pretty whiney. It might mean something is about to break; or it might be "normal" differential whine. The rear end can go on whining for years and never actually fail in any big way. Your description sounds more like transmission than differential though, usually rear end (differential) whine does not depend on what gear you are in . . . but it's very hard to say from here what might be going on.

Last edited by Bert; 3/14/18 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alex-s197 (3/13/18)
Old 3/13/18, 11:09 AM

I forgot to mention but when it does whine in 1 and 2nd gear it sort of “jolts” either back or forward. Not much but noticeable and only in those gears.It also whines when coming to a stop, on deceleration. Could it be the transmission failing or could it be low on fluid? The only reason that I haven’t Checked the fluid yet is because it has a sealed system and I don’t really know how to do it.

Last edited by Alex-s197; 3/13/18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 3/13/18, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Stock driveshaft?
Old 3/13/18, 11:23 AM

As far as I know yes, everything is stock on the car
Old 3/13/18, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex-s197
I forgot to mention but when it does whine in 1 and 2nd gear it sort of “jolts” either back or forward. Not much but noticeable and only in those gears.It also whines when coming to a stop, on deceleration. Could it be the transmission failing or could it be low on fluid? The only reason that I haven’t Checked the fluid yet is because it has a sealed system and I don’t really know how to do it.
If you haven't, or don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, that may be a good place to start. If that's not it you're not out a lot of money, and can move on to something else. Like Bert said these things seem to love whining (kinda like a woman). Mine has one that comes, and goes when the engine slows down. I also has an elusive problem I can't put my finger on. So again as Bert (a wise old sage) said, I'll wait until it breaks. Then I'll know what is wrong.
Old 3/13/18, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
If you haven't, or don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, that may be a good place to start. If that's not it you're not out a lot of money, and can move on to something else. Like Bert said these things seem to love whining (kinda like a woman). Mine has one that comes, and goes when the engine slows down. I also has an elusive problem I can't put my finger on. So again as Bert (a wise old sage) said, I'll wait until it breaks. Then I'll know what is wrong.
okay I’ll start with the transmission fluid, is there any tips you guys can give me if you’ve done it before? I’ll try to update if it fixes the problem or not.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (3/13/18)
Old 3/13/18, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts

okay I’ll start with the transmission fluid, is there any tips you guys can give me if you’ve done it before? I’ll try to update if it fixes the problem or not.
Do keep us updated Alex. Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

This is what I did when I bought my '06 with 90K miles. I changed the belt, cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor, changed the fuel filter (I don't think that thing had ever been replaced), changed the tranny fluid (manual), and replaced the plugs. It also needed brakes so I did that.
Old 3/13/18, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
Other than the noise, is there any other noticeable problem? if not then you can probably wait until some problem arises that needs to be fixed.

These cars can be pretty whiney. It might mean something is about to break; or it might be "normal" differential whine. The rear end can go on whining for years and never actually fail in any big way. Your description sounds more like transmission than differential though, usually rear end (diffeerential) whine does not depend on what gear you are in . . . but it's very hard to say from here what might be going on.
theres a bit of a jolt when changing from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd. It’s not all the time just sometimes.
Old 3/14/18, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my '06 when it had around 115k.

How long has this noise been happening? It took about a week from the time I noticed the sound to the point of it almost failing on me.

Under light cruising, there was no difference in how it drove/shifted. But, if I was more aggressive, the revs would redline, and wouldn't shift.

Transmission was eventually rebuilt completely as they kept having to dig deeper and deeper to find the problem. They eventually told me some part was about ready to "explode" and they were surprised by how worn it was, that it hadn't already.

So be careful when getting on it. Make sure you pay attention to the tach if things seem to be winding even higher.
Old 3/14/18, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by woody24
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my '06 when it had around 115k.

How long has this noise been happening? It took about a week from the time I noticed the sound to the point of it almost failing on me.

Under light cruising, there was no difference in how it drove/shifted. But, if I was more aggressive, the revs would redline, and wouldn't shift.

Transmission was eventually rebuilt completely as they kept having to dig deeper and deeper to find the problem. They eventually told me some part was about ready to "explode" and they were surprised by how worn it was, that it hadn't already.

So be careful when getting on it. Make sure you pay attention to the tach if things seem to be winding even higher.
The noise has been there faintly ever since I got it but never noticed it could be a problem untill later. Like I said, it kind of jolts when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd but the higher shifts are smooth and there’s no problem with them. It only jolts sometimes but not all the time. It also seems to jolt when in park and putting it in reverse or reverse to drive, again only sometimes. It’s been over 6 months since I got it and it’s been consistent, no better no worse.
Old 3/14/18, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts

theres a bit of a jolt when changing from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd. It’s not all the time just sometimes.
hmmm, that does sound like it might really have something to whine about, unlike our wives ;-)

seems like the later replies are on the right track
Old 3/15/18, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Check your driveshaft carrier bearing. These driveshafts are notoriously clunky and a worn bearing might whine.