2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 mustang v6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/21, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 mustang v6 won't start

so this has been going on for over a week now and I can't figure out what's going on. It first happened one night after work where I couldn't get the car to start. it would crank but not start. I left it for a while came back and it started up after a hard start. I drove it home and drove it to work the next day. that night it did the same thing, it would only crank and not start. A couple of times I got it to start but once it clicked into idle it would die like it was running out of gas. I kind of went about this all backwards and replaced the fuel pump. Nothing changed. I learned about the fuel pump sending unit and replaced that as well. Still no change. I got a code reader and it gave me the p0191 code, so I changed the fuel rail pressure sensor. Nothing changed. I have noticed that if I hold the fuel inertia switch the car will run like normal, until I let off of it and then after a few minutes it idles out and dies. I decided to try and drive it home while holding the inertia switch, I got 5 miles down the road and it died and I couldn't get it to start again. the inertia switch stopped helping so I figured I broke that completely. So I replaced the fuel inertia switch. still nothing. I also replaced the Maf sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump driver module, and the alternator. Still cranks but won't start. and if it does start it just idles then shuts off. I checked for spark today and realized all my plugs were wore out and looked as if they were running a little rich. All got replaced. Nothing changed. Im at a loss right now. I have started checking voltages and trying to do voltage drops but im still learning about that stuff and not sure im doing it all correctly so I don't know how accurate I have been with my readings. I have read that plugged cat converters could be causing this issue but couldn't get them off to check. I took the upstream o2 sensors off and tried running it that way but couldn't get it to start. that's everything that has been done so far.... im not sure what else to do other than taking it in. which I should have done in the first place but im stubborn and thought I could figure it out.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 7/14/21, 09:49 AM

Try getting the catalytic converters off .

My 2005 V6 died on me while driving on the highway. Coasted it off the highway tried to start but has soon as you would start it was ruff idling go to give it more gas in park and would just shut off. Had it towed to a friend's house .Friend and my husband after try numerous things to no avail they removed the catalytic converters and they were totally blocked Try taking the plugs off on the side of converters if it starts with them off then you know the converters are blocked . So try getting your converters off most likely that's your problem.
Old 7/15/21, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy.

This is going to take a proper diagnostic. You've shot a parts cannon at it, now it's time to either get the tools and knowhow or take it to someone who has those. The scan tool will tell the tale, throwing more parts and time at it without doing the proper diagnostic is just going to cost you more than you've thrown at it. Which is seems you've come to a conclusion about, but aren't willing to do...? :shrug: Not the answer you want, but I fear it's the answer you need on this.

One thing: The plugs showed rich condition to you, so perhaps the fuel injectors are mad about something. Swapping the plugs won't fix a rich condition. Also it's interesting the inertia switch kept it running for a bit... all that will be revealed with the scan tool diagnostics.

Good luck to you!
Old 2/23/23, 07:14 AM

Mine has this issue

Did you ever figure out the issue?