1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Mustang won't start

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/11, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang won't start

I need some help again, since last Thursday my mustang has been taking longer to start. And today when I had my dad check it out it wouldn't even start up, even tho I had taken it out for a spin prior to him getting home. My check engine light has been on for a month tomorrow, but has been on and off since maybe June, and i had the CEL checked and i forgot what the code was when i had it checked out, but my mechanic told me that with the code its throwing it shouldn't even start up and seeing how it was running without any problems he said it wasn't anything to worry about. He said it could just be the Alternator sending the wrong current. My dad and myself both know it's not the battery causing the Mustang to start up. Any ideas?
Old 9/6/11, 11:36 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the battery tested. It don't hurt to recheck. Jump the car and see what voltage the alternator is putting out.
Old 9/6/11, 12:05 PM

We just pop started it because it's a manual and the needle for the Battery volt gauge was in the normal spot it's always in it was between the r and m in normal.
Old 9/6/11, 12:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by 95Schill-Berry
We just pop started it because it's a manual and the needle for the Battery volt gauge was in the normal spot it's always in it was between the r and m in normal.
Well then. It's a bad battery. Bad conection. Or you have a parasitic draw.
Old 9/6/11, 12:11 PM

What's a parasitic draw? and my dad is thinking it could be that the alternator has been sending the wrong current and its finally just died.
Old 9/6/11, 12:20 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

What's a parasitic draw? and my dad is thinking it could be that the alternator has been sending the wrong current and its finally just died.
Parasitic draw is something that is staying on and killing the battery. Like a relay it a light or even the radio. And as long as the alternator is putting out around 14 volts it should be fine.
Old 9/6/11, 12:27 PM

I see, when we try to start the car, the radio turns on, all my dashboard lights turn on but the car doesn't turn over or make any noises, but when we pop started the car my dad turned the key like he was trying to start it back up ( while it was still running ) to see if it would make the awful noise it usually makes.

But back to the topic of parasitic draw, my radio shuts off as soon as the car shuts off, my clock also shuts off as soon as the car does, nothing electrical works when the key isnt turned to standy or turned enough 2 start the car.
Old 9/6/11, 12:32 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I have a feeling you brushes in the starter are out. Hit the starter with a Janet and then try and start it.
Old 9/6/11, 12:35 PM

do you mean a hammer? and my dad remembers that the code for the CEL had to do with the Camshaft position censor.
Old 9/6/11, 12:36 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

do you mean a hammer? and my dad remembers that the code for the CEL had to do with the Camshaft position censor.
Yes. Stupid auto correct. Should still crank even with the sensor malfunctioning.
Old 9/6/11, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam sensor is common problem on 3.8s. Its a two piece part. That could be the problem. But with the starting issue it is either battery, cables, or bad starter. Turn lights on with car off and see how bright they are. If you think its the alternator get the car running at idle and disconnect battery. If alternator is bad the car will die. If you were able to push start the car and get it going and it continues to run it isnt the alternator so you are back to battery, cables, or starter
Old 9/6/11, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
get a voltage tester and test your battery both with and without the car running or get it running and take it to auto zone and have them test it.
Old 9/16/11, 08:20 PM

The problem was the starter, and after having the starter replaced my CEL also went off. hopefully it stays off this time. Thanks for the help
Old 9/16/11, 08:28 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

The problem was the starter, and after having the starter replaced my CEL also went off. hopefully it stays off this time. Thanks for the help
Glad to hear its fixed. Stick around and enjoy the forum
Old 9/16/11, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Glad to hear its fixed. Stick around and enjoy the forum
I plan on it, and sorry it took me so long to respond with a simple thank you, got caught up in life and just finally had time to sit in front of my laptop and respond. Hoping this is the last problem till January 31st.
Old 9/16/11, 08:58 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Don't forget they have an Android and iPhone app! keep your foot out of it and you should be fine
Old 9/16/11, 09:00 PM

much easier said then done, i love driving that car going to miss it when im away for boot camp and ait tho.
Old 12/27/12, 04:49 PM

I hope someone can help me, my 2001 mustang v6 cranks but won't start. I changed the spark plugs, I checked the shrader valve and it has fuel coming out, the fuel pump relay was not tripped and the fuse is good. It started with the engine running rough at idle and then when I gave it fuel ran for about 50 yards then died on the side of the road. Now it won;t start can you help me?
Old 12/28/12, 04:51 AM

Check your timing. Mine had same problem it jumped time n when it did it messed up my crank sensor. Your motor does so many rotations to get ur crank to line up its sensor with a certain spot on the crank. But best bet have a shop hook up to it using their obd2 system n it'll throw codes to tell u what's wrong n then again u might just have to trouble shoot like I did
Old 12/28/12, 09:41 AM

If the timing was off wouldn't I get some type of miss fire?

Quick Reply: Mustang won't start