2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

06 GT Rattle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/14, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 GT Rattle Noise

I need some major advice from you guys. My 06 just recently started making this ridiculously loud and annoying rattling noise behind my dash area. Seems like it's coming from behind my radio. It's not the common dash pillar noise hitting the windshield, I already fixed that one lol I recently had cams installed, would that have anything to do with it maybe? I just need a fix before I start punching my dash. Thanks guys!
Old 2/27/14, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Who installed the cams. Maybe they left something not completely tight under the hood near the fire wall.
Old 2/27/14, 01:19 PM

Well the cams were installed in October I just never really drove the car much till now. How would I go about looking for any lose items?
Old 2/27/14, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the CAMS were installed in October I just never really drove the car much till now. How would I go about looking for any lose items?
dude!
You got CAMS, you're gonna get some new rattles, drive it like you stole it. Things will settle down, plus it's cold out this time of year. That plastic does funny thing with contraction / expansion.

When I installed cams the inside cabin noise went up a notch.
I'm sure if they were installed incorrectly you'd have much more wrong than a few rattles.
Also there's not much that's touched near the firewall during install.

You may have to pull the radio and check on previous mention repairs.
Old 2/27/14, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
This sounds more like it's an actuator for the air conditioner doors.

Since it's behind the radio, it's likely the blend door, which is accessed from the right side of the console. A common enough problem. There are four actuators for the car. You'll need to figure out where it is.

There is one actuator on the left side of the HVAC plenum, behind the instrument panel, sorta near the left center vent. You would need to remove the instrument cluster to get to that one. This is the panel/floor door actuator.

Two are located near each other on the right side of that plenum One is the panel/defrost door actuator and is higher up than the other, which is the temperature blend door actuator, the lower of the two.

The last one is the fresh/inside air door actuator, which is located at the bottom right of the entire HVAC assembly.

The temp blend door is a different actuator than the other three. All take one connector and two 8mm (I think) screws that hold 'em all in.

If that's it, then it's a rather simple fix, hardest part is the screws. Good luck to ya.
Old 3/9/14, 02:28 PM

Rattle

Have you checked where the interior A pillar molding touches the top of the dash? I have had this issue on two 2005's and it was this area causing very loud rattle. A small piece of felt cured it. When you drive it next time put your finger between the A pillar and dash and you will find out quick if this is it. One other location I found was behind passenger side dash. Opened glove box and disconnected so it hung free. Then reached up then behind there with small piece of foam and wedged it so no more rattle. Good luck!!
Old 3/9/14, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the all advice guys, really appreciate it. I think it might be a fan for the AC or heat so I'll look into that. It's definitely not the A pillar noise issue, I fixed that a long time ago haha