2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05 Mustangs at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,
I am relatively new the forum, I like to read a lot but dont post much.
This forum is very informational and always good reading.

Anyway, I am thinking about taking my car to Mid-Ohio for a performance driving school in April. I was just wondering how many people have done anything like this in thier cars, I am sure many have but I mostly read about cars at the strip. My car is basically stock aside from an MRT axle back exhuast. I just want to get some opinions about how the stock breaks and tires will do in a track environment. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
Old 1/26/06, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, if you get any "professional" info please post it 'cause I'd love to do exactly what you've described. Local to me here in Ontario is Mosport and Shannonville - most say the track at Shannonville is more forgiving, too many barriers at Mosport (ie say buh bye to the car if you loose it) - but I'd love to go a bit more exotic.

From a laymans perspective, what I can tell you is that our cars, stock tires/brakes and all, would be just fine if the level of "performance driving" was introductory and not "full out, get ready for racing" level. Quite a few years ago I spent a full day doing all-out pursuit and surveillance driving with a whole bunch of "regular" cars which we really ran hard. At the end of the day, every one of them needed new tires and a few needed brakes. Now the big caveat here is that none of us guys owned these cars. Believe me, if any of them were personal vehicles, you'd of seen much less "constant pushing to the limits, who cares if something goes wrong " and alot more "ok, no more 180's, lets see if we can't get this down in 1 lap".

Anyways, besides the price of admission, you'll definately put some wear and tear on the tires/brakes but to what degree.....depends on your right foot.

Mark
Old 1/26/06, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

My brother who use to work in the Nascar pits told me not to race my Mustang unless I was prepared to change out the tires and brakes often...
Old 1/26/06, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Nick85@January 26, 2006, 7:39 PM
My brother who use to work in the Nascar pits told me not to race my Mustang unless I was prepared to change out the tires and brakes often...
Well, duh. That is true of any car.
Old 1/26/06, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Well, specifically this run the BMWCCA. To my understanding it is not taught by professional drivers but is supposed to be very a very good intro with both classroom time and track time.

As far as racing every weeked, this is not something i will probably do. This much more of a learning experiance for me. I would like to be able to do the occasional autocross or track event, even the occasional trip to the strip.
Old 1/26/06, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did a season of autocross last year in my bone stock 05. It kept up very well to race prepared cars. A lot of people were asking questions after the first couple of run's times were posted and saw where my car stood.

I raced go-carts for 4 years when I was younger and I have done autocrossing for the last 7 years off and on. I have driven Mustangs in all autocrossing, 89, 91, 2000 and now my 05. I can say this, the 05 is a huge improvement over previous Mustangs. It has better weight distribution, stiffer chassis and the panhard rod makes a ig difference in the rear.

I am looking forward to this year with all the suspension mods coming next March for me.

So, take you car out to the track, drive the crap out of it (keep it shiney side up) and drive in home when you are done. The car in stock form is very predictable under throttle. I did have a problem with the ABS doing weird stuff heading into a turn under breaking on a wet track. It kicked in (ABS) and extended my braking distance to the point I had to abort the turn, something to be aware of. Also, leave the TSC off!
Old 1/27/06, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 66stang351@January 26, 2006, 9:47 PM
Well, duh. That is true of any car.

Thank you sir may I have another
Old 1/27/06, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@January 27, 2006, 2:05 AM
I did have a problem with the ABS doing weird stuff heading into a turn under breaking on a wet track. It kicked in (ABS) and extended my braking distance to the point I had to abort the turn, something to be aware of. Also, leave the TSC off!
Funny you should mention this I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if there is a way to turn the ABS off for Autocross?
I'm planning on running my car this year in autocross. I last time was about 25years ago.
Old 1/28/06, 04:39 AM
GTR Member

My only advice is..if ya got money to burn ,then do it. Racing can get pretty expensive
Old 1/28/06, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mlgstang@January 26, 2006, 8:26 PM
Hey guys,
I am relatively new the forum, I like to read a lot but dont post much.
This forum is very informational and always good reading.

Anyway, I am thinking about taking my car to Mid-Ohio for a performance driving school in April. I was just wondering how many people have done anything like this in thier cars, I am sure many have but I mostly read about cars at the strip. My car is basically stock aside from an MRT axle back exhuast. I just want to get some opinions about how the stock breaks and tires will do in a track environment. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
Go for it. No need to upgrade anything for your first time, but a brake fluid flush would be highly recommended. If it is a weekend long event, bring a spare set of brake pads.
Old 1/28/06, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@January 28, 2006, 5:42 AM
My only advice is..if ya got money to burn ,then do it. Racing can get pretty expensive
That is not always the case. I ran around 7 autocross events last year and a drag race and all I had to pay for was gas and the admission fee. Had a blast, BUT, if you want to go faster then you will start to pay. That is what I am doing now.
Old 1/28/06, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by FordRacing@January 27, 2006, 11:20 PM
Funny you should mention this I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if there is a way to turn the ABS off for Autocross?
I'm planning on running my car this year in autocross. I last time was about 25years ago.
Maybe unplug one of the wheel speed sensors. Leaving the system disabled. Not sure how this car is set up with that.

I just came across an autocross track out here(chicagoland). Looking into the event they have in the summer, sounds fun.

......We will use the full 3.56-mile circuit at Autobahn with its 40-feet wide straights and 21 turns
Old 1/28/06, 08:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@January 28, 2006, 12:31 PM
That is not always the case. I ran around 7 autocross events last year and a drag race and all I had to pay for was gas and the admission fee. Had a blast, BUT, if you want to go faster then you will start to pay. That is what I am doing now.
I wouldn't waste my time racing stock..JMO
Old 1/28/06, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I would be just worried about wiping out, lol.

The only other time you could get a chance to drive like this would be running from the cops!
Old 1/28/06, 08:52 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I have a friend who races a 95 "R" in the National Auto Sport Association's American Iron series and he recommend their HPDE course(s). I plan on taking my Mach to Mid-Ohio or Putnam this season. I will have most of my suspension/chassis mods in place and plan to throw my stock rims/tires back onto the Mach for the class.

Here is a little information . . http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
Old 1/28/06, 10:08 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by Nick85@January 26, 2006, 9:39 PM

I did five events in my Mustang last year and am going to do about 12 to 15 or more this year. I'm hooked.

Yep I just got my extra set of 2005 Upgrade wheels and Nitto NT-01 tires to throw on. My local Autocross starts in two weeks oh YEAH

So far I've spent about $600 because I have some longer lasting used tires and used wheels.
Old 1/29/06, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all the opinions and info guys.

I think the only thing I may do prior to this is flush the brake fluid and just plan on replacing the pads alot sooner then normal.