1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Windshield Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/13, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Windshield Troubles

Anyone know if there are different levels of quality of windshields for our New Edge Mustangs?
I picked up my 3rd rock, and it will require my 3rd windshield, in 4 months.

If the windshields are the same, are there overlays that can be applied that help reinforce the windshield?

I will do some looking, but just wanted to know if anyone has been down this road before.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 7/21/13, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a PPG or Pilkington replacement. Anything else out there is going to be of lesser quality. Prone to stress cracks and such. Nothing you can do about the rocks but dodge them... Make sure your installer is one that uses industry standard practices... Not many people know this but the WS is actually structural in the sense that it is factored in to the structural rigidity of the A pillars and crucial in the event of a an airbag deployment.
Old 7/21/13, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
get an oem from your local bone yard?
Old 7/21/13, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Don't follow so dang close?

/I'm sure it's not that... surely... I mean... really.... why else would it happen so frequently.... Just lucky... yeah, that's it.
//And better windshields as suggested.
Old 7/21/13, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
get an oem from your local bone yard?
Not realistic... Can be done but it is rare for them not to bream upon removal. Take a close look at the embossing on your WS. Likely made by one of the two I mentioned... PPG sells Carlite FORD WS...
Old 7/21/13, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Don't follow so dang close?

/I'm sure it's not that... surely... I mean... really.... why else would it happen so frequently.... Just lucky... yeah, that's it.
//And better windshields as suggested.
Not that at all. This one came from oncoming traffic.

First one I was sitting waiting to get back onto highway 2 and a semi passed spewing gravel. By the time traffic allowed me to enter the highway, that truck was nowhere in sight. The only rock to hit the car, took out the windshield.

Second one, had no idea. Never heard anything. Got home, and the next day, right at the star...point of impact...there was a crack radiating out.

Its the old joke, that if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...:/
Old 7/22/13, 07:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by pebkac
Not realistic... Can be done but it is rare for them not to bream upon removal. Take a close look at the embossing on your WS. Likely made by one of the two I mentioned... PPG sells Carlite FORD WS...
bream??
Old 7/22/13, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

bream??
Break.... My bad....
Old 7/22/13, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hi sea if they break it taking it out he doesn't have to pay for it. I only mention the bone yard windshield is because I use to work at one many moons ago and I know those guys can have one out in no time. Some places will even install it for you at like half the cost. I googled bream lol
Old 7/22/13, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Now that is funny... Yeah it can be done pretty easy on the older cars much easier than the new ones... The WS were held in with Butyl back 10+ years ago and a simple cutout with wire could be done. Now with airbags and what manufacturers have learned it is all high strength adhesives. Also don't forget the days when they were simply held in by the rubber gasket. You would use a rope to put them in...
Old 7/22/13, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Garbone
Not that at all. This one came from oncoming traffic.

First one I was sitting waiting to get back onto highway 2 and a semi passed spewing gravel. By the time traffic allowed me to enter the highway, that truck was nowhere in sight. The only rock to hit the car, took out the windshield.

Second one, had no idea. Never heard anything. Got home, and the next day, right at the star...point of impact...there was a crack radiating out.

Its the old joke, that if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...:/

I know the feeling. I don't know how, or why, but my back glass just... shattered. We suspect it was the nearby Grand Parkway construction and the cars from the topside of the overpass were spitting things and they landed on our cars. Several others had right rear quarterpanel windows get shattered too... which makes us wonder if something else were going on... It's still very suspicious, but I can't do anything about that one.
Old 7/22/13, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Almost $700 in windshields in 4 months...makes me want to cuss, or something. Maybe I will take out my frustration on the windshield when I drop it off Thursday to get it replaced with a ballpeen hammer or something...yea, that's it...
Old 7/24/13, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garbone
Almost $700 in windshields in 4 months...makes me want to cuss, or something. Maybe I will take out my frustration on the windshield when I drop it off Thursday to get it replaced with a ballpeen hammer or something...yea, that's it...
I have a question. Why don't you use your insurance?? It will pay all the time and since is the front the prime won't go up. At least is like that in Miami.
Old 7/24/13, 01:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by pebkac
Now that is funny... Yeah it can be done pretty easy on the older cars much easier than the new ones... The WS were held in with Butyl back 10+ years ago and a simple cutout with wire could be done. Now with airbags and what manufacturers have learned it is all high strength adhesives. Also don't forget the days when they were simply held in by the rubber gasket. You would use a rope to put them in...
they still change them out easier or not they still get changed. Op when they changed your windshield was it a one man job or did two guys do it?
Old 7/24/13, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gardy004
I have a question. Why don't you use your insurance?? It will pay all the time and since is the front the prime won't go up. At least is like that in Miami.

$250 deduct...$210+ tax for the windshield...:/
Old 7/25/13, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

they still change them out easier or not they still get changed. Op when they changed your windshield was it a one man job or did two guys do it?
Point is cutting a junker out these days is not easy with the adhesives. They typically break upon removal. No concerns when taking one out that is already broken..... Taking one out and keeping it from cracking is a significant challenge...

Mustang is a one man job.
Old 7/28/13, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Two to remove, one to install.