1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Vortech or Saleen Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey all,

Forums are messed up a little but woulda read up on topics. I am curious if there is major diff between the two? I saw Saleen and thought that would keep the warranty up since its related to ford? I am also seeing Vortech at another ford where i usta live and wondered if it matters which one installed? Is this like turbo or nitrous?? What would i expect to pay for labor plus buying price??

If u'd rather post a good link for me thats cool.
Old 1/11/06, 04:07 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Unless you have a super lenient dealership, any supercharger will void the warrenty period. It is a means of forced induction just like a turbo or nitrous. You are adding a large amount of power to the car in which it didnt come from the factory with.

Now, the main difference between the 2 s/c's are that the saleen is roots style (think03 cobra) in which it will build boost almost from idle, therefore giving you the most low end power and trq of them all.

A vortech is a centrifigual which is especially good at higher rpm's. A vortech will make power way past the redline of your car easily. Under normal driving, the car seems stock as if there isnt even a blower on it. From about 3500rpm up you will start getting into boost, which will come on strong and really pull hard.

It all depends on what your driving style is and how you want the car to react. I love the vortech kits and have installed a few. They are well built and perform very solidly.
Old 1/11/06, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Again they say only if a problem is then said to be caused by said super charger , they have to prove it ! but do you wanna go through that ?
( NO ) so with out their blessing , but now on the other hand my Ford dealer has a SVT shop they order a car send it over to Saleen and wulla here it is ! now did they just go and drop a superchager on or is the engine actually set up for it from the factory in advance here is the car I spoke of
Old 1/12/06, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I would think id want one that i wont have a chance of blowing the engine at high rpms . Yes, i was exactly thinking of that(GHI). I might get the Saleen kit so it can be related to Ford. I saw it was 4500?? ouch.

So is the supercharger in the Saleen mustangs as new? or is Saleen eng completely diff.?
Old 1/12/06, 05:30 PM

A Roush delaer here in Orlando will put a Roush supercharger on, roots styler. It does not void the warranty. May be covered by Roush though.
Old 1/12/06, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

depends on the dealership. some will let you get perfomance parts. but you have to pay their high installation costs. and let them do all the routine maintenance. scion does this also.
Old 1/13/06, 01:28 AM
V6 Member

Superchargers are expensive. I don't mean to discourage you, you should just know what you're getting into before you do it. I'd expect labor tobe at least $600 at a reputable place.

With either supercharger, you shouldn't get on your car until the engine is warmed up. If you do, you can break a piston and have yourself $8 further in the hole to get a new engine (which is actually cheaper than getting it rebuilt in most cases). There are plenty of times pulling out of work that I have REALLY wanted to put a camaro etc in it's place and couldn't because the engine wasn't warmed up.

You will feel it when you get into boost with a Vortec, but if you're racing you really won't ever be out of boost. Why do you want a SC, just to have a faster car or because you're interested in road racing? The saleen might be better if you just want a faster car for the fun of it but (and this may be my opinion) it seems that you can get mroe power out of a Vortec.

Also on cost... If you get a supercharger you will need exhaust to go along with it (there goes another $600+) and I'd recommend a TB with it as well ($200+ after install).

This is why so many end up just investing in a sticker.

You can probably kiss your warranty good bye with any supercharger because Ford will say that the supercharger caused the problem no matter what it is. "Oh, your differential is shot? Your supercharger did it." Some shops will pretend that it wasn't there if you're lucky. Ask and cross your fingers or wait until your warrenty is up anyway.
Old 1/13/06, 08:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by aria@January 13, 2006, 2:31 AM
With either supercharger, you shouldn't get on your car until the engine is warmed up.... There are plenty of times pulling out of work that I have REALLY wanted to put a camaro etc in it's place and couldn't because the engine wasn't warmed up.
You really shouldn't be jumping on it in any car wether its N/A or S/C, without it being warmed up...
Old 1/13/06, 08:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Knight@January 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
You really shouldn't be jumping on it in any car wether its N/A or S/C, without it being warmed up...
This is true, but you are more likely to break a piston etc on a SCed car. Be nice to your cars, guys!