1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Someone please give me some advice

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/05, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Alrighty, I have an 02 GT convert that when I first brought this in for the problem had 30, 460 miles. So it is still covered under warranty. The problem occuring is a surging problem, either like a cylinder is misfiring or not firing, or a feul issue. I first brought this into the Ford dealer on march 3rd of this year.

1st service: I first brought my car in around the end of february for the surging problem. They kept my car overnight and told me it was an issue with the feul pump. So they replaced the feul pump and of course said the feul filter had to be replaced and I had to pay for it. Also I told them there was a horrible squeak in the dash, but of course thats not covered under warranty. So between that and the filter there goes $60. And of course, right outside the dealer, the car was still surging. Ok, so let's try again. :bang:

2nd service: ok, this one took about 1 day or so and they replaced coils #1-5-6-8 and then they replaced all 8 spark plugs, and when that didn't solve the problem they took out 4 of the plugs easiest to get to and left new plugs in #1-2-4-5. Then with no success they called the ford hotline which suggested they replace the feul rail pressure sensor. They did this and called me telling me it was running fine. Obviously excited, I went and picked it up and no less than 500 ft out of the dealer I could feel it doing the same thing. So, onto the next service visit. :bang:

3rd service: This time it went in on march 7 and came back on the 9th. This time my feul pressure was jumping from 7psi-58psi. So now they replaced the PCM and said it was fine. But again, not more than a couple hundred feet away, it is still doing the same thing. Hmmm, wonder why no matter what it will do it for me. But they always allegedly have trouble recreating the problem. But they never ask me to recreate it...hmmm... ok, next try, and you gotta remember, this is the closest ford dealer for about 30 miles, and they are giving me a rental car, so that is why I am continuing to try here. :bang:

4th service: Ok, so now we set it up for me to bring the car in on the 10th of march. Again, they give me a rental and so far all is well. I still don't know all the details on this, as I don't have an R.O. yet because this service visit is still going on as of april 14th. First they start replacing parts in the feul system, then call me asking about the accident I was in. I fax them all the details on the accident, but they see that doesn't lead to an answer. Just to clarify, my driver side was wiped out. New door, new rear quarter panel, and fixed the front quarter panel. So, they get on the phone with ford, but after a few days they tell me Ford is stumped over the phone and will send an engineer. I am told this, probably around the 14th of march. Now, during this time a few of my fellow salesman from the toyota dealer I worked at were down at the lexus dealer nearthe ford dealer. As they were leaving, they noticed a car remarkably similar to mine being driven on 8th street. 8th street is just two lanes each way, heavy traffic, 35 mph speed limit. Now they knew it was my car by the personalized Rhode island plates(this is in colorado), the side pipes, and the silly gold taillights (my black taillights changed color somehow). They pulled up next to and both say the guy was trying to race my car, revving very high and shifting hard. One of the two actually said that they chirped tires in my car, which means traction must have been turned off. Now I did tell the dealer that the problem would happen on heavy acceleration, but I would think that with a highway only a couple hundred feet away, why would you choose to do heavy accel. on a busy street such as this. Now, of course the dealer denies this and said they weren't racing, just testing the car. hmmm.. of course they gotta defend themselves, but I trust the guys I worked with. Anyways, back to service, So around the 15th or so, they say ford is sending and engineer down within a week or so. About a week later, the 22nd, I find out the engineer is on vacation and will be sent down right when he gets back which is about a week later. So, the 30th comes around and I am in my rental car on my way to the Denver airport to fly back to rhode island to set up for my move back home, Now the 30th is a weds. So my advisor calls and tells me that big surprise, the engineer won't be coming down for two weeks from thursday. So, I am still trying to help them out and I bring back the rental and take my car up to denver. Ok, car is still doing the same thing and does it all the time. I can't hardly find a time when it doesn't do it. So jump ahead to the morning of april 13th, weds. My advisor calls me and tells me the engineer is there and they were told wrong with thursday. So, I go down and give them the car. A few hours later, I get a call saying that they can't reproduce the problem. I know it was happening at all times, not just randomly. So this sounds like a little BS to me. But i tell them, get it on the highway in 4th gear and floor it and for sure it will happen. Well, around 4:30pm my advisor calls me back and tells me that the engineer drove it, the tech who has been working on it drove it, and the service manager drove and none of them could find the problem... again I smell BS, but then my service advisor drives it and of course it does the same problem. But at this point the engineer left. WHY WOULD HE LEAVE? I WAIT OVER A MONTH AND HE SPENDS LESS THAN ONE DAY? so, now why would it do it for me all the way there, then three different people drive it and it wont do it. Then my advisor drives it and it does it. He feels bad and told me the engineer told the tech to try a couple thing ssuch as unplug the alternator and see if maybe thats surging somehow. I am just surprised that the engineer just leaves without asking for me to come recreate the problem. Smells fishy to me. And well thats where I am right now, waiting to hear back again. I mean, I don't know what to do, I can't beleive ford can't fix their own car and doesn't seem to be putting forth any effort. The worst part of it all is that I love mustangs so much, I will still buy another one. What is wrong with me? :notnice:

Someone please help, I don't know what to do and I am supposed to make a 2000 mile cross country drive in about 7 days. I am worried about what might happen if the car keeps doing this for the whole drive. Well, any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post too. Thanks all
:scratch:
Old 4/14/05, 03:20 PM
GT Member

sorry to hear about your troubles.

call ford customer service and start a complaint. tell them the entire story.

go to another dealer.

when you take the car in, insist that YOU will drive it to show them the problem.

start researching your state's lemon law.
Old 4/14/05, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude that stinks... i dont have any advice, but i know how you feel. I just got into my first accident last night coming home from work. It wasnt a horrible accident, only me going 10mph into the car infront of me. I was trying to change lanes and lost focus on what was going on in front. Anyways the other car and guy are completely alright (80 something toyota...pos) but my car just happens to have 850+ dollars worth of damage. The hood got cracked right infront, the right head light got cracked, probably need new ones, my brand new mach1 grill is busted, and worst of all my front bumper...which i just spent 500 dollars getting it fixed (it was a used car), is now totally warped.

Again sorry about not having advice for your problem, except maybe driving your car right through those idiots display room window....but i am just venting about my problem. Anyways goodluck with your car and i hope that cross country trip is awsome.
Old 4/14/05, 03:59 PM

Well, just got my car back. The dealer gave up and said that the engineer would b able to come back...in three more weeks. But I am driving to rhode island next week. So once I get there, I will try a new dealer there. Also, Colorado's lemon law only applies during the first 12 months. So, thats out, although rhode island's is different so we shall see what happens there. Also, I tried the customer relations line and they were utterly useless. After about 20 minutes of talking to them and telling her my car is a mustang gt, she asked if it was a diesel? What is wrong with these people? Then she told me that the problem was stated as an ignition problem. Hmmm...like I don't know what the problem is, I never said anything about ignition. Oh well, i will try customer relations again tomorrow as she told me I had to contact my dealer's service manager to contact the regional rep. The rep, will be back in town next month. Woohoo! I hate ford right now.

And cheech, I am sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you can get everything fixed all nice nice. My car, after my accident, still isn't fixed right. The door doesn't line up properly with either quarter panel. But the work is certified, so I will make them do it again when I get back to RI. Best of luck to ya!

Thanks again
Old 4/14/05, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the similar engine surging problem twice now... I have an old thread somewhere if you feel like reading it. Is your check engine light on? if so find what cylinder the misfire is, then you can go from there. All I had to do both times was replace the ignition coil on the bad cylinder and it ran like new again. If it isn't the ignition coil the cylinder could be bad, so run a compression test, also could be a bad connection, or bad spark plug. Next time try to fix stuff yourself, you can save a lot of money and time... I'm only 16 and i diagnosed and fixed the problem myself and saved hundreds of dollars.. Good luck!
Old 4/14/05, 10:45 PM

DF, I actually remember your post, I responded to it back when this problem first happened. Unfortunately, its not a coil problem like yours was. They apparently tried to replace all the coils already. But thanks for the comments. Also, luckily as for saving money, it has all been under warranty. My car still has 5,000 miles and 3 months of warranty left, luckily, cuz so far we are well over $1000 worth of repairs. Thanks though
Old 4/15/05, 07:45 PM
V6 Member

Sounds similar to my troubles (just not as extreme). Whenever I take it to service they can never re-create the problems. Im tempted next time to make one of them to go riding with me whether they like it or not :P

stinks when you feel helpless and feel like people are pulling your chain.
Old 4/15/05, 11:23 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm, if the problem persists, and its still under warranty, would it be possible for the dealership to just give you a replacment? it seems like it may be a defective product....
Old 4/16/05, 10:48 AM

Well, the big problem I have with any sort of replacement would be that this would fall under lemon law. but colorado's lemon law is only during the first 12 months of ownership. Funny thing is, I assume it falls under colorado's law, but when I get back to rhode island we shall see because there it is at any time in general. I mean I know they got left over 03's left and even 04's, so technically they could replace the whole car. Because lemon law states that if a car is in for the same problem more than a resonable number of attempts, and I concider 4 times more than a resonable number of attempts. Or also, if it is in service for more than 30 days for the same R.O. again which it has. And if Ford is given a chance to fix it themselves, which once again they were given a chance. So when I hit rhode Island, I plan on contacting a lawyer and seeing what can be done.

Also, Nuts4ford, Definately insist that you take them for a drive. I should have done that the last time but seeing as how I have not yet found a time it wouldn't do the problem, I find it hard to believe they couldn't recreate it. Thanks again.