1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Saying goodbye to an old friend

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/05, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next month sometime I should be taking delivery of an '05 GT, so this is definitely a happy time. But at the same time, there will be a sadness of sorts when I see my old 95 GT leave my driveway for good with someone else behind the wheel. A moment of silence will probably be in order when that happens...

The good news is that a friend is buying the 95 (so I'll still see it around). He called up a couple weeks ago and asked what I was doing with it. I told him I was selling it privately, told him I was looking to get $5000 for it, and asked if he was interested. Silence... After a moment he said he was just curious, but I could tell it was more than that.

I called him back the next day, and asked him if he'd have been interested had the price been closer to $2500, and he said yeah - he really had no idea what it was worth, and he thought it would be a cool toy to have for two or three thousand. I told him the lowest I should let it go for would be $4500, and that deal would only be for a friend - I have babied that car since I've owned it: Mobil 1 every 3000 miles, never an accident or dent, garaged every night, driven hard but never abused, always washed and waxed, all the required maintenance, receipts for every repair - it's basically in as good condition as a 95 GT daily driver can be in, and still runs as good as it ever has. He took my word for it that the car was worth what I said it was worth, but he said that he really should be thinking of the tractor he needs, etc...

Then this past Friday night, he called back and asked if it was still for sale. I told him yeah, and he said that his wife was interested in it. I told him to bring her over on Sunday and they could take it for a drive. So Saturday, even though it was only about 40 degrees here, I washed her up, vacuumed, and got her all purty. Sunday morning they show up, I gave them the keys and they were off. A half hour later they come back, both with these huge grins on their faces. B) My buddy liked that I had all the maintenance records organized in a 3-ring binder, the 3-inch thick Helm Service Manual, synthetics in the crankcase and tranny, and the general condition and history of the car, while his wife just loved the 5.0 sound. Hard to argue with that!

So anyway, the car has 104K miles on it now, and I'll hate to see it go because it's been so much fun (not to mention excellent transportation), but it is time for me to move on. For the last 13 years, my daily driver has been a Mustang GT, and I see no reason to make a change now with the '05 as awesome as it is.

Besides the condition of the car and how cool it still is, I think what really sold my buddy and his wife on it was the fact that I'm replacing it with another one. There's really no better testimonial than that.
Old 2/14/05, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Man, where were you a few months ago... I was searching EVERYWHERE for a good condition 94-95 GT/Cobra for a decent price... I had pretty bad luck around here (bad condition, way to high prices, not wanting to sell, etc.) I ended up finding a great deal on a 99 GT about 4 months later. My next car is probably going to be 95 cobra, I love that 5.0... I'm sure it will be sad to see it go, it actually wasnt easy letting my 95 v6 go...
Old 2/15/05, 06:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice story. Brought a tear to my eye...since I had a 94 GT in Laser Red back a few years ago. I unfortunately had to trade her in with another vehicle after my divorce in 1999. For the 1999 GT in my sig.
I got the 94 GT in 1996 with 23,000 miles and traded her in with 76,000. I was not a happy camper as I loved that 94 GT. I will probably be selling the 99 GT around 09 for a Cobra or equivilent "SE". Luckily my BIL is a huge fan of Mustangs, especially mine. I too have taken the utmost care of it since day one. He knows this very well. He told me if I decide to sell, come to him first.
I think that would be the perfect solution. I would still get to see my old GT very often.
-J
Old 2/15/05, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like loosing a trusted friend, I once sold a car to a buddy, he is still driving it, 3 years later.....

Its nice to know where she is...
Old 2/15/05, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was a great story! You sound like a true Mustang enthusiast and one that takes pride of ownership to the next level. The '05 is getting a great home. Congrats to you.
Old 2/15/05, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad you found her a good home! Enjoy the new Stang.