1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Question about tints

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/04, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently bought a 99 GT used obviously. Now that I have it I noticed that the tints the previous owner had put on it are starting to peel off around the edges and it looks really crappy. My question is if I were to peel them off would it rip off any of the defroasters on the windows. One guy I asked at a deealership said they would destroy them and i would need new windows, but he seemed a little shady to me. So if any of you have had a similar problem please help me out.
Old 8/3/04, 02:57 PM

The guy was partly right, removing the tint will destroy the rear defroster, but there is no way you would have to replace the window. They sell replacement kits, its been years since I've needed to look for one but I know they were made at one time.
Old 8/4/04, 07:28 AM
GT Member

from your friendly Bama Mafia forums

Removing Window Tint

Supplies

Razor Blades
Windex or Watered Down Ammonia
#0000 Steel Wool
Plastic Tarp
Large Trash Bag
Sunny Day
Patience

Side Windows

-Use the razor blades to get under the tint and make a small dog ear.
-Peel the tint off by putting constant pressure 145 degree's away from the surface of the glass.
-Don't worry if you cannot pull it off in one piece, thats what the razor blades are for.
-After you get most of the tint off you'll notice all the adhesive still on the windows. You will need to get this off.
-Spray the window liberally with the Windex or Ammonia.
-Wet the steel wool with the Windex or Ammonia and being scrubbing. Don't bear down to hard or you will break the class. You can scrub away becuase the 0000 steel wool will not harm the glass.
-Finish by buffing the glass with a cotton cloth.

Back Window

WARNING: If you have a rear defroster, you can damage or destroy the defroster if you are not careful. Proceed at your own risk!

TIP: Park your car with the rear window facing the sun.
1. Use a plastic tarp and cover the rear interior of your car.
2. Spray some water on the outside of your back window.
3. Cut the large plastic bag along the seams so that you can spread it out all over the back window.
4. Lay it on the outside of the back glass and trim it to exactly fit the window.
5. Spray the inside of the window liberally with the Windex/Ammonia.
6. Take the plastic bag you just cut and place it on the inside of the back glass. Make sure you cover the entire rear glass with the bag.
7. Wait about an hour letting the sun bake the tint off.
8. Remove the plastic bag and begin peeling like you did on the side glass. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE DEFROSTER LINES.
9. Peel off as much as you can.
10. Use the cleaning method above with the steel wool.