1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Question about putting a chip in my car...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/06, 11:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about putting a chip in my car...

I have a 95 GT. I have had 2 smog pumps lock up on me and snap my serpentine belt. I bought a smog pump eliminator finally. Now it is giving me some service lights on my dash though; check engine, air bag, and anti lock brake lights. I took it to a Ford House and had it hooked up to a computer. I remember seeing somewhere a Mustang added a chip to eliminate some of the dash lights. I just do not remember where I saw it though. Can someone please explain where I would get one of these? Who sells them? I just have no idea about this stuff! Thanks in advance!!
Old 6/7/06, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you are talking about is a MIL Eliminator (MIL stands for 'Malfunction Indicator Light'). People use them when they perform mods to their car (H-pipe for example) that will trigger the Check Engine light.
However, before using these, I would make sure that your car is okay, and those areas dont actually need any repair. Good luck.
Old 6/7/06, 02:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had it hooked up to the computer the guys at the Ford House freaked out when they saw that smog pump eliminator! It was like right away they chose that for my lights on my dash. I don't even know if that was the reasoning for them to be on. I can se why my 'Check Engine' light would be on. Kind of hard to see how it would trigger my 'Air Bag' light though. After all though, I know nothing about cars!! All I remember how to do is the small stuff. That is why this forum is so good for me to have.

How can I tell if my car needs a MIL Eliminator? I do not want to take it back to the dealership if I do not have to! I was told to take it to say AutoZone or O'Reillys to have it "scanned" or "flashed", I think. It has to be on a 96 and up though, it is a 95!! Thanks so much!!