1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Q & A About Cleaning the Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/04, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello everyone! I have been observing for a while and am ready to make my first post.

Anyway, I have a 1995 Mustang GT (just about everything is stock) and she has been acting a little sluggish lately. A pretty car-knowledage friend of mine (he has a street 99 Trans-Am that runs high 9's) ,who used to have a mustang, told me that the throttle body may need cleaning.

My question is, is this hard to do? I am a novice at working on cars, i mean i can change my oil and do minor repairs (like one thing i have done is changed the alternator on another car), but don't want to try to clean it if is is beyond my skill level.

Also, are there any tips or tricks to doing this? Like, things to watch out for; is there one kind of cleaner that is best to use?

Thanks you you alls time.

Marc D.

Heres a pic of my car.
Old 9/17/04, 04:45 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Its pretty easy to clean the TB. Basically pull the airbox/maf/air tube assembly off and you will see the TB right there. You will need to get some throttle Body cleaner spray though, dont use carb cleaner. There is a protective coating on the TB blade that carb cleaner supposedly will remove.

Also while you have everything apart, may want to check your MAF. If you pull the MAF sensor out of its housing, you will see the sensor wires. My best suggestion on cleaning these is get some electrical contact cleaner (small red areosole can at autozone) and use that to clean the wires. becareful not to touch them with anything that may be dirty or have oil. Also while you have the sensor out of the housing, clean the housing out with the TB cleaner.
Old 9/17/04, 04:57 PM

What kind of process should i use? I talked to another friend and he said to spray the cleaner in there an then wipe it out with a rag? Also, are there any things in particular not to do? Like spray to much cleaner or use water or .....?

Thanks,
Marc D.
Old 9/17/04, 05:05 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

dont use water... water is a bad thing for your motor.

spray it down good with the blade closed, then wipe off excess spray and carbon build up with a clean rag. I'd then open the TB blade and spray cleaner on a rag and use the rag to clean the back side of the blade and as much as you can. That way all the excess cleaner doesnt end up in the intake.
Old 9/17/04, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i never knew you had to clean the throttle body
Old 9/17/04, 07:13 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

you dont ness have to.. but they will get carbon build up on the back of them pretty easy. The reason being is the PCV system lets exhaust gases and also vents the crank case back into the intake manifold system. So acctually the whole intake will get gunk in it.
Old 9/18/04, 12:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice clean 95GT. Welcome.
Old 9/18/04, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

welcome. yeah the TB cleaner works good. i usually just pull my TB off and clean both sides. did it on my 86 and 92. helps the idle alot. and welcome
Old 9/20/04, 09:48 PM

Thanks for all of you alls help. I clean the TB out on Sunday afternoon and while I was in there I changed the air filter. Seems like she idles alot smoother this weekend, also feels like she picked up a little pop too.

But that could also be the new air filter and the fact that it has been like 15 degrees below average this weekend. Thanks again for everyones help.

Marc D. B)