1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

The Plunge, Supercharger time.

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/04, 10:50 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mustangfun101@September 12, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sendero, thanks for the in depth info. I wasn't even thinking about Turbos due to possible lag issues, I'll do some research. I was looking at Paxton also.
No problem!

If I may suggest one setup:

I'd go Vortech V-2 with a Paxton Intercooler. This gets you decent low end with awesome topend. Plus, you do not encounter all the packaging issues of a regular kit.

If I can also recommend a shop to purchase/install your kit: http://www.modularpowerhouse.com/

These guys know their stuff. Scott, as well as many others on their forums can attest to this. They are THE modular engine guru's as far as I am concerned!
Old 9/12/04, 11:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be in Virginia. Purchase maybe, install...doubt it.
Old 9/12/04, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Personally, I hate the sound of turbo blowoff on a V8. It sounds cool on something like the Neon SRT-4, but it just sounds annoying to me on a Mustang.
Old 9/12/04, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Trueblue@September 11, 2004, 3:10 PM
No KB's for '97 GT's.
You're right, it says "coming soon".
Old 9/12/04, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here we go. I did some research and pricing. Now remember I'm starting with 215hp and 265lb ft of torque. I have done a few things, pulleys, MAC cold air intake (kiss that goodbye), throttle body, catback Flowmasters, and soon X-pipe w/cats. So, not totally stock.

KENNE BELL (when it becomes available)
$3799.00 Non-Intercooled. 6psi. 105hp gain over stock.
$4899.00 Intercooled. 6psi. (It doesn't say if the 105hp is with or w/o intercooler).

PAXTON
$3668.00 NOVI-1000. 140hp gain over stock.
$4083.00 NOVI-2000. 85hp gain over stock. (I don't know why it's more, maybe they got them backwards)

VORTECH
$3612.00 w/o Cooler Box. 75hp gain over stock.
$4668.00 w/ Cooler Box. 108hp gain over stock.

Hmmmmmmmm, so much to think about. :scratch:
Old 9/12/04, 05:52 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I echo Nathan's recommendation. We have a friend with a 96 cobra (stock motor from TB to oil pan) who put a vortech SQ trim with a 3 core paxton intercooler. He put down 530rwhp to teh wheels with about 14psi of boost on a really safe tune (i.e. rich).

Also Tim Barth at Modularforpowerhouse is amazing. (most know him by Cobra Killer). He knows what he is doing
Old 9/12/04, 06:00 PM

Vortech S & SQ trim
Maximum airflow: 1,000 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 53,000 RPM

Vortech T-trim
Maximum airflow: 1,200 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 26 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 55,000 RPM

Novi 2000
Maximum airflow: 1,700 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 27 PSI

ProCharger P-1SC
Maximum airflow: 1,200 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 30 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 62,000 RPM

ProCharger D-1SC
Maximum airflow: 1,400 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 32 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 62,000 RPM

ProCharger F-1
Maximum airflow: 1,525 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 38 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 70,000 RPM

ProCharger F-1R
Maximum airflow: 2,000 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 38 PSI
Maximum impeller speed: 68,000 RPM
There's a good chart on airflow. Now on the Novi 2000 vs. the 1000. That rating is based on X amount of boost. The 1000 is more efficent at the low boost numbers, but the 2000 is WHOA! You can pulley that to 27 PSI. Thats right, I said 27 PSI. You may be wondering why I am so excited about that, but based on the CFM numbers of other blowers at higher PSI pressures, you can see how efficent that blower is. IMHO don't even mess with the 1000.

Where did you get the pricing on the Paxton kits?
Old 9/12/04, 10:19 PM

I've had a Vortech V-2 and a Novi 2000. My vote is for the Novi, that blower has so much potential its unbelievable. Contact Modular Powerhouse, they will get you set up.
Old 9/13/04, 12:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got the prices from their websites just for an idea. When it gets closer to the time I'll shop around more.
Old 9/16/04, 03:42 PM
GT Member

Wow, some of you really know your stuff. Thanks for the pointers and webpages.
Old 9/16/04, 10:35 PM

I saw your post about the pricing you've found on Vortech superchargers. Personally I recommend Vortech, my friend used an S-Trim model for his 89 Mustang and was producing close to 600 hp. Granted, there were several modifications...MAF sensor, Injectors, Intake, Headers, Fuel pump and regulator, and throttle body to name a few but what made the most power was the supercharger. Those HP ratings on websites are usually mild and based on stock motors...a supercharger will only amplify any modifications you do to your engine.

Just to help you out the pricing you have found for the Vortech supercharger is way to HIGH! Nobody pays that, I personally know a source that can get you the supercharger for right around $3800. Their phone number is EDIT. They have shipped stuff to me in Ohio. So I am pretty sure they will ship anywhere.

Best of luck!

sdStang

Your post has been edited to protect the phone number of the innocent from internet Spammers/Hooligans. Please use the PM function to exchange information of this type.

-Sendero
Old 9/16/04, 11:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

sdstang, thanks for the info and welcome to the site. I'm only looking for a 100-130hp increase. I figure more than that and I'll be breaking other things on the car.
Old 9/18/04, 11:35 AM

You can safely add up to 500 hp and not have to worry about breaking things on the car...remember these Mustangs are built FORD TOUGH! B) But I can see where you are coming from.

If your goal is to add only a 100-130 HP then a supercharger is the definitly the way to go. It will produce the most bang for your buck and honestly you don't need any other modifications for your goal. The kit will come with everything you need. However, I only recommend you purchase a custom chip for you car when you do the supercharger. Sometimes Vortech includes a chip with their kit but honestly they are junk. For around $300 dollars you can get a pretty nice custom Diablo chip. It will make all the difference in the world to how your car responds to the added power.

Of course an exhaust kit with X-pipe will make that power sound off so everybody knows you're serious!! But again I can't say it enough...you don't need anything else except the supercharger if all you want is a little over 100 HP.

A lot of people will disagree with me but honestly if you start doing things like MAFs, Injectors, and Intakes...you are going to start adding more power...which is what you say you don't want. Something tells me though that after you bolt the supercharger on you will be hungry for even more power!!!!!

I tried to give you the number for my hook up on the supercharger but it won't let me do that here. If you would like that number PM me (hopefully that's correct) and I will be happy to respond with all their info.

By the way...what are you doing in Iceland...are you from there?

sdStang
Old 9/18/04, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

We'll see if the increase makes me want more power. Who knows. I'm in the Navy and stationed in Iceland. Leaving Dec 9th for good, back to the car and mods.
Old 9/22/04, 07:18 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say go with a vortech s-trim on your 97. AFBLUE on this board has one on his and puts out very good numbers. I would recommend the KB, but they dont make em for 96-98 SOHC's. Shame though.
My #s are only that good because I had to pay and extra $1000 to fix a problem that Vortech could not/would not resolve. See below.

I was very unimpressed with Vortech tech support. Examples.

1. Sent the wrong Supercharger model. I requested an SQ (Super Quiet) model and they sent an older model. I didn't notice it until after it was installed at it took several months before they would send the one I ordered.

2. Honestly I was disappointed with the seat of the pants feel. With good reason. I dynoed it and only got 207rwhp on a mustang dynonamter. Mustang dynos give more conservative #s than dynojet. (typically about 90%) 207rwhp = about 260 at the flywheel (rwhp x 1.26 for manual). A gain of only about 41rwhp

3. Reason for these disappointing #s was that my car was running way too rich. I got a new FMU from Vortech and dynoed again. No change in the #s. Well Vortech had no idea how to solve the problem. It was like "it's your problem, you figure it out" Almost a year has now passed and I'm getting ready to move so I need to get this problem fixed. Vortech not being helpful. Also Stang runs quite a bit hotter than normal. Again no suggestions from Vortech. I have to be careful on hot days, or I will get the temp gauge way over to the "L" in normal.

4. The owner of the shop that dynoed my car suggested a reprogramable computer chip (dastek) it cost $900 plus installation and tuning. He leans it out and I get 244.6rwhp at 5300rpm and 278.5rwtq at 4000rpm. This works out to 308 hp at flywheel and 351 lb/tq. This works out to about a 79rwhp increase over stock. I convert these # to dynojet for my signature since that is what most guys use.

5. I had to spend $1000 extra to fix a problem I shouldn't of had in the first place. Consolation is that my #s are higher than they would have been with only the supercharger. Without the chip I should have gotten around 285hp at the flywheel (226 on mustang dyno and 250 on dynojet).

6. Car still runs hot. I should probably get a bigger radiator (already changed out the thermostat)

Bottomline: I can't recommend Vortech based on my experience. If I had to do it over I would probably spend the money on heads and headers.

Just my two cents.
Old 9/22/04, 11:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the info, that is an eye opener.
Old 9/23/04, 07:23 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Mustangfun101: I see from your sig that you are moving to VA Beach. I was TDY there last summer and went to good mustang performance shop there.

http://www.masracing.com/

Only went there once but they correctly diagnosed and fixed a recurring problem with my T-Rex fuel pump.
Old 9/23/04, 08:54 AM

AFBLUE;

First, how many pounds of boost are you running?

I noticed you have a 96GT. Those heads are so restrictive plus the intake is not that great! Also, your dyno numbers.... did you happen to get a baseline before you installed the supercharger? With such low numbers I suspect you are having motor issues that are hampering power production (ie bad piston seals, blowby, head gasket). You should not be overheating at all which further raises my eyebrows as to what kind of condition the motor is in.

If you would like to, you can break this out into another thread for discussion.
Old 9/23/04, 01:08 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

First, how many pounds of boost are you running?
About 8lbs

Also, your dyno numbers.... did you happen to get a baseline before you installed the supercharger
No. I have seen other 5 spd 96GTs that have used the mustang dynonameter. They average about 166RWHP, vs the approx 181rwhp you typically see from the dynojet. So when the car was running rich I was gaining about 41rwhp which is about 52 at the flywheel. Vortech advertises 75 hp gain at the flywheel so I was losing 23rwhp because of the rich settings. Once the car was dyno tuned and leaned out due to the chip, I achieved better than advertised (about 100 at the flywheel). So I assume that the chip and my aftermarket 2 cat exhaust contributed to the additional 25hp (75hp from Vortech and 25 from chip and exhaust).

With such low numbers I suspect you are having motor issues that are hampering power production (ie bad piston seals, blowby, head gasket).
I don't think there was a problem here. The numbers were low because the car was running too rich.

You should not be overheating at all which further raises my eyebrows as to what kind of condition the motor is in.
Let me clarify: The car only runs hot when I get the rpms up (get on it) and its a hot day (80s to 90s). When the car is just going down the highway it will stay right at the 12 oclock position. I don't have an intercooler so this may be part of the problem. Compressing hot air into the engine is bound to raise the temp.

Temp always stayed right in the middle(between the "R" and "M" in NORMAL before the supercharger. After installation the needle moved over to the "M" So I don't think there was any problem with the engine prior to installiation. Right after installition, I babied it but it still ran a little hotter than before. After I changed the thermostat it moved back to between the "R" and "M" but will still climb up on the hot days. I've had several different shops look at it and they can find nothing that is causing the temp to rise.
Old 9/23/04, 10:00 PM

Ahhhh... No intercooler. Yes that will cause a temp increase, but it will also hurt power production. I would seriously look into getting a intercooler because, obviously that will lower your intake temps. If you do this you can advance your spark a lot more than you most likely have now. This will help out TREMENDOUSLY in the power department as you probably already know. I've seen 5* mean as much as 30hp on boosted cars.

But listen to me, you've probably played this senario out in your head. After the intercooler, then its time to turn up the boost. Atleast 10-12 pounds worth!

Quick Reply: The Plunge, Supercharger time.