1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

my gt vs 03 cobra, and 2011 gt

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/12, 06:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zeek
Yeah and that one looks pretty nice!!
I say go with the one that makes your heart flutter, zeek!! (Ok, that was kind of girly but... whatever) Lol!

Deysha
Old 1/4/12, 11:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Wouldn't go that far. Stock motor won't hold 700hp or 20+lbs of boost. But it can make some good track numbers. Full mod for full mod, terminator will own the GT but the GT is still a fantastic car.
Don't get me wrong, the terminator is a great car but the basic building blocks with the coyote S-197 are a magnitude better. The heads alone flow better than the Ford GT/Cobra R/GT500 heads and they sit on a bigger bore. The block has been engineered with supercharging in mind and its topped off with VVT.

Granted the coyote doesn't have a costly forged bottom end but that's the only place the Cobra has any advantage. If a 5.0 guy is going for big power I don't think that will be a big issue.

Get into the chassis side of things and you have dramatically better front suspension with a solid axle rear that is depending on how you feel about it, every bit the Cobra IRS's equal in conjunction with the added chasis rigidity inherant to the S-197.

You and I (speaking from an automotive standpoint) are old lions with plenty of roar left but you can't ignore the fact that pound per pound the new 5.0 is capable of making more power, well at least till Ford gets off its tail and makes that coyote 5.8
Old 1/4/12, 11:32 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
One thing that you have to do is drive both. I own the terminator because it's really a monster, it's not safe at all, unpredictable, uncomfortable, loud as hell and more fun than should be allowed. It's like having a grizzly bear for a roommate. The 11GT actually feels like a Lincoln compared to my car and it's probably the better car. But no where close to being as fun to drive or nice to look at.
Old 1/5/12, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

I totally disagree with you on this one. The 2003 Cobra is one of the cheapest cars to mod. Something as simple as a cold air kit will net you 30hp. Another thing to consider because it is older tech you don't need to reflash the tune after every mod. My Cobra has a throttle body, tune, pulley swap and cat back exhaust and i'm making 447rwhp.... Also from the issues on the new 5.0s tranny and #8 cylinder I would avoid modding the car for a while. The 03-04 Cobras have a proven track record for being very durable cars even when modified. As far as cost of repair they should be close to equal considering the high tech stuff the 5.0 has. IF you mod the 5.0 your warranty is gone anyway!

That being said I think the 5.0 is the better overall car as is in stock trim. The 5.0 is more comfortable and livable for a daily driver (the Cobra's clutch is a leg press) The 11GT also has a superior chassis and stock for stock about the same power. The Cobra on the other hand is more unique and will probably hold it's value better over time...it's value has pretty much bottomed out it shouldn't drop much more as it gets older while the 11GT should plunge in value as the 5.0 cars become more common. just my .02
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I say go with the one that makes your heart flutter, zeek!! (Ok, that was kind of girly but... whatever) Lol!

Deysha
Agree 100% with u guys, this forum is great!!!
Old 1/5/12, 01:39 PM

You can always just buy a blower kit for that gt of yours. Should be able to bring it over 400hp safely.
Old 1/5/12, 11:19 PM

You can always just buy a blower kit for that gt of yours. Should be able to bring it over 400hp safely.
Really that would be really nice, how much are they?????
Old 1/6/12, 07:37 AM

Probably around $5k for a good system.
Old 1/7/12, 09:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Though you are correct about making a safe 400hp with a blower on a 4.62v it's probably cheaper to just buy a factory supercharged cobra that was built and tuned for the extra HP. Once you go more than 400hp it can lead to durability issues. I'd probably sell the gt and buy the cobra or new 5.0

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 1/7/12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 1/7/12, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

Though you are correct about making a safe 400hp with a blower on a 4.62v it's probably cheaper to just buy a factory supercharged cobra that was built and tuned for the extra HP. Once you go more than 400hp it can lead to durability issues. I'd probably sell the gt and buy the cobra or new 5.0
What about if i just get a vortech supercharged for my gt????? Would i have any issues?
Old 1/7/12, 02:53 PM

It all depends on how much power you want and how much you want to spend. Even with the charger, the cobra will still be a stronger car and have more potential. Just depends how much money you have to spare and your hp goals.
Old 1/8/12, 03:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by zeek
What about if i just get a vortech supercharged for my gt????? Would i have any issues?
I think you should also look at the complete picture. Even is you supercharge your GT to be equal to a stock 03-04 Cobra it still is not a Cobra. The resale of a Cobra will always be better than a modified GT. Also the Cobra is more than just an engine, i'll recap the major differences you should keep in mind.

390HP DOHC Supercharged V8 that was built to be supercharged and very durable and receptive to mods.
A tremec 6 speed transmission than is super strong and the envy of 11-12 5.0 owners .
Better brakes and suspension to handle all that extra power that your GT doesn't have.
Though it doesn't really make a difference in performance the Cobra has IMO better looking body panels (hood, bumpers, trunklid, better interior etc.)

So could you make your car perform better than a 03-04 Cobra. Sure. But if you look at everything that you get with an 03 Cobra or an 11 GT it is cheaper than modifying your GT in the long run. I highly recommend upgrading your brakes and suspension if you supercharge your GT so the money for that on top of the supercharger would probably make it not worth doing. Once again if you are not attached to your current ride it is probably better to buy a better factory vehicle than to upgrade yours if you can afford to do so.

Part of the reason why I bought my Cobra was because I knew way too many friends and family who spent fortunes modding their GTs and 5.0 LXs back in the day while I had a faster more practical car for less money. Sure you put more money in up front but it is way cheaper than hopping up a less powerful GT...
Old 1/8/12, 03:41 PM

Can't agree with this more. I bought my modded cobra 1 1/2 years ago for $24k and you just can't buy a better performing car for that money. And I still prefer the looks of the terminator over all other mustangs.