1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

The Little things for HP

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will be a semi long post so bare with me.

Most cases, once we all do the key bolts on to buff up the engine stability for bigger horse power later, some things that can be done to get even a little more horsepower is usually forgotten or not messed with due to money v. horsepower gain. This all depends really on what you want to spend your money on or if you want to really see what you can get out of that V8 engine with no help from juice.(still great to have no doubt)

I have a vision, which is to get my 2002 Mustang GT to a solid 300rwhp with no help from a S/C or NOS. Granted 300rwhp isn't that great of number compared to all the new cars coming out putting out a minumum of 325 or more, but I guess you could say it is just a personal thing. Not looking to win any races just looking to see what the limit is.

With my current bolt-ons listed in my sig, I am putting down between 265 to 275 rwhp on a nice cool day. I have read through multiple mustang mags and google searches to come up with the following "extras" that may get me that magic number. I know there is so much you can get out of a engine that is so big without big help from S/C or NOS but that is my gaol, to find that limit.

Ideas/Things in Question:

-Aluminum Driveshaft
-4.6 Airaid Throttle Body Spacer
-Exhaust wrap - will explain later
-Steeda Timing Adjuster
-High Power Alternator
-High Power Water Pump
-High Power Oil Pump
-Fuel Lines
-Fuel Injectors
-Denso Spark Plugs - got good ones now but I think these are better
-Spark Plug Wires
-Spark Plug Protector Covers
-Intake Manifold
-Ignition Wires
-Ignition Timing
-Flex-a-lite Fan
-Heads/Cam package - this one is a gimme, cause I am doing this next summer and will no doubt get me to or close to 300rwhp.

Reason for Exhaust wrap for the headers is because that is the only thing that is just to pricey for the upgrade and not convinced it is worth doing just yet for the money. Most of the items I listed are simple upgrades ranging from $100 to $450. Some of the things we all know will give some horsepower, I am just looking for those things that are rarely changed before a S/C or Turbo kit that may still benifit the naturally aspirated engine.

I know you are thinking why not just spend the money on better things to get more bang for the buck and I see where you are coming from but I am just curious I guess. Thanks for those who gave some of your time to read my long and boring post and any feedback is very appreciated. If the topic expands, we can get into more detail over some of the items.

Good Hunting,
Jason
Old 7/18/05, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds pretty good, uhh, boring an engine is pricy, but it would help, i tihnk the heads and cam will give you the biggest boost, maybe some 3v's of a 2005, i know people see big ower jumps my port polising them
Old 7/21/05, 02:34 PM
GT Member

well you won't have to worry about the spark plug wires
Old 7/22/05, 02:12 PM
V6 Member

After a deep discussion with the performance shop owner that has done all my work and my dads car work, we picked out the more important things that are worth doing and going over the "why" and "why not". We are getting a game plan for mid September to do the Meziere Electric Water Pump, Aluminum Driveshaft, Steeda Timing Adjuster, Intake Manifold, put some new Spark Plugs in and maybe upgrade the MAF. Hoping to upgrade the radiator and fan in Febuary and a Heads/Cam package come spring. Got my fingures crossed for 310rwhp or so and some really good torque.

All the other stuff on that list either wasn't worth doing or not ready to do yet. Headers is on my list, just still trying to justify the price v hp gain. I will post my dynos as I progress through the coming fall and winter months.

Good hunting!
Old 7/26/05, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by gnatsum265@July 22, 2005, 3:15 PM
After a deep discussion with the performance shop owner that has done all my work and my dads car work, we picked out the more important things that are worth doing and going over the "why" and "why not". We are getting a game plan for mid September to do the Meziere Electric Water Pump, Aluminum Driveshaft, Steeda Timing Adjuster, Intake Manifold, put some new Spark Plugs in and maybe upgrade the MAF. Hoping to upgrade the radiator and fan in Febuary and a Heads/Cam package come spring. Got my fingures crossed for 310rwhp or so and some really good torque.

All the other stuff on that list either wasn't worth doing or not ready to do yet. Headers is on my list, just still trying to justify the price v hp gain. I will post my dynos as I progress through the coming fall and winter months.

Good hunting!
SCT Xcalibrator 2 w/89 octane and 93 octane performance tune
Dragon Intake Plenum
Long Tubes w/full exhaust
Steeda U/D pullies
along with Heads and Cams should get you there.
Old 7/28/05, 12:44 PM
GTR Member

first thing you do should be 4.10 gears and subframe connectors.
Old 7/30/05, 06:04 PM

i agree with doug on the gears. you should definitely look into the 4.10 gears, i've got them on my 95 stang and WOW. They may not add a bunch of horsepower, but you can feel the difference big time!
Old 7/31/05, 02:01 AM

what do they normally come with for gears ?
Old 7/31/05, 10:17 PM

well, 94-95 GT's come with a stock 3.08 , yeah so pretty high. i'm not sure what an 04's stock gears are, i'll try to look it up and i'll let you know if i find anything.
Old 7/31/05, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Speaking of the little things for HP. I believe Horsepower TV did an episode where they added Royal Purple oil, Purple Ice in their radiator, and Royal Purple transmission fluid.

I could be wrong, but I believe they got like 8-12hp just for those simple mods. However the price tag was like $90 bucks.

I could be off on the numbers, but someone will correct me.
Old 8/2/05, 06:21 AM
GTR Member

04 stock gears are 3.27, 4.10s or 4.30s will wake it up like u put a blower on it, they make the mod motor come alive.
Old 8/2/05, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

I currently have 3:73 gears in her now. Only reason I didn't put 4:10 in was because I was told they are loud or something, is this correct?

I have been reading alot of things saying that using different oil and adding some sort of good quality radiator coolant would help. I was having a hard time believing it. Never thought about transmission fluid. I will do some research on it. Anyone that has used a different oil type and/or radiator coolant and knows it made a difference, please let me know.

Thanks again
Old 8/2/05, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by gnatsum265@August 2, 2005, 2:44 PM
I currently have 3:73 gears in her now. Only reason I didn't put 4:10 in was because I was told they are loud or something, is this correct?

I have been reading alot of things saying that using different oil and adding some sort of good quality radiator coolant would help. I was having a hard time believing it. Never thought about transmission fluid. I will do some research on it. Anyone that has used a different oil type and/or radiator coolant and knows it made a difference, please let me know.

Thanks again
Here's a link:

http://royalpurple.mfsperformance.com/

They got like 9 HP, and Hod Rod TV got 10 HP.
Old 8/3/05, 11:15 AM
GTR Member

haha, 4.10 gears arent loud. The extra gear makes the motor turn higher but it makes it accelerate faster also.