1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/06, 08:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made him a note and taped it to the door.

Oh and! The plugs he removed were Bosch'. The originals would have been Motorcraft, right? So it was tune'd up then, correct? I don’t know what matters but I wanted to know; for some reason.
Old 8/1/06, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could there be a problem with MAF? I dont know for sure if that could cause the problem. The only reason I ask this is because nobody has mentioned it. I would personally change all filters just to rule them out.
As I said before have you checked your fuel filter? My GT would start to have a problem under heavy acceleration, dropping power then returning with a bump, like it was short on fuel, I changed the filter and the problem was gone.
It also runs smoother now with a much more understandable power delivery (if that makes sense?).
Old 8/1/06, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't know. It idles kind of fine. But when you give it any gas, it almost dies. I went and saw him about an hour ago and he had not had the time to look at it today. He mentioned testing its fuel pressure and the fuel pump is all I know. Again, I have to just wait.

Is the fuel pump in the tank? I went on O’Reillys website and there was all types to choose from. I clicked the electric fuel pump though, was this right? Thanks!
Old 8/1/06, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, just a couple of more thoughts. On your mass air meter, take it out and spray some electrical cleaner on the meter wires, let them dry, they'll dry quickly, then try driving the car. If that doesn't help then you can try replacing the ignition module on the side of the distributor, which will probably be easier for your machanic to do. On another thought, have you tried cleaning your IAC valve? Carb cleaner works good on them. You want to take it off, should be mounted to the side of your throttle body, and spray it out really good.
Old 8/1/06, 06:00 PM
Cobra R Member

[quote=tricky02GT]Could there be a problem with MAF?

My fuel pressure is fine, he now thinks it is this!! Thanks!!
Old 8/1/06, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hopefully this will turn out to be the problem. THese kinds of symptoms are always kinda tough to diagnose because there are so many potential intake/fuel problems.
Old 8/1/06, 11:20 PM
Cobra R Member

My mechanic and me got to thinking. Wouldn't a cold air kit help? I want one, so say yes! Would that require me using my original MAF? I found a K&N kit on Ebay for like $126.99/shipped. I know nothing about these, too. I am going to show it to him in the morning. How much are the MAF's? See ya!!
The good news is I am out like $9 for the fuel filter only! He is not charging me for all the extra stuff he has done. I am going to pay him though! Thanks again!!

Item number: 320012761130, btw!
Old 8/2/06, 04:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

The CAI likely wont solve your problem. The MAF will be re-used though, so if that's the problem, you will need a new one for the intake.
Old 8/2/06, 04:55 PM
Cobra R Member

My car is fixed, for now. My driveway is all dirt now. It got up in my air filter and in the MAF, I guess. He cleaned that all out and it idles and runs fine now! Friday @ 2, I am getting the rear speed censor checked. He says that controls how your car shifts gears. It is shifting at a higher RPM. I just bought the CAI kit! I know that will not fix the MAF, but it will look cooler. I am parking my car in another location until I can get that dirt fixed somehow. All I can afford is gravel right now. Thanks a whole bunch helping me out!!
Old 8/2/06, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's good that you got it fixed. It a little worrisome how all that dirt managed to bypass the filter and reach the MAF sensor, unless it was just the filter that was clogged with dirt. Either way, it's good that you got it fixed, and stay away from dirt!!!
Old 8/2/06, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

I have that K&N recharger kit thing. At my last oil change I had that done. I knew dirt was bad for paint, dirty. I now know it can really suffocate your engine!! It took a long list of possible things wrong, but they finally figured her out! Thanks again!! No, they just blew it off on my last change. I scheduled its own appt to recharge it. It should have still been pretty clean. Did I mention I bought that K&N CAI? Well, I did. Is the MAF something you need to change every so many miles? Or just when they go bad? See ya!
Old 8/2/06, 10:02 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
You maf shouldnt ever really go bad. Sometimes the sensors fail and then you replace just that.

Also remember when you do a K&N filter recharge, dont soak it in the oil. It cant soak in properly and it will get soaked into the intake tract, therefore getting oil on the MAF sensor wire and causing improper readings. I've seen that happen way to many times.
Old 8/2/06, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

I had that done for me, but I will ask.