1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/12, 06:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forged pistons

Ok...so down the road I would like to put forged pistons in especially since I'm in the process of boost....if I'm keeping the same 4.000 bore as the stock in my 95 cobra I don't need machine work right? I heard the crank needs to be balanced but that's it right...install pistons, balance crank and good to go?
Old 9/24/12, 07:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by staakattack
Ok...so down the road I would like to put forged pistons in especially since I'm in the process of boost....if I'm keeping the same 4.000 bore as the stock in my 95 cobra I don't need machine work right? I heard the crank needs to be balanced but that's it right...install pistons, balance crank and good to go?
It would probably be a good idea to get them bored just a little. I mean, when you pull it apart you can decide by looking and the walls, but considering the age and whatnot, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it machined a little bit.
Old 9/24/12, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd add that if you're doing forged pistons you should probably do forged rods and a high strength aftermarket crank, and of course get it all balanced while you're down there. As far as I'm concerned it's best to open the engine once and build it up right rather than to throw a rod or something once you start adding boost.
Old 9/24/12, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Hmmm...well do you think I'll be good to boost on stock internals for a little while until I can pay off some bills and save up for the bottom end rebuild?
Old 9/24/12, 08:35 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Hmmm...well do you think I'll be good to boost on stock internals for a little while until I can pay off some bills and save up for the bottom end rebuild?
If you do, buy a big enough blower to be productive for a built motor later. You can always get a larger pulley for the blower and/or smaller crank pulley to tone down the boost. Too many people go with big boost then blow up. Build a bigger engine to handle the boost and then not have enough blower. And I agree with a full built and forged bottom end. DO NOT! Cheap out when it comes to crankshaft selection either. Bottom end is only as strong as its weakest component.
Old 9/24/12, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

**turbo. I'm not gonna be running it with a boost controller so I'm gonna leave the waste gate with the designated spring for the time being until the motor can handle more boost
Old 9/24/12, 08:41 PM

**turbo. I'm not gonna be running it with a boost controller so I'm gonna leave the waste gate with the designated spring for the time being until the motor can handle more boost
In that case. Get ready for the KABOOM!
Save up for that new motor NOW.
Old 9/24/12, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

Haha uh oh....so your saying build the motor first and don't risk it?
Old 9/24/12, 08:50 PM

Haha uh oh....so your saying build the motor first and don't risk it?
I'm saying forget the turbo idea all together. Lol. What are your horsepower goals for the car? Or quarter mile goals? Set a reasonable goal and then find out the best/most reliable way to reach your goal. It's an old school 302 pushrod motor. There is nothing that hasn't been done to them over and over again.
Old 9/25/12, 05:23 AM
V6 Member

Hmm well problem is I already have the turbo kit...I have a buddy of mine rebuilding the turbo for me at the moment....I want a street able mustang...i like boost, I know turbos are more risky than SC's but I already cornered myself because I already have it, I'm only a fan of the SC's that replace the upper intake and from I see they are insanely expensive...I got it for insanely cheap an a couple guys have checked it out and agreed. Why are you so against turbos?
Old 9/25/12, 11:14 AM

I'm not really against them. They make fantastic power. The faster full race cars are running them. I never see them work out as far as daily drivers. Just hate to see you go down the same road so many have traveled and failed.
Old 9/25/12, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

Oh no it's not a daily driver...I mean street able as to car meets and maybe a couple street races. I just don't have intentions for the track...at least not yet
Old 9/25/12, 02:08 PM

Oh no it's not a daily driver...I mean street able as to car meets and maybe a couple street races. I just don't have intentions for the track...at least not yet
Best advise is keep the boost down and keep it running slightly rich. Adequate fuel supply is a must. The good thing is its a 302 and those motors are cheap to replace.