1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Engine accelerates rough when punched

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/11, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine accelerates rough when punched

A week after having a major tune-up done to 1996 GT, I'm getting some hesitation when I accelerate quickly. I can feel a lot of power being lost. No engine lights come on. I cleaned my K&N air filter, which I don't oil at first, but I did eventually, but the same problem exists. Acceleration is a tiny bit better, but no where near like she used to run! What else can I check? Vacuum hoses?
Old 11/22/11, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

What type of plugs did you use?
Old 11/23/11, 10:00 AM

Not sure what plugs were used (Yikes!), a "referred & trusted" mechanic did the work for me. I did not supply any parts or specified any, but I'm suspecting the plugs (what do you recommend?) might be the culprit and maybe the coil pack? I hit the hwy this morning w/ smooth steady acceleration and she ran fine, but as soon as I punch it, she starts to gargle and hesitate. Im also noticing a heavy fuel smell when I shut the engine off. This is why Im suspecting the Coil Pack. Somewhere between not enough spark and/or not enough Fuel, the truth lies. Is it necessary to have same brand Coil packs too? I had two MSD's on there and one was replaced because it broke off during inspection and was replaced with a similar coil pack.
Im learning as I go, any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by David96GT; 11/23/11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11/23/11, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im guessing stok cats still on car since inspections? That could be an issue as well
Old 11/25/11, 07:03 AM

Remedy for now

Im re-learning the art of smooth acceleration ( granny-drivin'). Car runs fine as long as I dont hammer the pedal. Ive researched some sites about this problem that Im having, and it's narrowed down to two possibilities. Coil Pack or Cats. First, Im going to get another MSD Coil pack and replace the Stock coil pack that was an ill advised replacement for the broken MSD. With 2 Like Coil packs kickin', I think my problem will be solved. How could my mechanic miss that? and advise me to use the staggered combo Stock/MSD coil packs? If this fixes the problem, I've learned a huge lesson.
Old 11/26/11, 11:48 PM
V6 Member

If the coil pack doesn't do it then just for ****s and giggles take your throttle position sensor off and if it looks kinda crusty just replace it. I had a similar issue with my explorer. I just didn't have the gas smell.
Old 12/3/11, 07:59 PM

Solved Problem! First I want to thank the members who posted on this thread on possible solutions or issues to check out. THANKS A MILL! Now to the good stuff...
So, I received a new MSD Coil Pack from AM and installed. Piece of cake! Then I moved on to replacing all the "new" plugs that were done about a month ago from a "referred" mechanic (NEVER AGAIN!) Turns out, not only were the wrong plugs installed, and gapped incorrectly, they were USED already and fouled out! So I replaced ALL plugs with Double Platinum Autolites, and gapped .054. one at a time. The wires were fine since they were truly the only NEW part installed by this 1/2 **s mechanic. I double checked all hoses and tubes. I discovered 3 leaks in the exhaust system and plugged them up w/ this liquid weld stuff. That explains the heavy fumes I've been smelling. Anyway, I fired her up and hit the road. I must say, my car is running BEAST! She runs better than when I first got it over the summer! Thanks everyone for the tips and hints again and NO THANKS to the dillweed mechanic that hosed me. I got a Haynes book and this Forum to help me trouble shoot, and resolve problems w/ my Pony, I dont need you!