1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Convertible Top Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/13, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Top Replacement

Hello, new to the forum and wish I found this site under better circumstances. I have a 2000 GT Convertible that had the top cut last night. I am wondering what the replacement cost is (roughly) so I can decide whether to pony up the cash on my own or pay the deductible and have insurance take care of it.

The car top was cut and spray painted. I have to get spray paint off the windows and rear quarter as well as the rim. It was parked at a train station in the North Shore of the Chicago burbs for a few hours.

The worst part is, the car is COMPLETELY original with only fluids and tires replaced. It only has 13,000 miles on it. My wife is heartbroken and I need to get it back to pristine condition.
Old 2/6/13, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/9904-c...top-parts.html

Was it cut all the way thru?

Sorry to hear what happened to a car with hardly any miles!
Old 2/6/13, 09:23 AM

The outside vinyl was cut all the way through behind the passenger window and the top above the window had knife holes through the top and the inner liner.

It was an act of simple destruction, the car wasn't broken into (nothing in it at all) it was simply cut and spray painted.
Old 2/6/13, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Personally I would pay the deductible as it is quite an expensive job with parts and labor.
Old 2/8/13, 02:23 PM

The top itself is affordable ... You'll pay between 150$-350$ . But the labor isn't cheap ! It's roughly a 6-8 hours job . I wanted to change mine and the grand total was about 1200$ . And don't even think about doing it yourself ... I heard its a real pain in the a+}*}+}+{% !! So I would go with the deductible ... I know it sucks but it's the cheapest way .
Old 2/15/13, 08:39 AM

Make use of your insurance. Sure the paying the deductible might hurt, but in the end it will be the least expensive way to go. Unless you want to tackle the job your self. I have watched a few videos on how to do it, and it is doable. If you are in a cold weather climate it would be of great help if you have access to a heated garage to do this yourself so the vinyl would be easier to streach for proper fit.

Now, just a thought. Why not step up to a cloth convertible top replacement? I think the cloth looks better than the vinyl ever has. It will be alittle more out of pocket, but worth it.
Old 2/15/13, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Make use of your insurance. Sure the paying the deductible might hurt, but in the end it will be the least expensive way to go. Unless you want to tackle the job your self. I have watched a few videos on how to do it, and it is doable. If you are in a cold weather climate it would be of great help if you have access to a heated garage to do this yourself so the vinyl would be easier to streach for proper fit.

Now, just a thought. Why not step up to a cloth convertible top replacement? I think the cloth looks better than the vinyl ever has. It will be alittle more out of pocket, but worth it.
be careful with cloth. it collects more stuf than the vinyl. My cat sat on my vinyl top and left no mess. my neighbors cat sat on his cloth tops and it had to be shaved. Also that age and that few miles it sound like it is better to go with original
Old 2/15/13, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
be careful with cloth. it collects more stuf than the vinyl. My cat sat on my vinyl top and left no mess. my neighbors cat sat on his cloth tops and it had to be shaved. Also that age and that few miles it sound like it is better to go with original
Which got shaved, the cloth top or the cat? Had to ask. I'm not a cat person, I know what path to future correction I would take.
Old 2/15/13, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Which got shaved, the cloth top or the cat? Had to ask. I'm not a cat person, I know what path to future correction I would take.
Knowing my neighbor probably both LOL
Old 2/22/13, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How much is your deductible? This would be covered under comp.