1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch & Aluminum Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/12, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All!

I recently had a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch installed by a Ford Mechanic/Mustang Enthusiast. He told me everything installed smoothly.

With that said... I've noticed a few differences:

1). The engagement position of the clutch feels much higher than it used to. I have to release the clutch pedal from the floor about 2 inches until it grabs. This doesn't bother me a whole lot cause I now only have to push in the clutch only an inch or so in order to engage. This works well for quick shifting. Since the engagement is so high up... I just have a small concern that the clutch is always engaging slightly when the pedal is up. However... I'm pretty sure I would feel that happening ... Right? I looked into adjusting the clutch quadrant teeth engagement.... But from what I've read... The only way I can adjust it would be opposite of what I'd like to do; it would put the engagement even higher (towards my seat). I followed the instructions to auto adjust the clutch (stated in the manual) but it seems to already be at its happy position. I know I could get an adjustable Clutch cable... But I still question why the position adjusted in the first place ???

2). When the clutch does grab... It wants to bog out fairly quickly. I'm chalking this up to the lighter flywheel installation. Any disagreement?

3). Sometimes moving at a snails pace in 1st or 2nd gear... I can hear an odd vibration or rattle... It seems to only do it when the clutch is engaged. However... I have heard a similar sound when at a stop and in neutral (no clutch)... And when I rev the rpms and let them fall... The sound sometimes happens close to idle

I'm probably over thinking all of this... But I'd rather be safe than sorry

Thanks for taking the time in reading this.

Last edited by Chubbs88; 8/29/12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 8/29/12, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Chubbs88
Hey All!

I recently had a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch installed by a Ford Mechanic/Mustang Enthusiast. He told me everything installed smoothly.

1). The engagement position of the clutch feels much higher than it used to. I have to release the clutch pedal from the floor about 2 inches until it grabs. This doesn't bother me a whole lot cause I now only have to push in the clutch only an inch or so in order to engage. This works well for quick shifting. Since the engagement is so high up... I just have a small concern that the clutch is always engaging slightly when the pedal is up. However... I'm pretty sure I would feel that happening ... Right? I looked into adjusting the clutch quadrant teeth engagement.... But from what I've read... The only way I can adjust it would be opposite of what I'd like to do; it would put the engagement even higher (towards my seat). I followed the instructions to auto adjust the clutch (stated in the manual) but it seems to already be at its happy position. I know I could get an adjustable Clutch cable... But I still question why the position adjusted in the first place ???

2). When the clutch does grab... It wants to bog out fairly quickly. I'm chalking this up to the lighter flywheel installation. Any disagreement?

3). Sometimes moving at a snails pace in 1st or 2nd gear... I can hear an odd vibration or rattle... It seems to only do it when the clutch is engaged. However... I have heard a similar sound when at a stop and in neutral (no clutch)... And when I rev the rpms and let them fall... The sound sometimes happens close to idle

1) you can adjust where your clutch will grab at it's a little tricky but once you play around with it you understand the mechanism, it's located near your feet while driving, looks like half a circle with teeth on usually white/tan color

2&3) no help there
Old 8/30/12, 03:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chubbs88
Hey All!

1. What Dbraham said. You can also get an adjustable clutch quadrant that allows you to adjust the clutch from the firewall on the engine side. Makes it easy to do on the fly.

2. I would agree with you on this one. It could also be where the clutch let's out. I know I don't like a high clutch bc I tend to have that problem from time to time.

3. For this one, I think its the TOB. Nothing to worry about, aftermarket ones are notorious for doing this and making a high pitch whine (which it what mine does). Its nothing to worry about though.
Old 9/7/12, 08:59 AM

2-3 occurred when i changed my flywheel. Higher rpms do the trick because of the weight reduction.