1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

¿Best Long Term Color?

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/04, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,

I haven't been too picky on color, I've been more concerned with price and features. A while back my favorite was Dark Shadow Gray.

However after seeing the Screaming Yellow in person......ironically parked right next to a Dark Shadow Grey.....the Screaming Yellow BLEW the DSG out of the water. I still like the DSG, but I've been yellow crazy for the last few days.

My question is in the long run what is the best color to maintain? Would the yellow fade out in a few years? I've heard the difficulty of keeping black clean, would yellow hide dirt better? Pretty sure yellow would hide scratches easier, because it's a light color.
Old 8/5/04, 05:43 AM

Not sure about Fords and long term durability of the paint, but from reading the forums the marks don't seem very high for any color and overall durability - at least as far as stone chips and the like. I've got the dark shadow gray - love the color and especially how it looks with the Bullitt gray wheels. FWIW, my last couple of vehicles have been silver. Silver is the magic color for someone that doesn't like to constantly detail their car - it never looks dirty! OTOH, you can spend all day washing, waxing and detailing and it hardly looks any different! For the GT I wanted something different, a darker color but not black. As good as black looks clean (the best IMO), it quickly looses trhe luster with a little road dust or splash. Don't have it in me to maintain a black daily driver.
Yellow and black (trim) is another favorite color combo of mine, but only looks good on certain cars. It'll certainly make the Mustang a stand-out, which may or may not be good depending on who's checking you out.... (and how fast you're driving)
The shadow gray has a certain stealth quality that really appeals to me.
Old 8/5/04, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is BLACK, and yes I have to wash it constantly...and the smallest scratches are obvios (to me)...Black is by far the smoothest when clean, but rain once (as it always does after I detail it) and its dirty all over again....
Old 8/5/04, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I love DSG. Cleans up beautiful, and is a lot easier to maintain than black.
Old 8/5/04, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 04 GTVert@August 5, 2004, 5:46 AM
Silver is the magic color for someone that doesn't like to constantly detail their car - it never looks dirty! OTOH, you can spend all day washing, waxing and detailing and it hardly looks any different!

Yellow and black (trim) is another favorite color combo of mine, but only looks good on certain cars. It'll certainly make the Mustang a stand-out, which may or may not be good depending on who's checking you out.... (and how fast you're driving)
The shadow gray has a certain stealth quality that really appeals to me.
As far as yellow, yes I would add black detailing to dull down the yellow. I wasn't too fond of the yellow until seeing how much the black helped it on the Mach 1.

I guess I'm still unsure basically here's my breakdown:

Yellow:
+Stands Out
+Chick Color
+Different
+Hides scratches
-Paint Flakes noticed easier

Silver:
+Hides Scratches
+Maintains easy
-Common color

DSG:
+Hides Dirt
+Not a common color
-Shows Scratches
Old 8/10/04, 08:21 PM

The lighter the color the more UV and harmful light will bounce off. Also the lighter the less noticable the dirt will be. Metalic paint is a bit different though. For example, a white car will get dirty and may not look shinny but can still look good and relatively clean where as a silver may not look dirty but will look grey and non metalic.

Black is great for someone with a love of shine and way too much time on there hands.