1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

96' GT suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/12, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' GT suspension work

just finished replacing end links, swaybar and rack and pinion bushings on my '96 GT. I went w/ Energy Suspension bushings. Its one of the easiest upgrades I've done to my pony thus far! I don't think my work is complete yet cause I can still hear a *clunk* when I took it out for a test ride. Creaky Quick stops and starts are gone now, but that doggone clunk is still there. I've narrowed it down though. Im learning as I go, and I discovered I'm on borrowed time w/ the tie rods. There's some play when I wiggle the tire @3 and 9o'clock positions. It looks like the bushings in the Springs could use a replacement as well.
I was thinking, do I go ahead and get some beefy ball-joints to go w/ a bump-steer kit? Or just get a hearty tie rod and ball joints and be done w/ it? I don't run road courses, do track times or drag race. It's my daily driver and I just love taking her out on the interstate and eat up foreign "sports" cars! An occasional Chevy or Dodge gets caught up in the mix, but they're fair game too!
Old 4/9/12, 08:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
First thing I would do is get under it with an impact and a set of sockets. Tighten every suspension and frame bolt you see. It will really surprise you how many pops and creaks are taken care of with this.
Old 4/10/12, 05:34 AM
Cobra R Member

stay away from the bumpsteer kit but go for high quality replacement parts. The clunk actually could be a bad strut mount, strut bearing or even sway bar mounts. Is the noise from the front or rear ?
Old 4/10/12, 09:19 AM

@ Skunk21, YES! noise definitely coming from the front. Some sqeaks from the back, but I'll get to that another day. My vehicle is lowered 1.5" when I bought her. Complete w/ Eibach lowering Springs and CamberCaster plates. That's why I was asking about the bumpsteer kit. It should correct some of the bumpsteer, but not all. But is it worth it? @AL'sCobra, thanks for the advice!
Old 4/10/12, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

If you want a quality bumpsteer kit then imho take a look here:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...cPath=514_3_13

Check for obvious and easy stuff. lower control arm bushings, sway bar mounts/bushings, leaks from the struts, tire rods, etc. The strut mount/bearing would be the last thing since it is next impossible to check w/o taking it apart and the least likely but still possible. The sway bar mount can be very noisy. They where bad on my moms old Lincoln LS sounded pretty bad lucky we hada good dealer who knew they where a problem, very easy to through parts at it for sure.

Last edited by skunk21; 4/10/12 at 04:44 PM.