1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

95 GT starting up problem ** PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/05, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked to the mechanic and he said he had check that and it wasnt the cause.
Old 4/1/05, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. The fuel pump is in the trunk. When the car is off and you turn the key to the on position (without engaging the starter), you should hear a healthy, 1-2 second buzz from the trunk area. That's the fuel pump pressuring up the system. If you're not hearing that each time you start the vehicle, this could be your problem. Note, the fuel pump is an electric device - it can quit working when it heats up and start working again when it cools off.

If you are hearing it pressure up, and it sounds a little strained, it could be a clogged fuel filter. The fuel filter is accessible from underneath the car below the driver's seat.

If the fuel pump is bad, take it to Ford and let them fix it, because it involves dropping the fuel tank. Personally, I'd let any mechanic do the fuel filter, but I won't do it myself. Too messy!

Do have the mechanic double-check the Idle Air Bypass Valve too. I think these guys above mentioned IAC, and I think that means the same thing but I'm not certain.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 4/10/05, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by jchrystal@April 1, 2005, 7:17 AM
Sounds to me like a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. The fuel pump is in the trunk. When the car is off and you turn the key to the on position (without engaging the starter), you should hear a healthy, 1-2 second buzz from the trunk area. That's the fuel pump pressuring up the system. If you're not hearing that each time you start the vehicle, this could be your problem. Note, the fuel pump is an electric device - it can quit working when it heats up and start working again when it cools off.

If you are hearing it pressure up, and it sounds a little strained, it could be a clogged fuel filter. The fuel filter is accessible from underneath the car below the driver's seat.

If the fuel pump is bad, take it to Ford and let them fix it, because it involves dropping the fuel tank. Personally, I'd let any mechanic do the fuel filter, but I won't do it myself. Too messy!

Do have the mechanic double-check the Idle Air Bypass Valve too. I think these guys above mentioned IAC, and I think that means the same thing but I'm not certain.

Good luck!

Jim
yeah its the same thing. they change the names on them so much. its listed by 2 different names in the haynes manual.
hope you get this figured out.
Old 4/28/05, 10:52 AM
GT Member

Check out the following link, it's not the best forum in the
world, but it appears there are at least 3 or 4 topics concerning
'95 mustangs that are shutting off.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/f146...diagnosis.html
Old 8/17/05, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Marc, I think you should post the solution to your problem for others who may have the same problem.

Thanks for the info.
Old 8/31/05, 09:43 AM

Your ignition switch is actually a small box that sits on the side of your steering column and is controlled by a steel rod from the key. And yes this will cause that sort of problem. The switch has two sides ignition controlled and a battery side. The ignition controlled side powers your fuel pump and accessorys. The battery side controls such things as your starter. I have put 2 on my 94 GT. Do not buy aftermarket. The switch is actually cheaper from your local ford dealer and its a better switch. If you have any mechanical ability it only takes about 10 min. to change.
Old 9/20/05, 02:33 PM
vld
GT Member

fixed this yet? here are some things to check...
have you messed with the timing?
egr valve?
o2 sensor?
fuel filter?
vacuum leak?
possible you could be losing compression?
when was the last time starter was replaced?
did they replace your fuel filter when they did the pump?

any unusual sounds coming from the engine?

fuel use off?

engine power where it should be?

is it a hard start when the engine is hot?

how does she idle?

when was the last time you bought a battery? terminals clean?

it sounds to me like you may have more than one problem.
Old 12/5/05, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Whatever happened? I am anxiously awaiting the end of the story as my newly acquired 95 Cobra is doing the same thing.