1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Supercharging my six-pot w/ ATI Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/04, 11:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good points. I have wayed options like this before. I think with the market the way it is for used GTs. You could probally upgrade for three thousand dollars to a GT, depending on your car miles, etc.. You would be better off this way having the 8.8 rear end, sub-frame connecters (more important than you may think), and the 4.6 engine. If you where going to spend about seven thousand on mods before, now you would still have four thousand left for the 4.6. Way further ahead this way.
Old 11/19/04, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@November 18, 2004, 8:45 PM
I wasn't being harsh or degrading to the V6, on the contrary, I was trying to be informative and realistic. Neither am I claiming to be a mechanical expert. What I can claim is having had some major migranes because of my lack of knowledge, poor planning, and bad decision making in different projects. I call it "learning while getting kicked in the... teeth".

It is not just slapping an s/c and you're done. There is a lot more to it. A professional can confirm and provide details on the requirements according to you car's specs. Here is a few questions you might like to ask yourself: What do I need to upgrade to accomplish the proper gas/air ratio; injectors, spark plugs, tune? How about the rearend, gears, clutch, transmission, brakes, will they work and last with the added power? How about the internals and cooling system, will they be able to sustain the added stress and heat? Last and most important: safety. Is the traction and handling affected?

My comments are meant to provide facts that will enable the enthusiast to make a logical and informed decision. Otherwise a dream project can turn into a nightmare, and to get rid of it the solution is usually unplanned expenses.
True...I agree with you all the way! I am not a mechanical wonder myself. Just slapping on a s/c and calling it a day is not the way one should approach a project like this. Undertaking a project on this scale takes a lot of time and a lot of thinking before you embark on it. It will also cost you an arm and a leg and will leave a big hole in your wallet trying to buy the parts you need to do this. Once you get started, it also takes some blood, sweat, and tears to accomplish a task such as this, but once you're done and like the finished product, then it is only then you will realize that it was well worth it.

In case you missed my first post on this thread, all the questions that you asked are also the questions that I have also posted and they are of great concen to me as well. I don't merely want to just slap on a blower without thinking about the effects and reprucussions it will have on the rest of the car. In fact just installing a blower and leaving the car stock without changing a few other things to make that blower work more efficiently and effectively is a bonehead's approach to getting performance. The last thing I want to do is to just slap on a s/c only to have my motor blow up while running down the 1/4 mile or while I'm just cruisin around town.

I know you weren't trying to be harsh or degrading to the v6 and its owners on here, but the way you said it seemed like you did. I even agreed with you that to some extent, modding out a six is a waste, but for some that can't afford V8 performance of a GT, Mach, or Cobra, its a good starting point. Sure, even if I do proceed with putting a s/c on my six, it's still not going to be fast enough compared to a Cobra or blown GT or Mach. The point I'm making here is that my V6 is the only mustang (only car for that matter) that I have right now and I want to make it more lively and fun to drive. Someday when I get the cash, I'll be able to afford a new V8 stang, but it's all I've got right now and I'm doing my best to collect as much information on superchargering a v6 so that I don't blow my motor.
Old 11/19/04, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by distortion@November 19, 2004, 12:13 AM
All good points. I have wayed options like this before. I think with the market the way it is for used GTs. You could probally upgrade for three thousand dollars to a GT, depending on your car miles, etc.. You would be better off this way having the 8.8 rear end, sub-frame connecters (more important than you may think), and the 4.6 engine. If you where going to spend about seven thousand on mods before, now you would still have four thousand left for the 4.6. Way further ahead this way.
Good point as well. Right now I'm kind of divided on whether I should trade in my six for a 04 GT because they are now dirt cheap since a lot are just sitting on dealer lots (read my other thread in the Which is Better? section of the fourms if you want more input) or if I should keep and mod my V6 and wait for the 07 Cobra. I'd very much like to have all three, but right now the Cobra is just a dream car that I'm going to have to work my azz off to be able to afford once I'm done with college and don't know if the V6 is worth trading in because it has a lot of miles and I'm pobably not going to get much for it. Also, with me being in college in all, I don't know if I could afford the GT. I still have like 13K left to pay off on the six, so I don't know how this will affect my monthly payment on the GT. But from a performance stand point, getting a switch to the GT seems like a better plan than swapping in a new motor, but then I don't want to get myself into debt either. Looks like I might just have to go with the traditional hot rodding way of adding up parts as time and budget allows.